This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

StarGate Universe

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
For those that dropped TV, it's hosted on Hulu.

I'll keep this rather spoiler free at first since it's only aired on Friday.

What did everyone think? Overall I think it's pretty well done. Plot is beg enough and possibilities once again endless (so long as they don't pull a "Voyager"). There's enough eye candy and "future sci-fi science" to keep me entertained. There are a few negatives, but the only ones I can remember were more "well this part is dumb... oh wait. It's already over" type things, so didn't bug me much. I'm liking it so far.

I was rather glad they didn't dumb down the show overall, and still seem to think well of it's audience (minus a stupid sex scene at the beginning). There were times when things weren't explained or something happened without all the exposition that you normally get and they expect you to figure it out on your own. Most of which you can do without having to know anything about the StarGate franchise universe upfront. That's a definite plus, as I think it handles the entry barrier well, by not really needing to have watched any of the previous series.

The main character seems to react as any normal guy would in the situation. Although smart, he doesn't seem to yet be acting in the atypical "awkward socially geek" manner you see in so many shows. People in general seem to be acting properly in situations without all the stupidness. Locale is big enough to allow exploration and room to growth on the ship. Only real negative is the fact that I don't know how they are going to have a "bad guy" to fight against. With them constantly moving about.

Anyone else? It does have a bit of a BSG feel, although my guess is in later episodes that will go more away and more back towards StarGate look and feel (I hope). Have many more thoughts, but more are linked to piece of the show, and as I stated, trying to be spoiler free for the time being.

Comments

• I also noticed it was basically Battlestar Galacticgate. For a first episode it was alright, but there were to many times where it was just "holy shit, someone is attacking." It seems like a good show but I think it is just a little early to tell.
    This sums up my opinion fairly well.
  • That first episode felt like the first episode of Stargate: Atlantis but shot like Battlestar Galactica. Regards it seems like it has a lot of potential, and I'm sure I watch it some more. I think episode 2 will likely be more telling as to what the show will actually be like, then episode 1 was.
  • To me, Stargate used to mean fairly tongue-in-cheek and pulp scifi with main characters that remind me of player characters in a pen-and-paper RPG. This show seems to me taking a turn into Battlestar Galacica gritty realism, which makes it hard for to think of it as taking place in the same universe as the other two shows.
  • This show seems to me taking a turn into Battlestar Galacica gritty realism, which makes it hard for to think of it as taking place in the same universe as the other two shows.
    In other words "BSG made $$$$. Let's take an old franchise and do to it what we think made that $$$$ appear before. Then, we'll make $$$, maybe even $$$$. Even if we fail, we'll get $ from the hardcore existing fanbase to cover our expenses.
  • edited October 2009
    If it goes the way of BSG, they're gonna lose me after a few shows, regardless how much I love StarGate. Wasn't really a fan overall of the BSG franchise. Not my cup of tea. I watch StarGate for the same reasons J. Sharp said. They never took themselves overly serious while still being in a "serious" sci-fi show. They'd make jokes about how blatantly something was a Star Trek or Star Wars rip off or how ridiculous a situation was. If they were doing something serious, they alway had that line that lighten the situation up while keep the rest in line. BSG was, for me, just another dark sci-fi thing that never caught my fancy. The first episodes had pieces of that in it (mostly relating to Elli), but they very well could just be hopping on the BSG bandwagon. Right now they're walking a line. Unfortunately I really hope they are using this as a catch and go forward to what Star Gate mood has been in the next few episodes.

EDIT:
    (Anyone else thinking something completely different in that second panel the first time they read it, and then breathed a sigh of relief when getting to the third panel?)
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • edited October 2009
    If it goes the way of BSG, they're gonna lose me after a few shows, regardless how much I love StarGate. Wasn't really a fan overall of the BSG franchise. Not my cup of tea.
    Our tastes are polar opposists on this particular issue.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • In other words "BSG made $$$$. Let's take an old franchise and do to it what we think made that $$$$ appear before. Then,we'llmake $$$, maybe even $$$$. Even if we fail, we'll get $ from the hardcore existing fanbase to cover our expenses.
    Can I quote you all over the internet, Rym? Love you!
  • Oh, I know there's a huge contingent that LOVED the BSG franchise. Nothing wrong with that. As I said not my cup of tea. Just curious how SyFy is going to handle what, at this point, appears to be their two biggest franchises merging into this one show. Isn't there already a BSG spin off? Why make these two shows homogenous? Makes more sense to me that this is more StarGate, while Caprica (think that's how it's spelled) goes the BSG route. I could understand it if StarGate hadn't been making money and they saw it as a way to turn around the series. But StarGate was doing very well on it's own for 12 years or so now. Just seems redundant.
  • Isn't there already a BSG spin off? Why make these two shows homogenous?
    A big factor may be the degree of control Syfy has over the production of SGU, as compared to Caprica. IIRC, Caprica is being produced by the same people as BSG who have some degree of financial independence from GE/NBC/Syfy.
  • (Anyone else thinking something completely different in that second panel the first time they read it, and then breathed a sigh of relief when getting to the third panel?)
    Yes, I believe I did. Were you thinking about "workin a gherkin"?
  • In other words "BSG made $$$$. Let's take an old franchise and do to it what we think made that $$$$ appear before. Then,we'llmake $$$, maybe even $$$$. Even if we fail, we'll get $ from the hardcore existing fanbase to cover our expenses.
    Can I quote you all over the internet, Rym? Love you!
    Don't forget the "Ohshit, we ended both our Stargate shows and the fans are gonna find out where we live and then come eat us if we don't make something else quick!"

I haven't watched the new show yet, but that is definitely what came to mind when I saw the first ad for it.
  • This show seems to me taking a turn into Battlestar Galacica gritty realism, which makes it hard for to think of it as taking place in the same universe as the other two shows.
    In other words "BSG made $$$$. Let's take an old franchise and do to it what we think made that $$$$ appear before. Then,we'llmake $$$, maybe even $$$$. Even if we fail, we'll get $ from the hardcore existing fanbase to cover our expenses.
    Well, if it's enjoyable, does this part really matter? I mean, all TV shows are made with this idea in mind. You get entertainment, they get money. It's a fair exchange.