This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Black Hole Created in Laboratory

edited October 2009 in News
http://blogs.discovery.com/space_disco/2009/10/first-ever-black-hole-created-on-earth.html

Basically what this article boils down to is that:

Some scientists in a university in China have created a artificial black hole that sucks in electromagnetic radiation ONLY. It sucks in microwave radiation. It is not gravitational.

If one that sucked in wavelengths of the visual spectrum of the EM spectrum could be created, you could use it to build a more efficient form of solar energy or a nice medical scanner or something to treat cancer, because:

When a black hole sucks something in, it releases equivalent ammounts of x-Ray and infrared radiation, among other kinds. X-rays have medical purposes, infrared can be used to boil water to generate steam to turn turbines, and other kinds of radiation can be used to kill tumors.

So, hooray for humanity.

Comments

• You know science is badass when we can do something like this.
  • I come across weird and awesome science if not daily at least once a week; hyper drives tested at the LHC, neutrinos used to blow up nuclear weapons, the "disk of death" of muon colliders etc. etc.. I wonder whether I should put up a thread for this sort of thing? Sometimes I put it into the YTOTD thread but most times I'd need to explain way too much.
  • I wonder whether I should put up a thread for this sort of thing?
    Go for it. Make it a "Fuck yeah science!" thread.
  • I come across weird and awesome science if not daily at least once a week; hyper drives tested at the LHC, neutrinos used to blow up nuclear weapons, the "disk of death" of muon colliders etc. etc.. I wonder whether I should put up a thread for this sort of thing? Sometimes I put it into the YTOTD thread but most times I'd need to explain way too much.
    How about you make a blog?
  • Second on the blog, Timo! Or just gate this stuff directly to me so I can snort it like intellectual cocaine!
  • Either way, this is pretty awesome.
  • What about radiation from nuclear waste?
  • Please make that thread, Timo.

I add my vote to the creation of that thread/blog, Timo. I'd so totally put it in Reader.
  • I'd Reader it.

Also, between this news story and the LHC Causality Bubble/Time travel sabotage, it's official: we are living in a SpecFic novel. Humanity is awesome.

• I feel this technology will not have reached it's full potential until it is integrated into a teddy bear.
  • Concept Art a la random 4chan drawfag
  • I feel this technology will not have reached it's full potential until it is integrated into a teddy bear.
    A black hole that absorbs sadness radiation and emits happiness waves?