This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

8-Bit Bands

edited October 2009 in Art!
I've created this thread to bring to your attention some really good bands I've found over the last few months that use video game sounds, music, and stories as a basis for their music. I know there must be more, so if you know 'em, post 'em.

Anamanaguchi is a band I found the other day through their cover of Wavves' So Bored. They use a hacked NES to generate the melodies and back it with a full rock band setup.
6GNFmd2BoAM

The Advantage is a band that does math rock covers of music from NES games. It also features Spencer Seim and Carson McWhirter of Hella.
R8Gt4tOUd-g

Powerglove does heavy metal covers of popular video game songs. Not my favorite, but worth mentioning.
trGkPerU3-k

And of course you know The Protomen... right?
dGvqMXYhYhU

Comments

• The Protomen are awesome. If you like chiptune/videogame music, I suggest checking out 8bitpeoples, they put up a new album from one of many artists for free fairly often. They have a huge catalog, so with some digging I'm sure anyone could find something they like.
  • Anamanaguchi is a band I found the other day through their cover of Wavves'So Bored. They use a hacked NES to generate the melodies and back it with a full rock band setup.
    Wow, I was definitely impressed. They so need to be at PAX East this year...
  • edited October 2009
    Anamanaguchi is like if the Octopus Project got onstage and just went "Fuck this, today we're playing Heavy Barrel." I love it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2009
    I really like YMCK. I saw them at the last Katsucon.

Post edited by Viga on
  • edited October 2009
    The Advantage slay, their Kraid's Lair cover on Elf Titled is especially good.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Not sure how closely Slagsmalsklubben fit but, they seem relevant.
  • Apparently, The Spoony Bards are con regulars for all you guys on the east coast, but I saw them at their first set of shows on the west coast this weekend. Their rendition of Sewer Surfin was the best.

• edited January 2010
    I just started listening to the Megas. I really like their music (their first album is all about Mega Man 2), but their singer is kind of generic sounding.

How can you possibly lose with lyrics like "Do you know what it's like to be built this way? With only the power to push others away?"
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited January 2010
    I just started listening to the Megas. I really like their music (their first album is all about Mega Man 2), but their singer is kind of generic sounding.
    How can you possibly lose with lyrics like "Do you know what it's like to be built this way? With only the power to push others away?"
    I don't think that musically they did anything special, best thing in there was still the basic melody of Airman theme. But adding lyrics and singing earns lots of points and it made that a lot better than what it would have been without lyrics. Gotta check how their other songs sound like.
    Edit: I just realised that their songs are kind of Megaman fanfiction.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • And no one has mentioned Sabrepulse? And you know what is totally awesome? He is playing a show 15mins from my house (squeal!)
  • The Depreciation Guild combine punky chiptune with shoegaze. Fans of Anamanaguchi, consume:

• I think we need some less 8-bit bands and more 16-bit.
  • How could I forget to post this! Here are the Attic Bits! They're a two-man chiptune band from New Hampshire, with experimental, improvisational, and hip-hop influences.

Highlights:

"Unlikely Heroes"
    "Gone Are the Days" (Extended Mix)

You can listen to their whole album for free here at Bandcamp. It's also on Itunes for $10. If everything works out, they will be at Connecticon next year, fuck yeah :D I forsee much geeky dancing.
  • I think we need some less 8-bit bands and more 16-bit.
  • edited November 2010
    Funktify by Mr. Spastic

Found Mr. Spastic a while back, love it.
    If you like 8 bit, you probably like chiptunes, so obligatory she.
    Post edited by Wolfin on
  • "Samurai Beat" by Higedriver
  • I was going to post these in the Electronic Music thread, but I think they will fit in over here for obvious reasons.

Flying Lotus: Kill Your Co-Workers

Ikonika: Sahara Michael

• Love Through Cannibalism combines chiptune with breakbeat and it. is. fucking. incredible. You can download all his stuff here. If you only get one thing, make it the MissingNo. EP. It's only four minutes long and worth every nanosecond of your time.

• edited April 2011
    From Brendan Becker's bandcamp page (the guy who runs Magfest):

8-bit version of C-lo Green's "Fuck You", with video game themed lyrics to sing along to
    I hate Cee Lo Green, but that's a great song. I talked to him at Ohayocon about said song, and bought that Inverse Phase CD from him. He's a cool dude and it's a great chiptune remix CD.

I'm also a big fan of Sabrepulse and Anamanaguchi.

Sail - that's a great song but it seems almost exactly like Sabrepulse's style to me (not that it's a bad thing, merely that it's nothing groundbreaking like those 2 reaction images make it seem like). It's a genre called "chipbreak".

BREAK YOURSELF FOOL!

Post edited by Dkong on
  • After looking at this list it appears that most of these bands I've seen perform live at MAGfest, PAX, or at the Blip Festival. I advise you all to attend those if you are into the music.
  • edited October 2012
    Apparently everyone in the world knew about Unicorn Kid except for me. Might go see him on Wednesday.

Also, if you're not listening to Slime Girls, what are you doing with your life.

Post edited by Sail on
  • The only 8-bit band I care for is Disasterpeace. That whole style isn't really my thing. I'm too young to have nostalgia or even memory for when chiptunes were modern.
  • NEW ANAMANAGUCHI VIDEO EVERYONE