This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Distinct facial characteristics

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Just posted on my blog, but I thought it might inspire some discussion here:

For as long as I remember, I've had a mole just above my mouth, on the right side of my face. In photos of my twin brother and I as a child, it's the easiest way to tell us apart. When I was learning my left hand from my right, so I knew which hand to hold my pen when writing, I'd do a quick check on the mole to see which side of my face it sat.*

Of course, I know it mainly from looking in the mirror, so when I see it on a photo it always looks like it's on the wrong side!

And, when taking and selecting promo photos, it always really stands out. Or at least it does to me. The other moles on my face, while just as dark, are never so large and prominent. I feel fine airbrushing them away, but when I airbrush the large mole above my lip? It just looks weird! It is obviously a big part of my self-perceived identity.

This photo is one like I just described... I took out the mole, but then hit ctrl-Z until it returned.

Also visible on this photo is the fact the "parting" on my eyebrow hair isn't in between my eyebrows, but part way along my right eyebrow... it's amazing how well you get to know your own face after 29 years.

Which is why, now something has changed, it keeps catching my eye, though 99.9999% of other people will never notice. Here's the story:

1. Shaving the mole is always a bit tricky. I sometimes cut it.
2. A large spot appeared directly on the mole.
3. I shaved, and sliced the top of the spot right off.
4. This small wound bled a lot, and took ages to stop.
5. I must admit I picked at the scab a bit.
6. A week or so later, the scab crumbled away in the highly satisfying way that scabs tend to do.

The result? The mole is now made up of some kind of scar tissue. It has lost a lot of its colour, and while the size is the same, it has lost a lot of its definition. The sharp edges have blurred, if you will. Check out this photo I just took:

Compare it to the mole on my cheek. These two moles used to be the same colour! I don't think it'll ever return either, so I guess I've got to get used to my new face.

* To be honest, I still do this sometimes.

Comments

• Sorry, had to get it out of my system.

ANY WHO.

If you wanna talk distinct facial characteristics, I really don't like my nose. It's too big. Seriously.
  • Compare it to the mole on my cheek. These two moles used to be the same colour! I don't think it'll ever return either, so I guess I've got to get used to my new face.
    I picked off one of my moles in much the same fashion when I was a child. The mole comes back. The scar is a bonus for you to keep. If you want a mole removed, you need to have it done by a dermatologist.
  • If you wanna talk distinct facial characteristics, I really don't like my nose. It's too big. Seriously.
    Your nose looks fine.

My nose has been broken twice, and it points a little to the left, so it has a big impact on how I look depending on which side you see me from. I now have a very pronounced "good side" and "bad side".
  • I picked off one of my moles in much the same fashion when I was a child. The mole comes back. The scar is a bonus for you to keep. If you want a mole removed, you need to have it done by a dermatologist.
    This. Moles have root tissue (they're benign (usually/hopefully) tumors), much like warts, skin tags, and quite a few other sorts of other growths. Although, on your face, it's best to leave them alone, because even the best dermatologist can't prevent a scar.

I have some small pockmarks from chickenpox, but the worst are on my forehead and are masked by my hair. Otherwise, they're not that noticeable. My cheeks get quite rosy at times, but only after some exertion, or if I am terrifically drunk.
  • I used to have a couple moles on my neck and shoulder, but they were surgically removed years ago. They never came back.

Personally, my biggest defect these days, though I don't really think it's that big a deal, is that I have tons of scar tissue left over from when I had horrendous acne back in high school. Luckily, none of that scar tissue is on my face, it's all on my chest, shoulders, and back. I'm don't know how many people here are familiar with Acutane, but I ended up taking it as a way to get rid of my whole body acne. As a side effect, the acne did get significantly worse for a while, often creating huge, crater-like holes in my chest and back, but by the end of the treatment, I barely got any pimples at all. The scars are still there, but at least they have gotten less noticeable over time, plus I've grown up enough to not really care what I look like. It's an interesting conversation starter too, especially when people know what Acutane is.
  • huge, crater-like holes in my chest and back, but by the end of the treatment, I barely got any pimples at all.
    Yeah, I have some interesting crater pockmarks on my back and chest from the chickenpox. I remember my GP being like, "Oh yeah, that's just necrotizing tissue on your forehead." Those are the worst scars, but I've got some bad ones on my belly and shoulderblades.
  • I've been on Acutane twice because it came back in full force after the first time. Even now it's starting to come back again, but no fucking way I'm going through that a third time. I can only hope it stays this mild.
  • I've been on Acutane twice because it came back in full force after the first time. Even now it's starting to come back again, but no fucking way I'm going through that a third time. I can only hope it stays this mild.
    My mom also had to take Acutane twice, and she still gets acne in her 50s. I'm hoping I don't have to take it again.
  • Distinct facial characteristics... I've got eyebrows? I don't really have anything what I consider notable concerning my face. I have a mouth, a nose, glasses, two eyes, two eyebrows, two ears and hair.

So I'd like to nudge this thread in a more 'general' direction. Distinct bodily (?) characteristics.

I've got a hole in my right hand. Well, it is more like a dent in my skin, just below the bottom knuckle and just to the left of the tendon of my middle finger. I've had it for quite a while, it was if I recall correctly once a small scab, that I of course kept peeling. Another thing I know off and feels like I've had it since birth is my left collar bone, whose end sticks out on top of my shoulder. Then there's also the scar next to my dick which I've had since I was a little baby, I kept re-dropping my balls.
  • A big Jew nose, but not so big that it stands out compared to other Jew noses. I guess I have a stubble, but that's just because I am lazy about shaving. If I shaved every day, that wouldn't be.
  • I guess I should also count my glasses. I have rectangular-framed, horn-rimmed, hipstery glasses. I kind of use them as a crutch; they pull attention to my eyes and mask imperfections (especially around the bridge of my nose). Love that tortoise-shell.
  • I suppose I have fairly thick eyebrows, and unusually full lips with a crease in the chin just below them thanks to my slightly recessed jaw. If you think about the whole body I've got a sort of spork-shaped scar on the back of my hand, which is kind of cool.
  • My eyes are green with yellow around the pupils and some people say that my nose looks like it was broken.
  • edited September 2009
    I've always had a mole right above my cheek underneath my right eye. I've never really picked at it and never really thought anything of it, unless someone pointed it out. Some people envied it as some sort of beauty mark. The mole doesn't stick out, so I tend to forget that I even have one. I think it's alright. It' s a unique feature and that's about it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I have two moles over my left eye that I always draw when I draw myself. I've occasionally accidentally airbrushed them out of photos, and it always looks weird.

glory3

Also, although difficult to see in this photo...I have an adam's apple. Which I am told is weird, since I am a girl. Hmmmm.

As for general traits, I'm covered in polka dots. They are all pretty distinct, and the rest of my skin is colored pretty uniformly. This is different than the typical splotches of freckles I have seen on other people.

DSC_0165
  • edited September 2009
    One eye is bigger than the other. It's not super noticeable unless I say so. It got that way from fighting in my younger days. My nose has bumps on it from past pimples. It's like that big nose Saruta guy! I'm very dark so people think I'm a foreigner often. Plus, I have scars from past pimples. My whole head is shaped like a rectangle or a pineapple.

Plus, all in all, people think I'm a man because of my face. Even with girls clothes people think that.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Also, although difficult to see in this photo...I have an adam's apple. Which I am told is weird, since I am a girl. Hmmmm.
    It's not that weird, just standard deviation. Some men have very pronounced Adam's apples and some less so. Same goes for women, though the norm there is no visible Adam's apple.
  • I have been recognized twice in the last few days and have received a fist bump because of my sweet mustache. Once at the beer garden where the guy even remembered my name and once at Autozone where I didn't even have to tell them I needed the Code Reader. The fist bump was from some drunk kid at Larkfest.

I grew the goatee to cover a mole on the side of my lip my sophomore year at NU. I've had glasses since I was in 5th grade. I think I look ridicules without them.

I also have a really big tongue. Not sure if that counts, but I like putting it out their. :P
  • edited September 2009
    ----------------------------I'm naked below this line.-----------------------------------------------
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You're a good looking dude, Churba.
  • You have very gorgeous eyes. O_O /mezmerized
  • I've got one mole that sticks out of the left side of my neck, and two little ones right next to each other on the right side.
  • That video sums up everything I hated about the Austin Powers movies.
  • edited September 2009
    You're a good looking dude, Churba.
    You have very gorgeous eyes. O_O /mezmerized
    Shoulda known Churba was a handsome dude. He's awesome in most other ways, why not physically too?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited September 2009
    It has also been independently verified that Churba looks much like a thug.

I have a much smaller mole in the same place as Luke, it's really not a mole, more just a discolouration, makes me look like Konata with an afro.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Posted By: Neckpuncher FetusYou're a good looking dude, Churba.
    You have very gorgeous eyes. O_O /mezmerized
    This.
  • I have a dimple in my right cheek when I smile, but not in my left. I have a ton of freckles, but I have a dark one on my nose that looks like a nose piercing.
  • Alright, since Churba did a glamour-shot, I'll do one too. My most distinctive feature is probably my very deep-set and perpetually dark-circle-y eyes. And the aforementioned broken nose. Aside from that, I'm pretty much an average white guy, to the point that I've been mistaken several times for other average white guys, and the person doesn't realize it until they're a sentence or two in.
    but I have a dark one on my nose that looks like a nose piercing.
    I used to have a nostril piercing, but it closed up on me (after five years!) when I left it out overnight. I kinda miss it, and sometimes I think about getting it re-pierced, but I feel kinda silly at this age. I wouldn't feel silly still having it, but I'd feel kinda silly doing it now.
  • I love eyebrow piercings, but I have never gotten one because I always wear glasses and it seems that I would just have too many accessories in one place.
  • edited September 2009
    Alright, since Churba did a glamour-shot, I'll do one too.
    Nah, nine was trying to make me describe myself, and a picture is worth a thousand words. With the Added encouragement of Grey and Gunter, I just picked one that looked okay, and then cropped out the nakedness - it was just a shot that an ex took of me a little while back, caught me by surprise. I'll post about my distinguishing characteristics when I get back from Hackspace.
    Post edited by Churba on