This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guilty Pleasures

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
So what are your favorite, semi-embarrassing things to do?

I still play and buy Magic.

Comments

• So what are your favorite, semi-embarrassing things to do?
    I am ashamed of nothing I do. This includes liking Hokuto no Ken, Initial D, Dr. Pepper, and Enka.

Courage Wolf will tell you. Like what you like: there is no "ironically."
  • Play WoW. I can honestly say I've made some really good friends from WoW. I've actually met several of them and hung out. One person, I consider one of my closest friends, whom I confide in and almost speak to on a daily basis.

Read and enjoyed the Twilight series, however I know it's really bad writing and laugh at the fandom of it all. I blame the estrogen. Damn, that estrogen.

/hides from embarrassment
  • edited October 2009
    I do not feel guilt, therefore I cannot have any guilty pleasures.
    EDIT: Using sarcasm on the internet is one of my guilty pleasures ;)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I also try to live without guilt. I enjoy what I enjoy without owing anyone an explanation. Your mom can attest to this.
  • Hey... I like Dr. Pepper and Enka. I didn't know Dr. Pepper was something people would normally be embarrassed about..
  • edited October 2009
    Stupid spoil-sports taking things literally!
    Some of my "guilty pleasures" that I don't actually feel any guilt about are:
    Jane Austen novels and films
    Cheesy Rom-Coms
    The Pirate of the Caribbean movies
    Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich
    Abba
    Barry Manilow
    Tom Jones
    Project Runway
    Doris Day movies
    Hey... I like Dr. Pepper and Enka. I didn't know Dr. Pepper was something people would normally be embarrassed about..
    Some of the FRC are snooty about any sodas or "sugar waters".
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It seems after consulting with friends and family I have on my MSN that the following should be considered guilty pleasures:
    -B-movies (Monster, horror, kung fu, zombie, exploitation, etc.) because I genuinely enjoy them in a non ironical way
    -El Santo movies
    -Hokuto no ken
    -Mi love for Atari 2600 and NES games
    -The fact that I like the idea of role playing games but don't actually play them
    -My taste in some music (like crash test dummies for example)
    -I like sappy movies and TV shows that make me cry
  • OK, OK.

Pork rinds.
  • OK, OK.

Pork rinds.
    Those are quite popular down here in several preparations and cracklings.
  • Pork rinds.
    Regular or spicy?
  • Pork rinds.
    Regular or spicy?
    He likes them from the microwave...
  • He likes them from the microwave...
    Huh?
  • Pork rinds.
    Regular or spicy?
    Both. I also like the ones with the bits of fat left on them. Actually, I like those more.
    He likes them from the microwave...
    Huh?
    There are microwaveable pork rinds. They come out hot and crispy. They're also very low in fat, so if you're going to eat pork rinds, eat the microwaveable ones.
  • Both. I also like the ones with the bits of fat left on them. Actually, I like those more.
    Yeah, those are so good, yet so very bad. I often see them at either Asian or Hispanic markets.
  • Some of the FRC are snooty about any sodas or "sugar waters".
    Myself included. I avoid flavored sugar water whenever possible. But, I do enjoy the taste of Dublin Dr. Pepper, which I order occasionally, and real root/birch beer. But even then, the idea of drinking something like that more than a few times a week is beyond me. I'm always a little amazed at the people who consume copious amounts of sugar water daily (unless they're burning a good 5k or so Calories in those days, which they rarely are).

Even more amazing to me are the people who do the same with fake sugar water. The idea of eating or drinking anything I don't actually crave seems silly. If I'm craving carbohydrates, I drink sugar water. If I'm simply thirsty, I drink seltzer water or something. I can't imagine wanting to consume Calories I don't plan to use, let alone consuming fake Calories just for taste reasons.

(Nevermind the fact that most fake sugars taste, in my opinion, awful. Seriously: diet soda has possibly the worst finish of anything I've ever consumed that was actually intended for consumption).
  • edited October 2009
    1.) I like different and interesting beers and typically consume at least one a day.
    2.) I like some Moe, cutesy animes
    3.) I love Initial D
    4.) I like some girly, relationship animes
    (Nevermind the fact that most fake sugars taste, in my opinion, awful. Seriously: diet soda has possibly the worst finish of anything I've ever consumed that was actually intended for consumption).
    Agree, I really don't know how people like it.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • 2.) I like some Moe, cutesy animes
    Examples please.
  • - Silly manzai comedy shows/japanese variety shows which are completely brainless and random
    - Super dumb shounen gag manga like Gintama.
    - OS tan artwork (or any "tan" gijinka)
    - hetalia country slash (Finland x Sweden!)
    - Schoolgirl uniform designing / collecting pictures of cool uniforms
    - Gria, Viera, and Mithra races from the final fantasy series. Dragon, bunny, and cat girls done right!
  • I have to say, Boylan's cane sugar sodas are pretty much the best thing ever.

I also have a weak spot for Top Chef and the various Food Network reality shows (The Next Food Network Star, Chopped, etc). Actually, I pretty much have a weakness for the Food Network in general.
  • I also have a weak spot for Top Chef and the various Food Network reality shows (The Next Food Network Star, Chopped, etc). Actually, I pretty much have a weakness for the Food Network in general.
    I call it the drooling network. Never watch food shows when you are hungry! Never.
  • I also have a weak spot for Top Chef and the various Food Network reality shows (The Next Food Network Star, Chopped, etc). Actually, I pretty much have a weakness for the Food Network in general.
    Totally forgot about that and HGTV.
    - Japanese variety shows which are completely brainless and random
    Forgot about those as well, also "Chit chat of beautiful ladies" on the Korean channel.
  • edited October 2009
    Hmm. Sometimes I will eat a spoonful of sugar (usually that Sugar in the Raw, or other unbleached kind) by itself. Shit is delicious.

When I'm at home alone I usually listen to jazz records, even though I have a variety of musical interests. I guess they just always fit my mood.

I guess amongst things people generally look down upon:
    - waffles from Gracies (the infamous RIT cafeteria)
    - smoking a pipe when I'm just lounging about outside (people are very split about this)
    - hand-rolling cigarettes (again, people are split. most people in rochacha don't seem to understand what I'm doing, and think I'm rolling a joint)
    - buying anything other than simple coffee from coffee shops (cookies, cake, scones, weird flavoured drinks, etc)
    - buying coats. Since I experienced a rochacha winter, I've basically bought as many coats as I could. I currently have:

-- four trenchcoats (including one leather one)
    -- an overcoat, black and classy
    -- a pea coat, VERY THICK
    -- two heavy army coats
    -- six tweed jackets
    -- one modern-day puffy coat, which I barely wear
    -- an '80's leather jacket

- I have also, over the course of three years, found many cheap and well-fitting suits from vintage/used/etc clothing stores. Most days, I wear a suit, in appropriate levels of formality (usually business casual, unless something fancy is happening). For instance, tonight is the grand opening of Beethoven's 9th being performed at Eastman, and I'm wearing a tux.

P.S. I just counted my suits. I have 15 total, in a variety of 2- and 3-piece. I need to find more double-breasted suits.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • 2.) I like some Moe, cutesy animes
    Examples please.
    fine...

2.) Azumanga diaoh, Lucky Star, Hidamari Sketch
    4.) Sola, White Album, I guess you might be able to lump X in there as well.
  • 2.) Azumanga diaoh, Lucky Star
    I see nothing wrong with liking them.
  • edited October 2009
    2.) Azumanga diaoh, Lucky Star
    I see nothing wrong with liking them.
    They're still Moe shows. There mainstream qualities were sort of the gateway into really Moe shows like Hidamari Sketch. It's not a very manly pursuit in American culture.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2009
    - Gria, Viera, and Mithra races from the final fantasy series. Dragon, bunny, and cat girls done right!
    If liking Viera is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Sometimes I will eat a spoonful of sugar
    Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down. The medicine go down... the medicine go down...
  • -Rich Food
    -Cheap Women
  • -Rich Food
    -Cheap Women
    - Cheap food
    - Rich women