This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

R.I.P. to Patrick Swayze

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Notes from CNN:
CNN reports that Patrick Swayze, whose good looks and sympathetic performances in films such as Dirty Dancing and Ghost made him a romantic idol to millions, has died.

Swayze was 57.

The actor died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. His doctor, Dr. George Fisher, revealed in early March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from the disease.

Swayze "passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," his publicist, Annett Wolf, said a statement released Monday evening, according to KTLA.

Most recently, Swayze starred in A&E Network's "The Beast," which debuted in January. He agreed to take the starring role of an undercover FBI agent before his diagnosis. The network agreed to shoot an entire season of the show after Swayze responded well to his cancer treatment.

In an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters in January, Swayze said his work on that show was exhausting, requiring 12 hour workdays in Chicago, Illinois, doing his own stunts. But he said the show's character "just felt right for my soul."

Swayze continued, saying, "If I leave this Earth, I want to leave this Earth just knowing I've tried to give something back and tried to do something worthwhile with myself, and that keeps me going, that gets me up in the morning. My work ... is my legacy."

He will be missed.

Let's have no more celebs famous people die this month, okay death?

Comments

• I hereby dub the ushering in of the '10s the year where all the '80s stars will die. First Michael Jackson, then John Hughes, now Patrick Swayze. The pattern is starting to make itself known.
  • Swayze, Kennedy, Paul, Cronkite, McMahon.
    You're getting a little too good at this.
  • In memoriam
  • Oh and the most disturbing threesome in TV history, ever!
  • I didn't even know he had pancreatic cancer. The survival rate of that one is depressingly dismal. His poor family.
  • I refuse to believe it. No one puts Swayze in the coffin.
  • I refuse to believe it. No one puts Swayze in the coffin.
    As tasteless as that is, I couldn't help but chuckle a little, uncomfortably mind you.
  • edited September 2009
    I refuse to believe it. No one puts Swayze in the coffin.
    This tragedy only serves to prove that no one puts baby in a corner, but you can put a Swayze in the ground.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • you should all watch Steel Dawn on hulu in remembrance.

-F
  • you should all watchSteel Dawnon hulu in remembrance.

-F
    Or Get Ghost out from the video store.
  • Or GetGhostout from the video store.
    Shudder... (see above).
  • If I were to choose a Swayze movie, it would be either Roadhouse, Point Break, or Red Dawn.
  • If I were to choose a Swayze movie, it would be eitherRoadhouse,Point Break, orRed Dawn.
    Either? I say ALL THREE.
  • Either? I say ALL THREE.
    True. At first I just thought about Roadhouse, but I then thought about the other two. Those are pretty much my three favorite Swayze movie.
  • Is there no love for The Outsiders here?
  • edited September 2009
    you should all watchSteel Dawnon hulu in remembrance.

-F
    Or GetGhostout from the video store.
    Will there finally be a sequel now?

Sudden realization: Now the zombies can learn dance moves from Michael Jackson AND Patrick Swayze. Those zombies will be some dancin' fools.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on