This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Necessary Games for NES

edited September 2009 in Video Games
I have recently acquired an fully-functional NES with 2 controllers and a Duck Hunt gun, but I've only got the Mario/Duck Hunt game.

What other games are necessary to improve my NES experience?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    -Megaman
    -Contra
    -Link/Zelda
    -Mario 3
    -River City Ransom
    -Castlevania
    -Excite Bike (as Luke already pointed out)
    -Punch out!
    -Crystalis
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Ninja Gaiden. Fucking hard, but actually worth it for the cut scenes.
  • Nintendo World Cup has my recommendation.
    Bucky O'Hare is a decent game if you don't already have Megaman.
    Kirby's Adventure is also good.
  • Nintendo World Cup has my recommendation.
    Bucky O'Hare is a decent game if you don't already have Megaman.
    Kirby's Adventure is also good.
    I forgot about World Cup (the Kunio one is better, but there is no English cart), if you get the four player adapter, it's an awesome party game.
  • Ikari Warriors
    Tetris
    Metroid
  • Bubble Bobble.
  • edited September 2009
    Bionic Commando
    Tecmo Bowl
    Castlevania II (EGKU WSUW X32U V2ZG -- password still stuck in my head 20 years later.)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Megaman 2/3/4
    Blaster Master
    Metroid
    Ninja Gaiden
    Arkista's Ring
  • Ok, I should have been more specific. What is the best multi-player game (in general) and best beat-em-up game that I must own?
  • What is the best multi-player game (in general)
    Ice Hockey
  • Double Dragon 1 and 2
    River City Ransom
  • Yeah, Double Dragon 1 or 2.

Are TMNT 2 or 3 good?
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Double Dragon 1 or 2.

Are TMNT 2 or 3 good?
    Yes. 2 and 3 kick ass, 1 is shit.

I know Rym might be outraged when I say this
    but Get Castlevania 1 and 3, stay away from 2 because it is shit.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Get Castlevania 1 and 3, stay away from 2 because it is shit.
    The English language doesn't have the words to express how wrong you are.
  • Silver Surfer

Ok, not seriously. But if you turn on invincibility and just watch the game, there is some creepy stuff in there that can only have made it past the censors by being inaccessible due to the difficulty.
  • Get Castlevania 1 and 3, stay away from 2 because it is shit.
    The English language doesn't have the words to express how wrong you are.
    Can you back up that statement? What makes it so good in your opinion? I want a list stating what you think makes it a good game.
  • I want a list stating what you think makes it a good game.
    You're the one who said it's shit. I want a list stating what you think makes it a shit game.
    You're the one who said it's shit. I want a list stating what you think makes it a shit game.
    He thinks it's bad because Angry Video Game Nerd told him it was.
  • He thinks it's bad because Angry Video Game Nerd told him it was.
    To be perfectly honest, it's probably been 20 years since I've played the game -- it may well be garbage. Lord knows my tastes were not so refined back then. I just remember that I had a very good time playing it -- I actually enjoyed it more than Castlevania 1.
    He thinks it's bad because Angry Video Game Nerd told him it was.
    Not true, not true. I knew it was bad before that because I rented when I was a wee one. I beat Castlevania 1 and I was expecting more of the same. Even though I had expectations, I tried to analyze what made it bad.

1: Although the adventure aspect was interesting and it was brave of them to attempt a new genre, the jump was too abrupt.
    2: Nothing is really explained to you well enough to the point where you know what you have to do and can be independent, and it isn't so hard to make a good translation.
    3:As the AVGN noted, the change to day to night are obtrusive and could be done simply without text boxes.
    4: Most of the endings are absolute ass therefore negating the point of the game.

That's pretty much all I've got.
    I actually went to find this video, and let me summarize it for you - Whiny Git has a cry for nine minutes, with three valid complaints interspersed in his shitting-on-the-game-for-the-sake-of-it style of review, and at the end, leaves you with a distinct feeling that you regret the fact that you will never have those nine minutes back, and a very clear idea of exactly why Yatzee became a hot property, now that you've observed the competition.
    I actually went to find this video, and let me summarize it for you - Whiny Git has a cry for nine minutes, with three valid complaints interspersed in his shitting-on-the-game-for-the-sake-of-it style of review, and at the end, leaves you with a distinct feeling that you regret the fact that you will never have those nine minutes back, and a very clear idea of exactly why Yatzee became a hot property, now that you've observed the competition.
    I actually watched Zero Punctuation before Angry Video Game Nerd and that was the exact reaction to the first and only Angry Video Game Nerd I will ever watch.
  • Castlevania II problems are a product of the time it was made. Back then difficulty was a feature in video games. From start to finish, games like Contra or Ninja Gaiden are not very long. Castlevania II is a bit of an extrapolation on that concept, since the normal stuff you would expect to be hard in a Castlevania (enemies and bosses) are really easy. The challenge is navigating this large world based on clues you gather from it.

Of course, this idea would work a lot better if it had a good translation and people didn't outright lie to you. Certainly I wouldn't call it the best Castlevania, but is by far from the worst. It's also a much better departure sequel then say, Zelda 2.

Oh and as far as NES games worth owning, I'd strongly recommend The Guardian Legend.
  • Faxanadu is also a good one to own too.
  • Bionic Commando:
  • edited August 2014
    Bionic Commando is one of those games on my short list of "classic games that I missed." Maybe I'll get around to it sometime soon. Growing up in a Sega house (against my own will), I only briefly had access to a family loaner NES when a distant uncle went into the military. But I've had the ROM for 15 years, and fuck, I even have a boxed copy for NES that I picked up at a yard sale 3 years ago. No excuse!

Maybe one of these days when I need some hardcore procrastination, I will make a full "classic games that I missed" chart. I didn't start charting plays/purchases/wants in spreadsheet form until 2007.
    Post edited by Matt on