This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HELP, I've been fired (updated with new assholery)

edited October 2009 in Everything Else
I've just been fired from my job. There is no getting it back. If anyone is aware of any secretarial positions open in the NYC area, please let me know. Getting jobs through connections would be a lot easier than driving myself mad on Craigslist/Yahoo/Whatever, which I plan to do anyway. I also have a degree from SVA in animation, though I don't have a decent portfolio. I will be working on this while looking for work as well. I am a good artist, but I can't really professionally show it just yet.

UPDATE:
My company is trying to deny my unemployment benefits. They're claiming misconduct due to "excessive absenteeism". I've been sent a questionairre to fill out and send to the DOL ASAP.

I don't have a record of how many days I was out, but it was -not- "excessive". I was under the impression that I had only just used up my sick/personal days when they fired me. I was not told anywhere in the letter or questionnaire how many days beyond my sick/personal days I had taken, but I am positive that it could not have been many, if more than only one. I had one bitchy meeting in March about internet conduct, but no warning about sick days and no written warning whatsoever from the company.

This is bullshit. Do they have a leg to stand on? Is there anything I should know? Does anyone know how many days out per year are considered "excessive"? Can they screw me over like this? Is there anything I can do besides fill out the questionnaire and pray? How common is this?

Comments

• Aw, hun. Sorry to hear it. If I had any leads I'd throw them your way, but I'm in the wrong part of the country. I was in this situation last year. The best advice I can give is to not take a few days to get over it. Get out there today and pound the pavement getting applications. The moment you sit still is when depression hits. You're too nice to have that happen.
  • edited October 2009
    Aw, no, Judith! I am so sorry that you are in the position. I know of some opening in the Albany area, but I never check for NYC. Do you have any legal experience? Make sure you get in touch with some placement/temp agencies and use every connection you can on LinkedIn in addition to your craigslist/yahoo/etc. search. Good luck on your portfolio. Who knows, this may end up with you in a job related to your passion. I am only a few hours away if you need anything.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Thank you both.

Unfortunately, I have no legal experience. Do you know how to search for any decent agencies? Last time I was job-hunting, the best thing the agencies did for me was to fix up my resume. Every one that I went to failed to find me a job or keep in touch. I don't know what LinkedIn is, could you explain?

Again, thanks. I really appreciate anything from you guys.
  • Oh noes! I can't help in any way, except to say that each time I've been fired, after a month or so my life has improved far beyond what it was when I was sitting comfortably in the job I had. Time to move on and move up!
  • That sucks, was it a firing or a layoff?
    It was a firing. Their reasons were small and could be contested, (ie: You only stayed 2 hours overtime on that special job instead of 3), but there is still no getting it back.
  • You only stayed 2 hours overtime on that special job instead of 3
    Requiring overtime isn't allowed in some places in certain contexts, especially unpaid overtime. Of course, IANAL.

Regardless, congratulations on losing a job you hated. I hope you burned the bridges as thoroughly as possible. ^_~
  • Of course, IANAL.
    Please say that isn't some kind of iPod accessory..
    It was a firing. Their reasons were small and could be contested, (ie: You only stayed 2 hours overtime on that special job instead of 3), but there is still no getting it back.
    That's crazy. Good, suck that unemployment for all it's worth, you earned it :-p
  • Aww, Judith! I hope this means that you're that much closer to a job you actually like. I'll keep an eye out for you.
  • It was a firing. Their reasons were small and could be contested, (ie: You only stayed 2 hours overtime on that special job instead of 3), but there is still no getting it back.
    You know what? You should be singing The Dead Kennedys' "Take that job and shove it I ain't workin' here no more," because that job was crap. Now it's time to get you into the animation industry.
  • It was a firing. Their reasons were small and could be contested, (ie: You only stayed 2 hours overtime on that special job instead of 3), but there is still no getting it back.
    You know what? You should be singing The Dead Kennedys' "Take that job and shove it I ain't workin' here no more," because that job was crap. Now it's time to get you into the animation industry.
    If you don't mind a move, I've got a friend who's dad works for Pixar. I could shake that tree and see if anything falls out if you'd like...
    If you don't mind a move, I've got a friend who's dad works for Pixar. I could shake that tree and see if anything falls out if you'd like...
    You know if Emily didn't work at Muse Games (perish the thought), and was looking for a job, I imagine she'd jump on that opportunity.
  • I imagine that you'll get another job very soon. You atleast have some good opportunities now to get a better job that isn't as tedious and can possibly get better pay, but in all honesty, I'm hoping the absolute best for you.
  • edited October 2009
    She's not doing 3D so much at the moment, guys, but 2D animation is a good idea.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Every time I have lost a job by quitting or firing, it has been good in the end. The key is to not worry so much. You need to simultaneously work hard at finding a new job, but also make the most of the time during which you are unemployed. It also helps to have a large safety buffer of moneys. I had one, until I just lost it all on moving expenses. That's why I won't be buying much of anything in the coming months.
  • Sonic - Along with what Emily said, a move to California would be uprooting/costing way too much for us to handle right now. I appreciate the offer though.

Rym, Kate, Emily, Carolina, Scott, Scott J, Scott J #2 - Thanks so much for the support. I didn't make a lot to begin with and I don't have a lot saved up, so it's hard not to be scared right now. I did hate that job. I just wanted to be more financially secure before leaving. Still, it's really good to hear encouraging words after the confidence-axe that is being fired.

Good news - My dad is going to let me do medical transcriptions for him from home. It won't be as much as I made, but it will be a source of income that will give me time to work on my animation/art portfolio too. On top of that I'm going to keep job-hunting. Again, thanks everyone. I am sorry for the wangst.
  • Hey it's a big punch in the gut, gettin' fired suddenly.
  • Hey it's a big punch in the gut, gettin' fired suddenly.
    It really is -- even if you hate the job, it's a big blow.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but good luck, Loltsundere.
  • If you are going to have some time on your hands, I would recommend the Career Tools podcast. The shows average a half hour in length and cover a nice set of topics on finding and getting a job.
  • Rym, Kate, Emily, Carolina, Scott, Scott J, Scott J #2 - Thanks so much for the support. I didn't make a lot to begin with and I don't have a lot saved up, so it's hard not to be scared right now. I did hate that job. I just wanted to be more financially secure before leaving. Still, it's really good to hear encouraging words after the confidence-axe that is being fired.

Good news - My dad is going to let me do medical transcriptions for him from home. It won't be as much as I made, but it will be a source of income that will give me time to work on my animation/art portfolio too. On top of that I'm going to keep job-hunting. Again, thanks everyone. I am sorry for the wangst.
    That's okay. Trust me, a situation like this is not at all wangst, it's srs business. It's good that you will be able to stay afloat and on the bright side, you can stay at home with this job.
  • You know what? You should be singing The Dead Kennedys' cover of the David Alan Coe song "Take that job and shove it I ain't workin' here no more," because that job was crap. Now it's time to get you into the animation industry.
    Fixed that for you.
  • Wow, I had no idea that was a cover. Whenever I think of it I think of the punk version. Now I have to go search for the original.
  • Wow, I had no idea that was a cover. Whenever I think of it I think of the punk version. Now I have to go search for the original.
    Beware. David Alan Coe is an interesting dude.
    Beware. David Alan Coe is aninterestingdude.
    Exhibit A
  • Now I have to go search for the original.
    The most famous (and probably the most easily findable) version of that song was the cover by Johnny Paycheck. The David Alan Coe version is out there, but its sound is very similar to the Paycheck cover. Either way, if I ever get pissed off enough to quit my job, I'll be blaring that song out of truck's speakers as I peel out of the parking lot. *grin*
  • edited October 2009
    Man, all of the best country artists were completely out of their minds. Townes Van Zandt, David Alan Coe, Steve Earle, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash. All of those guys either did tons of drugs, were constantly in trouble with the law (Coe used to claim to have been on Death Row), or both. Americana is at its most interesting when you look at what everyone else curiously neglects to mention.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My company is trying to deny my unemployment benefits. They're claiming misconduct due to "excessive absenteeism". I've been sent a questionairre to fill out and send to the DOL ASAP.

I don't have a record of how many days I was out, but it was -not- "excessive". I was under the impression that I had only just used up my sick/personal days when they fired me. I was not told anywhere in the letter or questionnaire how many days beyond my sick/personal days I had taken, but I am positive that it could not have been many, if more than only one. I had one bitchy meeting in March about internet conduct, but no warning about sick days and no written warning whatsoever from the company.

This is bullshit. Do they have a leg to stand on? Is there anything I should know? Does anyone know how many days out per year are considered "excessive"? Can they screw me over like this? Is there anything I can do besides fill out the questionnaire and pray? How common is this?
  • You should have some documentation on how many sick and personal days you were allowed and how many you used. If you did not use more than you were allowed, then all you have to do is tell that to the unemployment people. You fill out the questionnaire. Then you'll probably get a phone call. Then you'll maybe have to go talk to somebody. It's a lot of BS. Basically, they just make you keep fighting.

The one thing is if you were, in fact, out an "excessive" number of days. Meaning you took more sick and personal days than you were allowed, then you might not be able to get unemployment.

Don't lose any sleep over it. Just keep fighting, appealing, etc. It's just bureaucratic bullshit.
  • edited October 2009
    My company is trying to deny my unemployment benefits. They're claiming misconduct due to "excessive absenteeism". I've been sent a questionairre to fill out and send to the DOL ASAP.

You should find a lawyer. It might be hard because not many will be interested in an unemployment case, but if you look, you'll find someone. Don't try to fight something like this on your own. You have enough to worry about with your job search.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope things work out.
    Just keep fighting, appealing, etc.
    Scott has a stellar record of fighting for unemployment benefits. He fought like a tiger when he lost his job.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on