This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where the Wild Things Are

edited October 2009 in Movies
While this is technically a thread for discussing the movie, it's certainly appropriate to discuss the book as well.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I highly recommend it. It does capitalize on nostalgia a touch (not that I'm opposed to that sort of thing - it just has to be done properly), but it does an excellent job of interpreting an old classic and exploring the themes therein with greater depth and intensity than could be done in a children's book.

Naturally, they had to add a fairly substantial amount of content, since the book itself was so short and contained a very simple plot. The content they added explored many of the themes in the book to a great depth, and did so in a way that is very much aimed at the young to middle-aged adult. In addition to the themes of emotional maturation, exploration, and isolation, the movie explores friendship and relationships in general, particularly addressing changing relationships, drifting apart, and so forth.

Bring tissues. If you're human, you'll likely need them.

Comments

• Don't be misled by all the marketing towards kids and the fact that it's based on a classic kid's book- this isn't a kid's movie. When I saw it most of the theatre was filled with kids and their parents, and several times during the movie a few kids kept asking why Max was upset, or why one of the wild things did something strange. One kid even asked when the movie was going to be over.
  • Don't be misled by all the marketing towards kids and the fact that it's based on a classic kid's book- this isn't a kid's movie. When I saw it most of the theatre was filled with kids and their parents, and several times during the movie a few kids kept asking why Max was upset, or why one of the wild things did something strange. One kid even asked when the movie was going to be over.
    It could work as a kid's movie if the kids are mature, but I agree; this isn't really aimed at the younger demographic. Actually, IMDB says that Spike Jonze had to change the movie to be more family-friendly; apparently, his first iteration was even darker and less appropriate for children.
  • I just read the wikipedia page, this is a ten sentence children's story? And they made a movie about it?
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    I just read the wikipedia page, this is a ten sentence children's story? And they made a movie about it?
    Maurice Sendak and Spike Jonze had many, many meetings in which they discussed such issues and under Sendak's supervision and approval, the story that you see on the screen was created. I for one cannot wait to see it as this was my favorite book when I was growing up as a kid and it looks like they kept the spirit while adding some much needed depth to the story.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Slightly off topic, but why aren't there any movies based on Judy Bloom books? They would make great movies. Also, the A Wrinkle in Time trilogy (no, Many Waters does not count) by Madeleine L'Engle would make great movies if made by someone that wanted to do the source material justice. The 2003 A Wrinkle in Time movie was terrible, but only because it drastically deviated from the source material in both content and tone. The CG in that film was also quite cheap and jarring.
  • I just read the wikipedia page, this is a ten sentence children's story? And they made a movie about it?
    You...never read it?

It's one of the most acclaimed children's books ever. I have many fond childhood memories around it, and while I don't remember the ten sentences, I remember the story and much of its meaning, as well as most of the illustrations. It's actually quite a profound story that touches on a lot of subjects, and the fact that it does so with so little text is a testament to its quality.
  • Slightly off topic, but why aren't there any movies based on Judy Bloom books? They would make great movies. Also, theA Wrinkle in Timetrilogy (no,Many Watersdoes not count) by Madeleine L'Engle would make great movies if made by someone that wanted to do the source material justice. The 2003A Wrinkle in Timemovie was terrible, but only because it drastically deviated from the source material in both content and tone. The CG in that film was also quite cheap and jarring.
    I played (and beat) the Wrinkle in Time Video Game for the Apple //gs. OH SNAP.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    I just read the wikipedia page, this is a ten sentence children's story? And they made a movie about it?
    Really? What books did you read as a child then? I'm very surprised that never ended up in your bookshelf because almost everyone I know has read it as a child.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Slightly off topic, but why aren't there any movies based on Judy Bloom books?
    I suspect that would probably anger the religious right so much that nobody wants to try. Isn't Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret? one of the most challenged books ever?

Though, to be honest, there's a line from the WTWTA movie that could anger the religious right too. We'll have to see how that plays out.
  • edited October 2009
    Yes, but movies and books that are controversial/anger the religious right often sell better because they get a ton of free press and generated interest based on the controversy. Seriously, the books continue to sell quite well how many years later and can pull in a wide range of age groups, so why can't the movie if it is even reasonably well done?
    Harry Potter was panned by the religious right and it didn't suffer in the least.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Harry Potter was panned by the religious right and it didn't suffer in the least.
    Harry Potter was already riding pretty damn high though. However, it would be nice to see some intellectually challenging kids media.
  • Harry Potter was panned by the religious right and it didn't suffer in the least.
    Harry Potter was already riding pretty damn high though. However, it would be nice to see some intellectually challenging kids media.
    Judy Blume books have consistently sold well since the 1970s. They are ubiquitous in elementary schools (at least in the US).
  • Plan 3852:

1. Write screenplay that totally rips off Judy Blume, but is just different enough to avoid lawsuit.

2. ?

3. Profit.
  • (no,Many Watersdoes not count)
    I remember reading that book as a young teen, but all I really remember was that there were hot twins on the cover. Also, that it had a manticore, and that people got a horrible sunburn and fell in the garbage.
    The 2003A Wrinkle in Timemovie was terrible
    Wow, I didn't even know that it existed. So much for that! However, it couldn't be worse than "The Dark is Rising" adaptation that came out a few years ago. Pfeh! So bad!
  • (no,Many Watersdoes not count)
    I remember reading that book as a young teen, but all I really remember was that there were hot twins on the cover. Also, that it had a manticore, and that people got a horrible sunburn and fell in the garbage.
    I remember terrible tearing when a woman gave birth to an angel's baby. I also remember that it was a less interesting story with inferior writing than the other three books.
  • Slightly off topic, but why aren't there any movies based on Judy Bloom books? They would make great movies.
    Only Fudge-a-Mania been a movie. A TV movie that differs from the book. And a TV series based on some of the chapters in the Fudge books. I would like to see Blubber made as a movie. I loved that as a kid. The rest I barely remember.
  • Shameless self-promoter is shameless.
  • Just saw it. This movie definitely fits into a weird place. It's not quite simple enough to be a kids movie -- all the little kids in the theater kept asking their parents why a character was acting a certain way and so forth -- but it lacks the profundity to be a very adult movie. I loved the way it looked and I loved the soundtrack and, for what it was, it was very well done.
  • but it lacks the profundity to be a very adult movie.
    Really? I found it to be fairly profound. The Wild Things had adult relationships with adult problems. I would say that a lot of the profundity comes from presenting adult problems in the context of what is supposed to be a children's story.

There were some pretty profound lines in there too. Simple but effective. For example: "Carol, there's no such thing as a king" is pretty profound in the context in which it was presented.
  • edited October 2009
    Huh, I didn't really think about that part. But I didn't see the relationships and problems meaning to be "adult" relationships and problems. I saw them as reflections on the relations and problems in Max's life. Not "adult" per se, just realistic.

As my friend just so elegantly put it, "The dude(Spike Jonze) had more of a realistic relationship with a 9 foot monster than most characters do in films in general."
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I watched this movie with my mom.

We both cried.

It was good.
  • My girlfriend felt that Carol was supposed to represent Max, but I felt that Carol was more of a Manic Depressive, while I was watching it, but thinking back on it, I'm not really sure. I'll definitely have to see it again.