This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Snoring

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
I've always known that I snore very loudly, but it hasn't ever been a problem for me. That hasn't really changed all that much, but my current roommate at college is starting to get sick and tired of not getting a good nights sleep because of it. I honestly think the problem is due to our beds being tucked away in a closed off annex rather than being in the main room (potential noise amplifier much?) I do, however, still need some possible fixes. I've heard that sleeping on a harder pillow might help, and I have been considering buying those breathe right strips. Do you guys have any suggestions, or can you confirm/disprove that the above ideas absolutely do not work? Thanks.

Comments

• Go to a doctor. Many causes of snoring can be corrected with surgery.
    Yes, my dad does these sorts of surgery all the time.
    Pretty much. It could be a lot of things. I used to snore and it was embarrassing. I found out I had sleep apnea. I was on a CPAP until I lost weight. No more snoring. ^_^
  • Also, if you have a few pounds to lose that should also help snoring, one of the causes is being overweight.
  • Ear plugs for your roommate. I use them all the time when I got to Gen Con. Cheap and effective.
  • Ear plugs for your roommate. I use them all the time when I got to Gen Con. Cheap and effective.
    Unless you're with my one friend who snores crazy loud. To quote my other friend the next morning, "the earplugs! They do nothing!"
  • Are you chubby? Being overweight can cause sleep disorders and snoring.
    Unless you're with my one friend who snores crazy loud. To quote my other friend the next morning, "the earplugs! They do nothing!"
    I don't know your friend, but he's got nothing on the Blue Chainsaw.
  • Also, if you have a few pounds to lose that should also help snoring, one of the causes is being overweight.
    Hm, I'll have to take up DDR again.
  • No, you'll have to do actual exercise. God, I hate that game.
  • edited October 2009
    No, you'll have to do actual exercise. God, I hate that game.
    I loathe DDR as well.

You could use Wii Fit. That somewhat counts as exercise.
    Post edited by Valkyrie on
  • No, you'll have to do actual exercise.
    As a runner and general athlete, DDR is fantastic exercise. I use it to keep in shape over the winter months when I can't run. It's definitely more taxing and useful than a treadmill, and is great for the calves.
    I loathe DDR as well.
    Why? I don't even loathe WoW, a game I rather dislike. What is there to possibly loathe about DDR?
  • As a runner and general athlete, DDR is fantastic exercise. I use it to keep in shape over the winter months when I can't run. It's definitely more taxing and useful than a treadmill, and is great for the calves.
    Certainly; if you don't think DDR is good exercise then you're probably not very good at DDR.
  • No, you'll have to do actual exercise. God, I hate that game.
    And I hate "real" exercise since it is so god damn boring. I would rather work up a massive sweat playing a game than walking or lifting weights, and DDR fits that perfectly.
  • Walking is great, the trick is to walk places instead of driving. I too hate exercising for exercise's sake.
  • Walking is great, the trick is to walk places instead of driving. I too hate exercising for exercise's sake.
    I used to not mind it, but after I started doing martial arts, I found regular exercise really tedious. Now that I don't do martial arts anymore, it's been really hard to get back on a good program.
  • I hate "real" exercise since it is so god damn boring.
    Here's the trick: go harder. I'm not kidding, bust your ass and you will never call it boring again.
  • edited October 2009
    Honestly, you should find an activity you love. If it is a sport, dancing, playing DDR, roller derby, doing aerobics, running, walking, hiking, cross country skying/snowshoeing, etc. and join up with a group and DO IT! One of the best ways to keep from getting bored or lazy is to choose an activity you have some basic enjoyment in and have people that keep it fun and hold you accountable.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on