This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo DS Newbie needs help

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
Okay, so I'll be getting a DS shortly. I'm going to purchase an R4, and Korg DS-10 is a must, but since Korg isn't really a game, I need a suggestion for my first DS game.

Actually, it would be my first game ever on a hand-held console, so make it good.

Here is a list of games I will be attempting to use with the R4 so you can get an idea on what games attract me.
Scribblenauts
Mario Kart DS ($27.99 used! WTF?)
Advanced Wars (Rym seems to like it)
Rhythm Heaven ('hai hai hai...KA-MONE HEY!")XD

I like puzzle games, racing games, Music, and some RPGs. Also, I have a limited amount of birthday money, so no games over $20 used.

If you have an R4, I would also appreciate you telling me where you got it from, how much it cost, and what features it has. I've seen one that can supposedly play video, mp3s, etc... And this is apparently the website of the original makers, so, yeah, I dunno where I should actually buy it from or if it even matters.

Comments

• Mario Kart DS ($27.99 used! WTF?)
    Any Mario game for the DS will rarely be cheap, fyi.

Professor Layton & The Curious Village & Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box. Listen to Scrym's podcast on it.
    Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time. I'm about half way in the game. It's very enjoyable. I like how you have to figure out puzzles by using all 4 characters. I'm excited for the 3rd RPG.
    Rhythm Heaven is fun and very silly. I haven't gotten far in it, but it's pretty fun.
    The Legendary Starfy. Fun platformer.
    Tetris, however you can pretty much only find it online.
    Picross, really cool puzzles.
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. Don't get Galactrix. It was more annoying then enjoyable.
  • -All three episodes of the Mario & Luigi RPG series are great, so any of those are buyable.
    -Elite Beat Agents. The setlist may turn you off, but it'll win you over with quirky, funny and somewhat emotional factors. You might be able to find it for cheap since it's a few years old.
    -Planet Puzzle League. Fantastic time killer and puzzle game all around. In the vein of Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack. Great music.
  • Both Advance Wars games for the DS are pretty great. I would reccomend Days of Ruin, though, as Dual Strike is completely unbalanced, and it'll probably be easier to find games online.
  • edited October 2009
    In terms of flashcarts, DealExtreme is the place to get them. If you want a simple choice, just get this variant of the R4 and a 4-8GB MicroSD card.
    As for video and mp3s, all flashcarts can run a program called Moonshell which will play mp3s and a specially encoded type of video file.

I can also recommend you get one of these if you like playing GBA games.

FYI, all the R4 variant websites look the same. Just make sure you get the right one for your flashcart.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Get on that shit son.
  • edited October 2009
    You'd probably be better off with Chrono Trigger rather than Pokemon, unless you're big into Pokemon.

If you're short on money to the point where you need to decide between a flashcart and a single game, just get a flashcart.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You'd probably be better off with Chrono Trigger rather than Pokemon, unless you're big into Pokemon.
    Good reminder, Chrono Trigger DS is also nice. There's a ton of remakes on the DS worth playing. Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 is on the console, along with Crystal Chronicles. (Some are out for GBA though, so if you have the normal DS, you can play them. And they'll be cheaper that way too)
  • Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 is on the console, along with Crystal Chronicles. (Some are out for GBA though, so if you have the normal DS, you can play them. And they'll be cheaper that way too)
    They're pretty much all GBA, save for 3 (which you didn't mention) and 4.
  • Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 is on the console, along with Crystal Chronicles. (Some are out for GBA though, so if you have the normal DS, you can play them. And they'll be cheaper that way too)
    4 is on the GBA, but the DS version is superior.
    I wasn't sure if 3 was on DS yet. I knew 4 was on DS though, but I think a few of those are only on GBA. Like you can get I and 2 on the same GBA cartridge.
  • Yeah, 3 came out on the DS first- 3 years ago, in fact.
  • Get on that shit son.
    Hell to the yes. Also, if you don't mind paying out the ass and using Game FAQs guides, get Jump Ultimate Stars. It's really fun and will take a while to beat.
  • Get on that shit son.
    Hell to the yes. Also, if you don't mind paying out the ass and using Game FAQs guides, get Jump Ultimate Stars. It's really fun and will take a while to beat.
    This may help you:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/jewwario/ycpt/11008-ycpt26 (Blip doesn't work here)
  • Regarding the Mario and Luigi series...I really like the first one, but I don't like the 2nd. I just pirated the 3rd one, so we'll see how that goes.
  • edited October 2009

IT IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I purchased a black used nintendo DS lite and a copy of Korg DS-10. I am a very happy fellow. Tomorrow I will deposit money into my bank account and order the R4 and a micro SD card.

Best. Birthday. Ever.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited October 2009
    I'm currently attempting to get rid of my Wii since it just sits around and I never play it. If I can't find somebody to sell it to, I'll probably trade it in at gamestop for game credit. At the same time I am speculating on buying a DS because there are a lot of cool games on it, or so I've heard. I am speculating on Scribblenauts, Layton, an Ace Attorney game and maybe some of the usual Nintendo crowd (Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemans).

Is there anything to be specifically to be kept in mind when buying a DS?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I'm currently attempting to get rid of my Wii since it just sits around and I never play it.
    Don't sell it, there are a lot of cool games coming out for it in the near future. Hold off until later and then see if you want to still sell it.
  • I'm currently attempting to get rid of my Wii since it just sits around and I never play it.
    Don't sell it, there are a lot of cool games coming out for it in the near future. Hold off until later and then see if you want to still sell it.
    Like what? I haven't really touched the Wii in about a year and I also haven't heard of any games that would pique my interest announced. On the other hand the DS has a lot of games I'd like to play and they also cost a lot less than Wii games.
  • Like what? I haven't really touched the Wii in about a year and I also haven't heard of any games that would pique my interest announced. On the other hand the DS has a lot of games I'd like to play and they also cost a lot less than Wii games.
    New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Metroid Other M, Sin and Punishment 2 and Epic Mickey, just to name the one's off the top of my head.
  • edited October 2009
    I haven't played New Super Mario Brothers for the DS yet so this pretty much cancels each other out. Other M is like a year removed from now, and so is Epic Mickey. And I hadn't even heard of Sin and Punishment 2 before you mentioned it here. I am not going to keep my Wii around for another year without using it when I could play games I actually want to play.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I went out and bought mario kart DS.

Friend code: 322352 514226