This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would you ever give up everything to experience something amazing?

edited October 2009 in Everything Else

Ignoring whether this is legit or not, it got me thinking. On the one hand, the notion of dying in space but getting to see something that no other human is likely to ever see any time soon is absolutely beautiful. Taking the more nihilistic point of view, to be able to experience something so incomprehensibly grand would be well worth the ultimately fruitless life that one leads.

On the other hand, I don't think that I could ever give up my longevity for something like this. Now, if I were old and dying anyway, then sure, but for the sake of conversation let's assume that you're destroying your own life in your prime. Despite, on paper, it being quite possibly the best thing you can do to give your life a sort of objective meaning, I think human nature stops the great majority of us from acting upon anything like this.

So, I'm asking all of you, is there anything that you would possibly allow to tear you away from the life you know and love?

Comments

• There would have to be a pretty substantial benefit to humanity and/or my family for me to take a one-way trip to Titan - I wouldn't do it just for the sake of the record books or to sightsee, no matter how unique the experience. But I could do a Hitchhiker's Guide-style galactic adventure without much convincing (as long as the cost isn't seeing Earth blown up to make way for a hyperspace bypass), even if it did mean never going home.
  • as long as the cost isn't seeing Earth blown up to make way for a hyperspace bypass
    I'd definitely want to be on the ship through if that was going to happen anyway :-p
  • Depends on the something amazing. I would definitely go on a one way trip to Mars, but only under the right conditions.
  • So, I'm asking all of you, is thereanythingthat you would possibly allow to tear you away from the life you know and love?
    Very interesting concept, but no- I wouldn't. Being happy is the most important thing.
  • Depends on the something amazing. I would definitely go on a one way trip to Mars, but only under the right conditions.
    What kind of conditions?
  • So, I'm asking all of you, is thereanythingthat you would possibly allow to tear you away from the life you know and love?
    Hmm...
    No, I don't think so. I've experienced too little of life to throw it all away now. If I was, say, 40-50 years older with not much life left and could still make the trip...Possibly, but probably not.
    A better life ^_~
  • No, I don't think so. I've experienced too little of life to throw it all away now. If I was, say, 40-50 years older with not much life left and could still make the trip...Possibly, but probably not.
    Well, it's not necessarily a life or death situation - for example, I've packed in everything I know and love, my entire life, and expatriated to England. Admittedly, it has been occasionally life threatening and at times somewhat unpleasant, that's more due to my absolute inability to lead a nice, quiet, and boring life.
  • No, I don't think so. I've experienced too little of life to throw it all away now. If I was, say, 40-50 years older with not much life left and could still make the trip...Possibly, but probably not.
    Well, it's not necessarily a life or death situation - for example, I've packed in everything I know and love, my entire life, and expatriated to England. Admittedly, it has been occasionally life threatening and at times somewhat unpleasant, that's more due to my absolute inability to lead a nice, quiet, and boring life.
    Well, I meant going into space specifically, really.
    Also, I just doubt my ability to go somewhere new and survive on my own somehow.
  • edited October 2009
    So, I'm asking all of you, is there anything that you would possibly allow to tear you away from the life you know and love?
    Freedom, in my case.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
    I admire the fact that you don't lead a boring life. Plus, the strength to just pack up and go somewhere. Anywhere.

In answer to the thread, I think my dream to do something creative for a living.
  • You know, there are a lot of SciFi stories where due to relativity, when someone sets out for space travel, they will never see their parents, friends, or the world as they knew it ever again. I've always thought about how bittersweet that situation would be.
  • edited October 2009
    The only thing that would make me think of leaving my family and everything that is dear to me would be a TARDIS (if only because I know that I can always come back)
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I would give up everything for a complete and total knowledge of everything. Nothing less.
  • The only thing that would make me thing of leaving my family and everything that is dear to me would be a TARDIS (if only because I know that I can always come back)
    You know what. I would give up my life for a TARDIS ride.
  • The only thing that would make me thing of leaving my family and everything that is dear to me would be a TARDIS (if only because I know that I can always come back)
    You know what. I would give up my life for a TARDIS ride.
    Seconded. In fact, I would do it right this very second.
  • edited October 2009
    I have the life I want. There are certain activities that would be neat or fun, but if any of them would break up my marriage or take me away from the people I love - well, there is just nothing "awesome" enough to make up for separating from them for more than a set, limited amount of time. For me, it isn't what you do it is who you are doing it with that makes something awesome. ^_~
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I have the life I want. There are certain activities that would be neat or fun, but if any of them would break up my marriage or take me away from the people I love - well, there is just nothing "awesome" enough to make up for separating from them for more than a set, limited amount of time. For me, it isn't what you do it is who you are doing it with that makes something awesome. ^_~
    Agreed. Problems and all, I wouldn't have my life any other way than my life has been. I love it. :)
  • I have the life I want. There are certain activities that would be neat or fun, but if any of them would break up my marriage or take me away from the people I love - well, there is just nothing "awesome" enough to make up for separating from them for more than a set, limited amount of time. For me, it isn't what you do it is who you are doing it with that makes something awesome. ^_~
    Agreed. Problems and all, I wouldn't have my life any other way than my life has been. I love it. :)
    Seconded. My life isn't always fun, but I still have a lot of life left in me, and, frankly, alot of love. I wouldn't feel satisfied with life here on earth if I wasn't able to give someone that love and share with them the life I plan to have someday.
  • I guess you could say I gave up most of my life to come to Rochester, from Berkeley. I'm going to make the most of it, though, and do as much awesomeness as I can while I'm here.