This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coffee

Comments

• Also I'd say the quality of the product makes way more of a difference than using a glass funnel to extract your coffee.
  • Apreche said:

All you people drinking youre nasty ass coffee, tea, and alcoholic beverages. It's hilarious how you setup ridiculous chemistry experiments just to get your beverages to taste slightly less like the poison they are.

I'll give you coffee and alcohol, I've actually mostly given up coffee and definitely drink a lot less booze than I used to (read "I'm 30old now"). I wasn't aware tea was poison, and I like tea without any fanciness.
  • MATATAT said:

Also I'd say the quality of the product makes way more of a difference than using a glass funnel to extract your coffee.

It's a matter of extraction. Certain compounds in the coffee are extracted at different times, temperatures, and grind levels. Want more body? Go coarse grind with a french press. Want more clarity? Use the manual drip. You're pretty much guaranteed to get super bitter coffee after around 4 minutes of extraction. I used to think like you, until I actually had a good, manual brewed cup of coffee. It changed the way I viewed coffee.
  • Scott,

Tea is hot leaf juice.

Coffee is hot bean juice.

Your argument is invalid.
  • edited December 2014
    Coffee is just a roasted fruit pit. It's fruit juice.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Not really sure how coffee or tea would be considered poison.
  • Nuri said:

Scott,

Tea is hot leaf juice.

Coffee is hot bean juice.

Your argument is invalid.

They are not juices. Tea is hot water with leaf flavoring. Coffee is hot water with bean flavoring.

For it to be juice, you bring in no outside water because you are using the water that the plant sucked through its roots and stored in the fruit area (please don't attack me with botany knowledges again).

If you want to call coffee hot bean juice, then put some beans in a juicer and drink it.
  • My stomach definitely thinks coffee is poison. I can get away with drinking it every now and then, but if I daily it I get pretty good indigestion.
  • Coffee : Not poison
    Tea : Not poison
    Alcohol : Poison
    Fruit Juice : Poison
  • My stomach definitely thinks coffee is poison. I can get away with drinking it every now and then, but if I daily it I get pretty good indigestion.

By that logic most Indian food is poison to me :P
    Andrew said:

MATATAT said:

Also I'd say the quality of the product makes way more of a difference than using a glass funnel to extract your coffee.

It's a matter of extraction. Certain compounds in the coffee are extracted at different times, temperatures, and grind levels. Want more body? Go coarse grind with a french press. Want more clarity? Use the manual drip. You're pretty much guaranteed to get super bitter coffee after around 4 minutes of extraction. I used to think like you, until I actually had a good, manual brewed cup of coffee. It changed the way I viewed coffee.
    I dunno, I've had coffee through most of methods of brewing. God knows you can't avoid that shit in Seattle. Most of what I perceive I would assume comes from the grounds. Like there is more oils that I notice from different approaches, but I'm not sure that I ever think they taste that much different. I'm going to get some equipment and I'll try the manual method. Dunno if I'll stick with it though.
  • MATATAT said:

I dunno, I've had coffee through most of methods of brewing. God knows you can't avoid that shit in Seattle. Most of what I perceive I would assume comes from the grounds. Like there is more oils that I notice from different approaches, but I'm not sure that I ever think they taste that much different. I'm going to get some equipment and I'll try the manual method. Dunno if I'll stick with it though.

Obviously the coffee bean and it's roast is the number one influence on the quality of your drink. Next is probably the water to coffee ratio that you use during the brew.

If you want to try manual brew, all you need is this for $10:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VD-02T-Coffee-Dripper-Clear/dp/B001RBTSMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418156849&sr=8-1&keywords=v60+plastic

Make sure you get the Hario filters as well, they are a bit thicker and I've had crappy grocery store brands break on me.
  • Let's see the number of deaths caused by juice next to the number caused by alcohol.
  • I thought it was mostly on unpasteurized fruit juices that were an issue.
  • Apreche said:

Let's see the number of deaths caused by juice next to the number caused by alcohol.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States
  • edited December 2014
    Andrew said:

Apreche said:

Let's see the number of deaths caused by juice next to the number caused by alcohol.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States
    Carbonated corn syrup water is also poison, and not juice.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2014
    Apreche said:

They are not juices. Tea is hot water with leaf flavoring. Coffee is hot water with bean flavoring.

For it to be juice, you bring in no outside water because you are using the water that the plant sucked through its roots and stored in the fruit area (please don't attack me with botany knowledges again).

If you want to call coffee hot bean juice, then put some beans in a juicer and drink it.

You must be pretty picky about what "juice" you buy, then. Most juice sold in America has added water.

P.S. No botany attack necessary. You used all the correct terminology. ;)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Nuri said:

Apreche said:

You must be pretty picky about what "juice" you buy, then. Most juice sold in America has added water.

I thought about getting a juicer, but got a mixer instead. Maybe if I had room for more appliances.
  • edited December 2014
    Juice, even squeezed straight from the fruit, is pretty much all sugar. Just as much as a cola, even. Nutritionally, they are not that much different.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

Juice, even squeezed straight from the fruit, is pretty much all sugar. Just as much as a cola, even. Nutritionally, they are not that much different.

Even better, there's more fructose than you think in fruit juice.

• Andrew said:

That is why it is delicious and doesn't require an entire field of study to figure out how to make it suck less.
  • Coffee tastes better than juice.
  • Andrew said:

Coffee tastes better than juice.

Yes. Coffee tastes better than lemon juice. Also, while I haven't had any, I assume it tastes better than durian juice.
  • Coffee tastes better than any fruit juice. It's also not poison.
  • Apreche said:

Doesn't mean that juice isn't poison. It's just less poison.
    MATATAT said:

I thought it was mostly on unpasteurized fruit juices that were an issue.

Mostly, yes. In general, though, juice manufacturing is amazingly hazardous. That's why the USDA has a completely separate juice HACCP program, and it's one of the most strict set of production standards in the country. I think the standards for pasteurized milk might be tighter, but not by much.

Post-processing contamination is a big issue with juice manufacturing. We've had a few instances of botulism from carrot juice and other low-acid juices. Turns out that Cbot just loves carrots.

And don't get me started on this natural raw juice bullshit nonsense that dirty fucking hippies love to spread around.

I mean, wheatgrass juice? Who the fuck drinks grass?

(Yes, I know, sugarcane is a grass. That's not the point.)

• Apreche said:

That is why it is delicious and doesn't require an entire field of study to figure out how to make it suck less.

You would be absolutely shocked at the sheer amount of R&D that goes into juice manufacturing. Commercial juice is as far removed from the fruit as McDonald's is from the farm.

• On topic, I generally drink coffee with a small amount of added sugar. Given that I'm willing to drink espresso straight, though, I suspect it's because I generally drink shitty coffee and the sugar mitigates the shittiness somewhat.
  • As someone who can't get enough bitter taste, coffee and lemon juice sounds like fun.