This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090914 - Virtual Private Networking

edited September 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the fascinating topic of virtual private networking. In the news, we talk about the new iPod nano, Twitter's new terms of service, people failing at hiding pron, and saving America from un-science.

Comments

edited September 2009
    To answer Rym's question about whether sending someone an instant message constitutes as a proper notification: according to Dutch court, yes. At least, if you are BREIN and are trying to sue the Pirate Bay.

EDIT: "Poel" is pronounced like "pool".
    Post edited by ... on
  • Scott's list of features in an iPod killer very closely mirrors my list of requirements for an e-Reader. If someone made a Kindle-like device that supported the display of numerous document and image types, wasn't DRM'd all to hell and back, had drag-and-drop ease of getting files onto it, and had the ability to sync to both my PC and my friends' readers via a wireless connection, I'd be all over that like white on rice. Closest thing I've found so far is a Hanlin eReader (a.k.a. BeBook), but the price point needs to come down a bit before I'll actually take the jump.
  • Scott's list of features in an iPod killer very closely mirrors my list of requirements for an e-Reader. If someone made a Kindle-like device that supported the display of numerous document and image types, wasn't DRM'd all to hell and back, had drag-and-drop ease of getting files onto it, and had the ability to sync to both my PC and my friends' readers via a wireless connection, I'd be all over that like white on rice. Closest thing I've found so far is a Hanlin eReader (a.k.a. BeBook), but the price point needs to come down a bit before I'll actually take the jump.
    The thing with eBook readers is that the screen technology just isn't there yet. The BeBook is very very nice, though.

Portable media players, like the iPod, are far more infuriating. There is no technological limitation preventing anyone from making a device as I described it. All those things exist, and can be put in a small package with decent battery life. It's simply that nobody does it. Think of how far we would be if normal people could make hardware as well as software.

What I really don't get is this. Sure we know why Apple makes the decisions they make, and adds the features they add. But there are other players out there. Creative, Sony, Samsung, SANDisk, and Microsoft: what the fuck are you doing?

There has to be something the fuck wrong in the world. Thousands, perhaps millions, of geeks out there reading Engadget know exactly how to beat Apple and take over the world. Yet, all of Apple's competitors just keep making poor imitations with only a fraction of the quality and features. What the fuck is wrong with them?

My theory is that working in an electronics factory with all those chemicals makes you stupid.
  • Scott, why don't you work on it yourself (or get a job at one of the companies) because if it is so easy then you should be promoted quickly and become mad rich :-p
  • edited September 2009
    Scott and Rym need to each make a Tweet stating that it is illegal to post their tweets and then ask people following them to retweet it. A link pointing to the episode might also be an idea.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Scott, why don't you work on it yourself (or get a job at one of the companies) because if it is so easy then you should be promoted quickly and become mad rich :-p
    If someone made me the boss of a team of engineers with the resources to create such a product, it would totally happen. The thing is, nobody will hire me for such a job because I have nothing related to that field on my resume. All I have to offer is a feature list. I would do it myself, but it's not just a matter of software, it's a matter of hardware.

I guess what I could do is create the software for the theoretical device for some other device, maybe even just for a computer. The thing is, embedded software like that is so platform specific.
  • Just so you guys know, Google Voice isn't doing the gmail style "Everyone gets 10 invites" thing. You have to go to the site and request one from Google.

Also, GVoice lets you download voicemails as MP3s, so you don't have to pipe it in through the mixer, unless that's how you guys roll.
  • Scott wireless syncing is on the Zune my original Zune 30 can sync to my computer.
  • Scott wireless syncing is on the Zune my original Zune 30 can sync to my computer.
    Can it synch over Wifi on its own? Without tethering to your computer?
    Can it synch over Wifi on its own? Without tethering to your computer?
    I'm pretty sure it syncs over wifi TO your computer.
  • Select one:

> Tethering as in wire.
    > Tethering as in I enable wireless sync by connecting Zune via wire to enable wireless sync via computer software and then no wire ever again.
    > Tethering as in can only sync with one computer.
  • Select one:

> Tethering as in wire.
    > Tethering as in I enable wireless sync by connecting Zune via wire to enable wireless sync via computer software and then no wire ever again.
    > Tethering as in can only sync with one computer.
    Other. No computer necessary. Portable media player IS a computer. Can freely send and receive media to/from other computers using wireless Internets, Bluetooth, and/or USB.

If you're having trouble understanding, think about this. Why do you need iTunes to run on your PC? iTunes, the full thing, should be on the iPod. You turn on the iPod, it IS iTunes. Your library is on the iPod. That's it. No syncing required. Just transfer files to it, and it adds them to library. Delete files from library using the controls on the iPod.

There is no technological reason for this not to exist. It's absolutely possible to make such a device. In fact, the iPod Touch and Zune have all the hardware necessary to do this. They simply do not have the software necessary.
  • Scott your right I just misunderstood what you were saying. You were saying like an iPhone OS update without iTunes PC software while I was hearing connection to PC.
  • Scott your right I just misunderstood what you were saying. You were saying like an iPhone OS update without iTunes PC software while I was hearing connection to PC.
    Wireless connection to PC should also exist, but that alone is not enough.

Think about Dwarf Fortress. The game does so many things right, but the bad user interface ruins the whole thing. Archos just came out with the Archos 5 Internet Tablet. It is basically a portable media device that runs Android. It's not a phone. It does so many things right, like it has a ton of storage space, and it can play audio and video of just about any codec. But the horrific industrial design just ruins it.

When we're listing off features that should be in such a device, you have to have ALL of them. If you mess up just one part, it ruins the whole deal. You have to make something that is just obviously superior to the iPod nano. You have to have everything it has, and more, and better. Steve Jobs is making it easy by leaving out so many obvious and simple features. It's just that the competition is too incompetent.
    Tried to sync something right now through wireless and Zune didn't add content I wanted to sync.
  • You have to tell both the Zune and the computer to sync, otherwise nothing happens. This renders the wireless feature useless as you have to be close to the computer anyhow.
    iTunes, the full thing, should be on the iPod.
    What about battery life? Itunes would kill it.
  • You wouldn't be running the full iTunes software all of the time, though.
  • What about battery life? Itunes would kill it.
    Why?