This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Morality vs. Law

edited October 2009 in Flamewars
There have been multiple threads here as of late where the issue of morality vs. law has come up, and it seems to me that people just don't get it.

If you are discussing something on the Internets, there is no point in talking about what the law currently is. Well, I mean you could discuss interpretations of law, such as the current cases before the supreme court, but that usually isn't the topic of conversation.

When you're discussing something like copyright, or privacy, or whatever, we don't want to hear from you what the law is. We know what the laws are, for the most part. We want to know what you think. What do you think is right, what do you think is wrong, and why? That is the material that an interesting discussion can be made from.

Now, it seems like some people have a hard time separating the idea of morality from legality. You ask them why something is wrong, and they say because it is illegal. Well, tell that to Gandi, MLK, or any of the other civilly disobedient folk throughout history. Laws are very often wrong and bad, and to say something is bad because it against the law is effectively a non-statement. It just demonstrates that you have a complete lack of ability to ethically evaluate a scenario.

Now, you could also make the argument that law actually should be morality. If you truly believe in the ideals of representative government, then you could argue that if something is the law, then it is something that our society has agreed upon. Thus, you would argue that whether you personally agree with it or not, conforming to the desires of the majority is the basis of morality in a society. The thing is, I don't see anyone trying to make that point.

Learn to discuss things properly. You know how we talk about the difference between your personal opinion of a work of art, and your critical evaluation of it? This is the same kind of thing. Learn the difference between legality and morality. Most of the time, we're looking for morality and ethics because that is the area in which there is actually an interesting and valuable discussion to be had.

Comments

• I'm pretty sure people get the difference between morality and legality around here. The problems really only arise when someone has a crazy and outrageous viewpoint that would be impossible to implement realistically.

Additionally, most people temper their morality with pragmatism. Sure, it's fun to stand up and say, "Damn the man! Save the Empire!" but sometimes, that doesn't always work out. So, we tend to think about things in a legal context, unless the law really doesn't represent our views of what ought to be.
  • I'm pretty sure people get the difference between morality and legality around here. The problems really only arise when someone has a crazy and outrageous viewpoint that would be impossible to implement realistically.

Additionally, most people temper their morality with pragmatism. Sure, it's fun to stand up and say, "Damn the man! Save the Empire!" but sometimes, that doesn't always work out. So, we tend to think about things in a legal context, unless the law really doesn't represent our views of what ought to be.
    QFT

...I have nothing else to add
  • Now, you could also make the argument that law actually should be morality. If you truly believe in the ideals of representative government, then you could argue that if something is the law, then it is something that our society has agreed upon. Thus, you would argue that whether you personally agree with it or not, conforming to the desires of the majority is the basis of morality in a society. The thing is, I don't see anyone trying to make that point.
    That's been my opinion for some time now, but you never asked. Society is like a game, it has rules you have to follow or people get mad. You guys like to all wound up talking about the rules, I just play the game and vote.
  • edited October 2009
    Now, you could also make the argument that law actually should be morality. If you truly believe in the ideals of representative government, then you could argue that if something is the law, then it is something that our society has agreed upon. Thus, you would argue that whether you personally agree with it or not, conforming to the desires of the majority is the basis of morality in a society. The thing is, I don't see anyone trying to make that point.
    That's been my opinion for some time now, but you never asked. Society is like a game, it has rules you have to follow or people get mad. You guys like to all wound up talking about the rules, I just play the game and vote.
    Except that you have to agree on the rules in order for the game to work, and if a game has shitty rules, you won't want to play it.

Hence, we have to discuss:

-the specifics of extant law
    -what we would like to see
    -the degree of overlap between extant law and what we would like to see
    -the ways in which we can remedy any gaps observed

You can't have a useful discussion about "what ought to be" without considering at least those three things.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Except that you have to agree on the rules in order for the game to work, and if a game has shitty rules, you won't want to play it.
    Except the rules are not decided on by a particular group of players. The rules were set in place long before we ever had the dice handed to us. Sure you can not play, but that involves living in a shack far off in the woods.

Every week there's a new evil in society that everyone here knows how to fix. Couple weeks ago it was the public option, now no one cares about that anymore, it's copyright law. Everything in society would be great if we could just share our music freely.
  • Sure you can not play, but that involves living in a shack far off in the woods.
    Or it involves organizing enough like-minded people to get the rules changed.

I don't think anyone here necessarily claims to definitely know how to fix any given evil. We all argue in favor of our ideas as to how to fix said evils, but I don't interpret it as being in the context of "this will definitely work." More like, "I really really think this would be a good idea, and I would like to see it implemented."
  • Or it involves organizing enough like-minded people to get the rules changed.
    I remember in stat figuring out standard deviation and figured out that I and people similarly intelligent make up about 1% of the population. Smart people are a greater minority than almost any ethnic group there is.
  • "Damn the man! Save the Empire!"
    I love you so much.
  • edited October 2009
    This is about you being pwned so badly in the "Smoking Ban" thread where you demonstrated your woeful misunderstanding of assault and the eggshell plaintiff doctrine, isn't it?

Well, Pete has pwned you again. A discussion of law that requires a total disregard for the actual reality of what the law says is about as valuable as talking about faster-than-light space travel with a total disregard for the reality of Special Relativity. Such a discussion is fantasy and nothing more.

I suppose "Hey, wouldn't it be great if we could kill people we dislike?" would be a topic. I suppose further that if someone said, "Yeah, but that would be illegal.", the response would be "No one cares what the law is." Such a lack of care is abundantly immature and, in your case, I suspect a spot of sour grapes because you're pouting for being proven wrong. So, just as a chikd would do, you're hiding behind the "don't care" doctrine.

If you want to talk about fantasies and "should be", I'm sure there are a lot of places on the internet where you can discuss having My Little Pony/Strawberry Shortcake tea parties with a group of twelve year old girls (or, more likely, a group of FBI agents posing as twelve year old girls). You can yell them all that your misunderstanding of the law derives from the fact that you're just like Ghandi and MLK.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I think you people's problem is that you have basically given up. You treat the laws of our society the same way I treat the laws of thermodynamics. You assume they are set in stone, or nearly so, and work around them.

Laws of physics we can not change, but laws of government are just words on paper. They're completely changeable. It's the complacency and lack of will in people like you guys that prevents them from being changed more often.
  • edited October 2009
    I think you people's problem is that you have basically given up. You treat the laws of our society the same way I treat the laws of thermodynamics. You assume they are set in stone, or nearly so, and work around them.

Laws of physics we can not change, but laws of government are just words on paper. They're completely changeable. It's the complacency and lack of will in people like you guys that prevents them from being changed more often.
    Or maybe because we actually support many of the laws under which we live? If I don't like I law, I'll talk about it, and vote for people that look to make laws that I do like.

I think you're unreasonably idealistic. In your perfect world, you would be allowed to spray a smoker in the face with a skunk, because it's just as bad as cigarette smoke. That's idiocy, plain and simple. Morality exists on a gradient, not as absolutes, and the laws should necessarily reflect that.
  • I think you people's problem is that you have basically given up. You treat the laws of our society the same way I treat the laws of thermodynamics. You assume they are set in stone, or nearly so, and work around them.
    The law surrounding the concepts of assault and battery date back to the middle ages. They are pretty much set in stone. They're not going to be altered anytime soon. The eggshell plaintiff doctrine doesn't have the same historical pedigree, but it's similarly not in any danger of being altered anytime soon.
    I think you're unreasonably idealistic. In your perfect world, you would be allowed to spray a smoker in the face with a skunk, because it's just as bad as cigarette smoke. That's idiocy, plain and simple. Morality exists on a gradient, not as absolutes, and the laws should necessarily reflect that.
    Is it morality, or simply what Scott would like to do in a perfect Scott-world?
  • [Read Pete's opinion to learn Sail's opinion]
  • You assume they are set in stone, or nearly so, and work around them....It's the complacency and lack of will in people like you guys that prevents them from being changed more often.
    Scott, do you have ANY idea how frequently laws are changed? There's a million bajillion amendments happening all the freaking time! From a research perspective, it's a pain in the ass! It is usually a good thing for society in general, though. Of course, that is just statutory law. Then we have case law to consider, which also changes when judges decide to get more specific or overturn rulings, and you wouldn't believe the number of cases I have to KeyCite because they have been overturned or updated.

The thing is that those changes aren't always HUGE changes. They aren't all reported on the news, or controversial issues. If the news media reported on every single change that happened, they wouldn't have time to report on anything else. When you start talking about how frequently the law changes, maybe you should have some actual facts to back it up so you don't look like you are talking out of your ass.
  • The fact that there are so many laws, and that a person needs to study for many years to even be able to understand the law, is just one of the fundamental problems in our society.
  • You're right, we should boil it down to a basic ten. That obviously works well.
  • edited October 2009
    A complex system necessarily have complex rules.

EDIT: Really, though, you only interact with a small segment of laws at any given time. Most people don't use trademark law in their lives.
  • You'll be surprised how many situations you can rectify with a wide and common-sense application of a few strong principles. Of course, in the US judges are not allowed to just use common sense. We need mountains of paper to prevent them from even thinking about trying to apply any sort of conventional wisdom.
  • Scott, have you ever heard of the "reasonable person" standard? You might want to look it up. It's all about common sense, and it's a factor in a whole bunch of our law. And then there's Summary Judgment, which gives Judges discretion to use common sense to say, "Yeah, all these things you said are true. So what?" and kick the case out.

I think you are overly optimistic about how non-specific the law needs to be. The reason we have so much law is that we have a lot of specificity. It's important. You complain about how traffic laws are arbitrarily enforced; if our laws were all general, then EVERYTHING would be enforced arbitrarily because everyone would have a different standard of what fit into the law.

Everything you say pretty much digs you deeper into the "I don't know what I'm talking about" hole.
  • We need mountains of paper to prevent them from even thinking about trying to apply any sort of conventional wisdom.
    Or, perhaps, to restrain them from acting outside of the legal consensus? We can hardly tell our judges to just use commom sense when, to paraphrase Einstein, common sense is nothing more than a set of prejudices built up between the ages of 5 and 21.

Yes, I've given up. As I said before, truely intelligent people make up a tiny percentage of the population. So how do we change things when half the population believes Glenn Beck?
  • I'm not taking any sides here, but I can think of a specific example that directly affects me - the law that prevents me from being able to marry my fiancee in the state that we both live in. It's right legally, because it's the law. But to me, it's a load of shit where morality is concerned. Laws like this one, and others that leave minority rights in the hands of majority whims or politicians' religious beliefs would be perfectly suited to the type of discussion Scott's advocating.
  • That's an excellent example. It's also something that is changing, ever so slowly, but still changing. States are beginning to legalize same-sex marriage because society is starting to recognize it as no longer morally reprehensible. Law doesn't change overnight, but it does change. If enough people push for it, laws get changed; however, it usually has to be a persistent majority (or a wealthy minority, bleah).

I'd also like to point out that Scott is very right about Morality being separate from Law. Even the law books say that what is morally right is not always enforced by the law, and what the law enforces is not always what is morally right. Obviously it may not be immoral to simply carry a gun, but it is illegal in many places. There is obviously gray area there, because most laws are rooted in some sort of moral code, but the two are not the same.
  • It is obvious that law will never change enough, at least not in a single lifetime, to be completely in line with moral awesomeness. However, I say you still need to fight for that ideal. Think about it like haggling. You know there is going to be a compromise price. So start at the perfect price. If the merchant starts at 50, and I start at 1, the final price will probably be lower than if I start at 40. Therefore, when compromising, fight for the ideal, and the compromise will be closer to the ideal than it would be if you fought for a more realistic position from the get go.

Also, pragmatism of changing the world aside, we're talking on the Internets here. Internets discussions about morality are far more interesting than discussions about law. That's what I'm trying to get at here. Simply stating what the law is kind of ends a discussion. Ok, that's what the law is. So... But discussing morality, especially when there is disagreement, that provides something where there is more potential for interesting discussion.
  • First of all, I strongly suspect that "moral awesomeness" is simply whatever Scott would find most appealling, notwithstanding anyone else's feelings or desires. Secondly, Scott, you made some very specific claims about assault and the eggshell plaintiff doctrine in the debate that you're pouting about. If you make a claim that the law works a certain way or that it should work a certain way, you need to be prepared to have someone tell you if you are incorrect.

Your continued, petulant insistence that the reality of law doesn't matter, that no one cares about it, or that it chills debate is very similar to a whiny seventh grader crying that algebra won't help him in life because he can't foresee when he'll be called upon to use it or a bored ninth grader whining that she shouldn't have to learn about Vietnam because no one cares. That attitude is childish at best, anti-intellectual at worst, and, quite frankly, beneath you.
  • Secondly, Scott, you made some very specific claims about assault and the eggshell plaintiff doctrine in the debate that you're pouting about. If you make a claim that the law works a certain way or that it should work a certain way, you need to be prepared to have someone tell you if you are incorrect.
    And this is the point you missed. I was not pretending to say how the law worked. I was saying that I think there could be a different, more broad, interpretation of existing laws, thus not requiring new laws to be made. While the laws pertaining to assault clearly do not cover such things as secondhand smoke, I do think that a person could reasonably interpret the release of noxious fumes into a crowded area a form of assault. It may not constitute assault in our current legal definition, but it clearly does so by colloquial and moral definitions.

Also, while my understanding of what the eggshell plaintiff doctrine may not be accurate, the point I was trying to make still stands. While it is obvious that the extent of legal action taken should be relatively proportional to the amount of harm that is caused by someone's actions, a slight amount of harm (no matter how slight) still crosses a line. If the amount of harm caused by secondhand smoke is so slight as to not even register, then the amount of harm done by stealing one single cent is also so slight as to not register.

Thus, my argument was that secondhand smoke causes a tiny amount of bodily harm to others. And therefore it constitutes some form of what I would call assault. One person directly causing bodily harm to another person. And thus, regardless of the status of current law, it should not be permitted.
  • edited October 2009
    Secondly, Scott, you made some very specific claims about assault and the eggshell plaintiff doctrine in the debate that you're pouting about. If you make a claim that the law works a certain way or that it should work a certain way, you need to be prepared to have someone tell you if you are incorrect.
    And this is the point you missed. I was not pretending to say how the law worked. I was saying that I think there could be a different, more broad, interpretation of existing laws, thus not requiring new laws to be made. While the laws pertaining to assault clearly do not cover such things as secondhand smoke, I do think that a person could reasonably interpret the release of noxious fumes into a crowded area a form of assault. It may not constitute assault in our current legal definition, but it clearly does so by colloquial and moral definitions.

Also, while my understanding of what the eggshell plaintiff doctrine may not be accurate, the point I was trying to make still stands. While it is obvious that the extent of legal action taken should be relatively proportional to the amount of harm that is caused by someone's actions, a slight amount of harm (no matter how slight) still crosses a line. If the amount of harm caused by secondhand smoke is so slight as to not even register, then the amount of harm done by stealing one single cent is also so slight as to not register.

Thus, my argument was that secondhand smoke causes a tiny amount of bodily harm to others. And therefore it constitutes some form of what I would call assault. One person directly causing bodily harm to another person. And thus, regardless of the status of current law, it should not be permitted.
    To call something like this "assault" seems a bit overboard to me. Of course, "one person directly causing bodily harm to another person"- I joke punch my friends, and you do too. Under your definition of assault, should that be permitted?

I think that to call something an assault, we should first establish a line of what is and isn't assault- something as slight as secondhand smoke and stealing one cent is well, not overly significant, and therefore shouldn't be classified as assault. Again, let me bring up air pollution; by what you have said, this is a form of assault, and while it can't be pointed to any single person, it can be pointed to by a group of peoples, a city, a town, and so on. And what is harm? Vaccinations just give you a tiny flu so your body will recognize it, which can be interpreted as an assault- not only are you injecting someone with a needle, but you're giving the person a flu or disease. Does that mean we should permit those who give vaccinations to do what they do? No. Of course I realize that vaccinations are different from secondhand smoke; both cause harm, but only one is beneficial is some way. So let me bring up a final point- marijuana. All legalization discussions aside, it is just like cigarettes- both are drugs, are smoked for recreation, and both give off secondhand smoke. Marijuana has medicinal properties, though. Should we punish someone who smokes marijuana for medicine, but damages someone nearby as result? But it still counts as assault by your definition?I don't think so.

Basically, your definition of assault is flawed.
    First of all, I strongly suspect that "moral awesomeness" is simply whatever Scott would find most appealling, notwithstanding anyone else's feelings or desires. Secondly, Scott, you made some very specific claims about assault and the eggshell plaintiff doctrine in the debate that you're pouting about. If you make a claim that the law works a certain way or that it should work a certain way, you need to be prepared to have someone tell you if you are incorrect.

Your continued, petulant insistence that the reality of law doesn't matter, that no one cares about it, or that it chills debate is very similar to a whiny seventh grader crying that algebra won't help him in life because he can't foresee when he'll be called upon to use it or a bored ninth grader whining that she shouldn't have to learn about Vietnam because no one cares. That attitude is childish at best, anti-intellectual at worst, and, quite frankly, beneath you.
    Agreed.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Thus, my argument was that secondhand smoke causes a tiny amount of bodily harm to others. And therefore it constitutes some form of what I would call assault. One person directly causing bodily harm to another person. And thus, regardless of the status of current law, it should not be permitted.
    To call something like this "assault" seems a bit overboard to me. Of course, "one person directly causing bodily harm to another person"- I joke punch my friends, and you do too. Under your definition of assault, should that be permitted?
    Actually it has been shown that banning smoking reduced the rate of heart attacks in non-smokers by up to 36%. I'd call that statistically probable assault.

Also I'd like you to try and "joke punch" a stranger in the street and see how that works out for you.
  • edited October 2009
    Secondly, Scott, you made some very specific claims about assault and the eggshell plaintiff doctrine in the debate that you're pouting about. If you make a claim that the law works a certain way or that it should work a certain way, you need to be prepared to have someone tell you if you are incorrect.
    And this is the point you missed. I was not pretending to say how the law worked. I was saying that I think there could be a different, more broad, interpretation of existing laws, thus not requiring new laws to be made.
    No, I got that point quite easily. No one could miss your point. Read what I said. I said that you "made a claim that the law works a certain way or that it should work a certain way" - which is exactly what you admitted to saying. You wanted to broaden the law of "assault". However, your point is simply not valid as it concerns the tort you were trying to talk about.

Actually, as I said in that thread, what you were talking about is battery, but people often call it assault. Battery is an intentional tort. Read that again. It requires intent. If we go back to our Central Park example, how will A (non-smoker) prove that B (smoker) had any intent whatsoever for his smoke to touch A if A simply smelled smoke? There are other smokers around. If C's smoke was what A smelled, how is B liable for that? How can A prove that he smelled smoke at all? Maybe he smelled some other fume. Maybe he smelled smoke that had been wafting in the air from thirty minutes ago. Maybe he smelled smoke from a cigar that was left burning in the gutter. Even if A can show that it was B's smoke he smelled, how can he show that B intended for A to smell it? Furthermore, B more than likely has a consent defense available if A didn't expressly inform B that he didn't want to be touched by B's smoke.

Also, in order for a lawsuit to be successful, damages must be shown. Even if we assume that A can prove that he smelled smoke from B's cigarette and that B intended for A to smell it, what damages has A suffered? Show me how A can prove exactly how much of B's smoke touched him and then show me exactly how he can prove that B's particular smoke damaged him. I submit that any possible proof would involve techniques so sophisticated and expensive that you'd end up spending millions of dollars to prove your "one-cent damage" theory. Again, that's not serious debate. That's not morality. That's just silly hypothesizing. We could have just as valuable a debate talking about what it would be like if pigs could fly, or exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Calling for such an overbroad application is not morality. It's not debate. It's simply silliness. I could say that I want battery to be broadened to the point that I could successfully sue you for battery for allowing light rays to reflect from your body and touch my retina, thus exposing me to the damage of seeing your ugly body. That's very similar to what you have done with your speculation. If someone now tells me, "You're doing it wrong. That's not how battery works.", they're not trying to chill debate. They're not missing my point. They're just pointing out how silly the hypothetical is.

Actually, if you were as sophisticated about this subject as you seem to wish to believe you are, you would have said that the non-smoker should be able to sue for negligence. The non-smoker's negligence action would make a lot more sense, but he'd still have to prove a duty of care and a breach of that duty. Then he'd still have to prove damages. That makes it a little better than the battery solution, but not much better.
    Actually it has beenshownthat banning smoking reduced the rate of heart attacks in non-smokers by up to 36%. I'd call that statistically probable assault.

Also I'd like you to try and "joke punch" a stranger in the street and see how that works out for you.
    Please read what I wrote before on this topic. "Joke-punch"-ing a stranger is battery. Smoking is not. Saying it is battery is as much of a non-sequitur as hypothesizing that the periodic motion of an object attached to a pendulum depends upon its mass. If someone comes along and says, "You're doing it wrong. That period of that motion only depends on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.", they're not trying to chill debate. They're just pointing out the reality of how things work and the silliness of the hypothesis.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I meant Joke-punching my friends, not a stranger.