This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Burning Wheel Hoodies

edited October 2009 in Role Playing Games
Since I know there at least a few BW fans here... :P

The esteemed Mr. Crane is now accepting pre-orders on some pretty sweet-looking Burning Wheel hoodies.

Now, the next time there's a gaming convention at the same time as a big college football game, the gamers can be both better behaved than and as color-coordinated as the football fans.

Comments

• Those are pretty sweet.
  • Man, I don't even have a BW group together yet, and I might buy one of those...
  • Those are hideous! I even voted on the "should we make a hoodie" thing and said definitely yes. However, that design is so ghetto (apparently intentionally so) and simply looks cheap and tacky.
    This is a case when design needs to be edited and more is simply more - not better.
  • Yeah, that's pretty damn ugly. It'd be OK if it just had the wheel on the back, but as Kate said this design is just tacky.
  • I will never buy these and I don't see how they are stylish in any way. Somebody should contact Luke Crane and tell him to change them...but it's probably too late.
  • Fuck all you haters. Sometimes you have to wear your beliefs (and instincts) on your sleeve. Literally.
  • Fuck all you haters. Sometimes you have to wear your beliefs (and instincts) on your sleeve. Literally.
    But what if the "flag" that portrays and spreads your beliefs and instincts is poorly constructed and does not deserve to represent said beliefs?
  • But what if the "flag" that portrays and spreads your beliefs and instincts is poorly constructed and does not deserve to represent said beliefs?
    So what? My flag has a big, fuck-off burning wheel on it, 'nuff said.

(sorry about all the potty mouth keyboard, but it's really waaaam today, my blood's up)
  • It looks like it is trying to appeal to urban youth, the same people who brought us wearing team winter jackets in summer and ill-fitting pants. I think that says it all.
  • ill-fitting pants.
    But I wear ill-fitting pants too.

Sadly... I am wearing ill-fitting pants today. Rollerblading to and from the train station every day, plus my usual running and coupled with decreased food intake due to working the night shift has caused even my smallest jeans to hang baggy around my waist. I used to joke about wearing women's jeans, but at this point they probably -would- fit me better. -_-
  • I'm going to have to throw my hat in with the "that things looks like aaaaaaaasssss" crowd. I went and had a look before I read the comments here and upon seeing the enlarged pic of the hoodie I had a "WTF is this shit?" look on my face. I don't know if they're trying to justify the $30 price tag by printing on every possible surface on that thing, but they really need to tone it down. The logo on the back and the printing on the hood would have been enough. The heart on the front and text down the sides of the sleeves push it from the "something I would wear" category into the "oi, look at the gamer trying to look like a hood rat" category. From what I read in the BW fora they've changed the design slightly so that there's just text down one sleeve and the other has a trail of flames and the wheel on it, but even still it just looks tacky.
  • You know, I can't see a picture of this anywhere, but from the people who like it versus the people who don't, it make me think that it is some hipster-looking hoodie design from Brooklyn that fogies have a problem with. Is it all Threadless styling, or something?
  • You know, I can't see a picture of this anywhere, but from the people who like it versus the people who don't, it make me think that it is some hipster-looking hoodie design from Brooklyn that fogies have a problem with. Is it all Threadless styling, or something?
    No, it is specifically made to look like a gang hoodie. The pic is on the link.
    Also, who the heck are you calling a fogie? :p
  • No, it is specifically made to look like a gang hoodie. The pic is on the link.
    No, it is gone.
  • Honestly, the only thing I dislike about this design is the writing on the arms. I'm not sure where everyone is getting this "gang/ghetto" buisness, a hoodie's a hoodie.
  • I agree with Sail, the only thing I didn't like was the writing on the arms. Flaming wheel? Woo! Ridiculous heart? WOO! It's over the top and super metal, I love it.
  • I agree with Sail, the only thing I didn't like was the writing on the arms. Flaming wheel? Woo! Ridiculous heart? WOO! It's over the top and super metal, I love it.
    The writing on the arms was bad, but the heart was unnecessary and the graphic for the wheel and the heart both seemed "sketchy" as opposed to clean lines. They seemed like they probably looked great as a small logo, but blown up large it just looks messy. This is totally subjective, but they really weren't to my taste.
  • What you're calling "sketchy" very much fits the art aesthetic of the books. If they used super clean lineart, it would not work at all.
  • It looked sorta mis-matched. Each of the elements on it's own hoodie would have worked but together they seemed so unconnected.
  • edited October 2009
    What you're calling "sketchy" very much fits the art aesthetic of the books. If they used super clean line art, it would not work at all.
    I am familiar with the art of the books, which, as I said, works when the art is small, but blown up that large just looks unprofessional. I think the effect would be lessened if it didn't look like they randomly threw in some extra graphics. Just my personal taste, though.
    It looked sorta mis-matched. Each of the elements on it's own hoodie would have worked but together they seemed so unconnected.
    This.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Admittedly, I didn't see the designs very closely. I like them from what I saw (a small picture), but if they're that bad life-sized, I'm hoping the folks over at the Burning Wheel forum will get on Maestro Crane's ass about it, haha.
  • Admittedly, I didn't see the designs very closely. I like them from what I saw (a small picture), but if they're that bad life-sized, I'm hoping the folks over at the Burning Wheel forum will get on Maestro Crane's ass about it, haha.
    It isn't that each on its own is bad, it is that that much all together and large appears messy from the image. Maybe it looks better in real life.
  • Emily is right - there's nothing showing up in the apparel category now. I'm hoping they took it down to go do a redesign, but I'm betting they sold out of the pre-orders. O_o
  • What you're calling "sketchy" very much fits the art aesthetic of the books. If they used super clean lineart, it would not work at all.
    But what if you didn't like the lineart in the books?

The point seems to be irrelevant since I don't see any hoodies on the site as of this writing.
  • For the sake of discussion:
  • I dunno, I think it looks kinda hip to me. It doesn't scream out "gang," but rather it looks more like those ornate printed t-shirts that were trendy last year. It's alright. However!
    It looked sorta mis-matched. Each of the elements on it's own hoodie would have worked but together they seemed so unconnected.
    This. I agree. I'd rather it was just the wheel on the back, or the heart on the front. The design on the hood looks too busy.
  • I wonder if the material is actually all shiny or if that is an artifact of the photography.
  • edited October 2009
    The lettering on the arms bugs me (plus the font choice is bad), the heart is so-so, and the hood design is abysmal. It looks like a hobo vomited blood on the back f the hood. The only thing on there that I like is the wheel, and the color of red that they chose for it isn't the best either.

@Apreche - I was wondering that too. It's a double fail if it's actually shiny. The only thing that could make that worse would if they somehow have flame.gif on there, or a rotating skull.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • @Apreche - I was wondering that too. It's a double fail if it's actually shiny. The only thing that could make that worse would if they somehow have flame.gif on there, or a rotating skull.
    Actually, I like the shiny.