This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Project Blue Earth SOS

edited August 2006 in Anime
It looks like the next four or five weeks of GeekNights are tied up with Otakon stuffs. Rather than wait that long to let you know about this great new anime, I have to make a little forum post. Everyone needs to go out and watch Project Blue Earth SOS right away. Currently there is only one 45 minute long TV episode, but I'm sure there will be more. The best way I can describe the show is to say that it is the Read or Die OAV plus the feel of Gatekeepers with a plot similar to Independence Day. It's colorful retro sci-fi action with a heaping side dish of awesome. There's only one episode to see for the time being, and you can still get it on bittorrent. Watch it.

Comments

• Forgive a stupid question...

I clicked on your bittorrent link. The page shows a file named: " Project Blue Earth SOS 1." It is 336mb. I then clicked on the file. Instead of downloading it took me to a new page listing several files. The closest match I could find was: "[ureshii]Project_Blue_Chikyuu_SOS_01[69158B98].avi" which is 336.03mb. I assume this is the file that I should download, correct? Seems entirely obvious, but I just wanted to make sure.
  • Forgive a stupid question...

I clicked on your bittorrent link. The page shows a file named: " Project Blue Earth SOS 1." It is 336mb. I then clicked on the file. Instead of downloading it took me to a new page listing several files. The closest match I could find was: "[ureshii]Project_Blue_Chikyuu_SOS_01[69158B98].avi" which is 336.03mb. I assume this is the file that I should download, correct? Seems entirely obvious, but I just wanted to make sure.
    Yes, I think that's fairly obvious.
  • edited August 2006
    It was, but I just wanted to make sure since my computer will be plugging away for a while with the download.

Is there a good website that keeps up with anime that is available through bittorrent? (new releases, etc.) I'd like to try a few more after my disappointment with "Spirited Away," but I'd like to read summaries first and/or get recommendations. I guess the simple question is, how do you guys stay on top of all of this stuff?

Also, at the risk of bringing up a touchy subject... how concerned is the MPAA with anime downloads? I assume that most of these are carried by niche companies, if they are available in the USA at all. The major releases (e.g. "Spirited Away") are carried by major motion picture conmpanies, but I find it hard to believe that most OVAs are.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I'm going to try to keep this relatively simple. For more info, you can read lots of stuff on wikipedia and other websites.

Anime is distributed in Japan either on TV, in the theatres or OVA. Fansubbers put subtitles on it then put it on bittorrent and such. Once a company in the US licenses a property for distribution most of the fansub community will cease distributing and producing fansubs. Then eventually the anime is released on DVD, TV and/or theatres in the US.

Major motion pictures like Spirited Away and Metropolis are typically licensed by big time MPAA guys like Disney or Columbia Tri-Star. They protect that stuff as much as they protect any other movie. Most other anime are licensed by Bandai, Media Blasters, ADV, FUNimation and other US anime distributors. You can buy all that stuff on DVD or watch it on TV as it is released.

Fansubs are technically illegal. Japanese companies are most upset by this. DVDs are very expensive in Japan and cheap in the US. Because it is possible to watch our DVDs with Japanese audio and no subtitles, and because fansubs still have Japanese audio, there is a problem of Japanese fans reimporting anime meant for us.

The US anime distributors officially have an anti-fansub policy, but most of them like fansubs off the record. They keep a close eye on the popularity of different fansubs to figure out which series will be more profitable to license. In fact, companies like ADV started out as fansubbing groups back in the day. They also like how fansubs can build a fanbase for a series before it is released, which is basically free advertising. Without fansubs you probably couldn't make a decent profit selling anime DVDs in the US. Much in the same way that the Death Note manga wouldn't sell at all if it weren't for the scanslators building a huge fanbase around it.

Animesuki is the best place to get "legitimate" English fansubs of the newest anime from Japan. They are always sure to remove links to torrents of shows that are licensed for distribution in the US. Judging by the fact that animesuki has been operating without interruption for many years, it doesn't seem like any companies with money and copyrights are out to shut them down. If you watch anime on animesuki you will be sure to always get the latest and greatest anime from Japan with english subtitles, and you can always feel ethically and morally okay, even though you won't be 100% following the letter of the law.

If you want to be 100% legal your only option is to watch anime on TV, buy DVDs, make your own anime or move to Japan. Thems the breaks. However, if you're new to anime I would highly recommend not starting out by watching fansubs. Fansub watching is typically for existing anime fans who know what they like. If you are new to anime, and you start seeing the latest episodes of every series on the air in Japan, you are going to get a bad impression. There's a lot of moe on TV in Japan right now, and it will scare you away. Your best bet is to netflix or buy the existing great anime series already available in the US on DVD.
  • Have you checked out the "track-shun" podcast?
  • Is there anyway that Animesuki will warn you when a new episdoe becomes available?

I watched about half of the episode, and so far I really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.
  • Is there anyway thatAnimesukiwill warn you when a new episdoe becomes available?

I watched about half of the episode, and so far Ireallyenjoy it. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.
    They have an RSS feed.
  • Ah, I see... Awesome. Thanks for the help.
  • edited August 2006
    I finished watching the first episode. It was fantastic. According to the official website, it looks like the second episode has aired. I'm looking forward to seeing it become available on Animesuki.

Can anyone recommend a series available on Animesuki that is similar to this? I'd love to check something else out no that I've suppressed my memories of "Spirited Away."
  • If you want to watch something really different I recommend The Meloncholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
  • If you want to watch something really different I recommend The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
    Totally in agreement. The novels are also very good.
  • Do they have them in english?
  • This site is currently translating them(the first three volumes are done), and they seem to be working quickly.
  • If you like Project Blue Earth SOS, I highly recommend Read or Die. (The OAV. NOT the television series). It may seem odd at first, but bear with it and let suspension of disbelief take hold. It's a riot of a show.
  • The series is quickly coming up on my Netflix queue. Are you advising against it or just saying that it's not as good as the OAV?
  • edited August 2006
    I finally stumbled upon the anime recommendation tool at Anime Planet. What a cool feature.

Here's what I've got in my queue:
    - Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    - Jin Roh, The Wolf Brigade
    - Read or Die
    - Ghost in the Shell (the original movie)

Are the Ghost in the Shell sequels and/or TV show worthwhile?

And to think that I was just in Japan! I have a hacked DVD player, but do the DVDs in Japan have english subtitles? DVD prices were generally more expensive in Japan, so I doubt I would have bought many DVDs anyway. We did get the Japanese Cartoon Network on cable. There were some pretty interesting shows on that channel, but I didn't understand anything that was being said.
  • The TV series is completely unrelated to the show other than superficial cameos. It has 2 decent action scenes surrounded by a sea of school romance crap and gratuitous lesbian undertones. The end is craptacularly stupid, the plot twists are just silly, the characters are completely one-dimensional... I could go in.

Read or Die TV is nothing more than an attempt to make money off of the Read or Die name. The OAV is the only thing worth watching.
  • Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig are verymuch worth watching. Hard sci-fi with excellent action. Both movies are very good as well, though they miss out on some of the better character development just for being movies instead of shows.
  • I really need to watch 2nd Gig, I watched the first couple episodes but it never really held me like the first season did. Not sure why.

I'll also throw out Cowboy Bebop the series, which I can assume you'll like.
  • I finally stumbled upon the anime recommendation tool atAnime Planet. What a cool feature.
    Goddamn that's useful. I've yet to come upon any recommendations or ideas that I've disagreed with. Nothing that I'd have not thought of myself, either, but I've spent the summer looking up reviews of and correlating Anime, so I'd expect that. I'll definetly point it out to freshmen, though. I have this terrible feeling I'm going to spend the first week of school bombarded with freshmen asking me "Where do I get anime and what should I watch?"
  • Never heard of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Looked it up on ANN Encyclopedia, has potential. As for Ghost in the Shell, all of it is good. But more than anything, I reccomend the manga. It's really really easy to get now that Dark Horse has newer, better, printings of both the original and Man-Machine Interface.

first manga
    second manga

Also, every GitS movie and TV show is available on DVD in the US. Although I'm not sure if the final episodes of 2nd gig have been released yet. They should be coming soon.
  • edited August 2006
    Okay I just finished watching the episode and I must say I definately dig the retrofuture style, as well as the old school breaks to commercial in there too.
    |
    I'll be checking in for when that next episode hits, no doubt.
    Post edited by MrPeriod on
  • What's the usual time-lag for new episodes getting posted?
  • What's the usual time-lag for new episodes getting posted?
    When a show airs in Japan it usually takes a few days to a week for it to show up on bittorrent. For good shows or very skilled subbing groups it might even take less than a day. Check your Japanese TV schedules to find out when the next episode of your favorite show will air.
  • Jin Roh was pretty decent at first. What killed it for me was this metaphor that they kept on using over and over again. By the end of the movie, I was sick of the metaphor and the movie.
  • Pardon the newbie question, but what do "OP" and "ED" mean when it comes to anime?
  • Pardon the newbie question, but what do "OP" and "ED" mean when it comes to anime?
    OP refers to the opener. ED referse to the end or the closer. Sometimes people use them to refer to the actual openers and closers, sometimes they use them to refer to the opening and closing songs.
  • One more newbie question...
    I'm watching a couple of series being posted on animesuki. All are current series, airing in Japan now. How likely is it that they will make it to the end on animesuki. I'll go nuts if something gets licensed partway through the run. Is this common, or am I just being paranoid?
  • One more newbie question...
    I'm watching a couple of series being posted on animesuki. All are current series, airing in Japan now. How likely is it that they will make it to the end on animesuki. I'll go nuts if something gets licensed partway through the run. Is this common, or am I just being paranoid?
    No, it's very common, but it depends on the series. A short or unpopular series will probably be fansubbed all the way through. A long running or popular series will almost certaintly be licensed before it is finished. A movie usually gets licensed quickly, so get it while it's hot. Good thing with movies is there is only one episode. OAVs are almost always fansubbed to completion. And of course, when someone is fansubbing a very old series that has still not be licensed, odds are you will see the end of it.
  • edited August 2006
    Then it will be time to look to usenet, eh?