This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Protect Your Freedom v. Freedom to "Protect"

OroOro
edited August 2006 in News
One small win for sanity and true Democracy.
But a steep slope before we work our way free from Democrazy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060817/ap_on_go_pr_wh/warrantless_surveillance&printer=1

Judge nixes warrantless surveillance

By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer 5 minutes ago

A federal judge ruled Thursday that the government's warrantless wiretapping program is unconstitutional and ordered an immediate halt to it.

U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit became the first judge to strike down the National Security Agency's program, which she says violates the rights to free speech and privacy.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs. They believe many of their overseas contacts are likely targets of the program, which involves secretly taping conversations between people in the U.S. and people in other countries.

The government argued that the program is well within the president's authority, but said proving that would require revealing state secrets.

The ACLU said the state-secrets argument was irrelevant because the Bush administration already had publicly revealed enough information about the program for Taylor to rule.

Comments

• This state secret thing is really out of hand. Judges need the power to look at state secrets and determine whether or not they are actually threats to national security. If they aren't then they need to be immediately declassified. It would also be nice if we could somehow punish the govt. for keeping secrets from the public unecessarily. Of course, if the secret is indeed a real secret, then the judge needs to keep his mouth shut and let it slide.
  • I have to agree with Scott on this. If it's supposed to be a secret then SHUT THE FUCK UP! Also the Bush administration is turning everything they do into state secrets. Not only that but when anyone disagrees with them or voices their opinion the administration says something along the lines of "you don't agree, then you are helping the terrorists." This is the mantra of the Religious Right, you don't agree, then you must be and evil bastard who will burn in hell fire.
  • Let's not forget the fact that the existence of this program was leaked and reported despite the Bush administration asking the media not to report it.

I agree, though. There should be some mechanism where certain judges can be given security clearance to review these matters "in camera." If they are valid secrets, then they can remain that way.
  • I look at "state secrets" much as I look at "trade secrets"...

What I mean by that is... The recipe for Coca Cola is a trade secret. It is protected by the fact that only a very small minority knows what the recipe is. If someone was to come out and accuse Coca Cola of putting some "chemical X" into their product the only way to defend it would be by divulging the recipe. You can't go by purchase orders because they may use the "chemical X" in the plant for something other then the recipe.

By that same token, the wiretapping WAS a state secret until someone told and the press investigated. The remaining portions of the program ARE still states secrets BUT if they have to come out in a court case they will no longer be state secrets. This is similar to the theory that after we broke the German and Japanesse codes during World War 2 we did not counter every move of the enemy because then they would know their codes were broken.

As for this being a "freedom of speech" issue... Freedom of speech does not gaurantee you to the "freedom from consequences" of your speech. I think too many people equate "freedom of speech" with a blanket protection against retaliation for what they say.

We are living in a time of war and some things HAVE to be kept as state secrets.

An example of a HUGE state secret that was kept for years after World War 2 was the capture of the German spies that were dropped off by U-boats on the East Coast of the USA. Do you know how they caught them all? One of the guys defected and told the FBI where to find everyone else. The US government played it up (in the press) as if the American homeland was so impregnable that as soon as these spies landed they were caught. If the Germans were aware of the truth of the matter they would have sent more spies over but because they were given the story that they were caught right away they did not bother sending anymore...

Right now we are at war with a group of people that do not fight as armies have fought in the past. They infiltrate and work in small groups. They use our own communication networks to work their mischief. I'm not particuarly happy that if I say something in jest on my phone I may get a visit from the feds, nor do I like the idea of someone coming to my door asking why someone did a web search for strange pron things from my network but... I tend to belive that the government is full of enough people of various political beliefs that no major law breaking can occur without at least one person leaking it out.
  • We are living in a time of war and some things HAVE to be kept as state secrets.
    But the war on terror is a never ending war. We are fighting a shadowy enemy that could be anybody and can never be defeated. A bit like 1984 isn't it.
  • True enough, it is a shadow enemy.

So, how do we fight it?

Would we be negligent if we did not use all of the tools at our disposal?
  • True enough, it is a shadow enemy.

So, how do we fight it?

Would we be negligent if we did not use all of the tools at our disposal?
    If you get into a fight with your imaginary friend you are indeed negligent if you do not use every means at your disposal. To win a fight against your imaginary friend your most powerful weapon is to cease imagining your imaginary friend. The war on terror is the same way. If we stop lying to ourselves and imagining an evil which largely does not exist, and we continue to be afraid of nothing we will be fighting a losing war forever. The only way out is to stop imagining dangers that do not exist and deal with the real dangers in an intelligent and reasonable fashion. It doesn't look like that is ever going to happen, at least not anytime soon. There aren't hoardes of terrorists everywhere out to get us, and we are in far less danger than the news and government would have you believe. Nothing to fear but fear itself and all that rot.
  • Very very good point Scott. It's not like we are fighting V.
  • Well Scott,

Percentage wise yes, there are very few terrorists out there. BUT, it only takes a small number to cause damage.

Yes, we are far more likely to die in a car accident then die in a terrorist attack but... car accidents are seen as that "accidents" and fall under the "can not be avoided by prior planning" umbrella. Terrorist attacks fall under the "why didn't you see this coming" umbrella.

IF you lost several members of your family in a car accident would you blame the government? IF you lost several members of your family because a terrorist detonated a bomb in a pizzaria would you feel the same way?
  • Well Scott,

Percentage wise yes, there are very few terrorists out there. BUT, it only takes a small number to cause damage.

Yes, we are far more likely to die in a car accident then die in a terrorist attack but... car accidents are seen as that "accidents" and fall under the "can not be avoided by prior planning" umbrella. Terrorist attacks fall under the "why didn't you see this coming" umbrella.

IF you lost several members of your family in a car accident would you blame the government? IF you lost several members of your family because a terrorist detonated a bomb in a pizzaria would you feel the same way?
    First, I'd like to say I'm not a fan of the blame game. I tire of people constantly worrying about who to blame when something goes wrong. Blaming doesn't make the world better, it makes it worse. If someone bad happens you should only concern yourself with how to fix it as best you can. Then you should carefully analyze the risk of it happening again, if and how it can be prevented from happening again, and whether it is worth the cost to prevent it from happening again. Blaming someone or something for the problem does not always fit into that equation, and usually only makes things worse.

Blame doesn't matter, like I said, but if terrorists killed my family you know who gets most of the blame? Terrorists get most of the blame. The rest of the blame does indeed go to the government, but not for failing to protect, or even for failing to see it coming. I blame the government for pissing off the terrorists in the first place. If our foreign policy wasn't so backwards then crazy people wouldn't want to blow us up as much.

Now, there are some crazy people who will try to kill you no matter what the foreign policy is. But if you ask me, I would rather risk being killed by those crazies, since the risk is low, than give up even a tiny amount of my civil liberties. It would be fine if people could choose based on personal preference how many rights they are willing to give up for their own security. Then timid people could give up all their rights, and I would give up none. The fact that the government forces the choice is a problem.

It's all about risk:reward and cost:benefit ratios. What is the risk of a terrorist attack? Is it worth the absolutely enormous cost to avert that relatively tiny risk? Let's make up some imaginary numbers. Let's say the risk of death by ninja is .1%. Someone says that for the cost of $1 they can decrease that risk to 0%. I'd pay a dollar. Now, let's say someone comes up and says that the risk of dinosaur bite is .0001% and that that risk can be avoided at the cost of a million dollars and the fifth amendment. I'd rather take the risk of dinosaur bite.

The problem with the way we are handling security in this country is that we are spending far too much time and too many resources to avert a relatively small risk. That time and resources could be used to save a larger total number of lives from bigger, easier to avert, risks. What makes it worse is that the security we are buying isn't even real security, it's an illusion of security. If the money went to hiring more police, building military defenses, properly educating people on how to protect themselves, etc., then it probably would not be a waste. Instead we spend money making each other feel safe from a very small risk while everything else in the world continues to kill us. At the bare minimum I want to be given the choice between liberty and safety rather than have the decision made for me.
  • edited August 2006
    The only flaw I see in your argument is that you measure the risk soley in lives. The risk is bigger than that. Our economy and status as a superpower are at risk. If we are subjected to repeated terrorist attacks, I dare say that our economy would go into a nosedive. Look at what happened to the stock market after 9/11. Although the economy barely faltered, I doubt this would be true with new attacks and $4/gallon gas. I, for one, don't want to make things easier for China than they already are! Frankly, having a job gives me more freedom than anything else. At least a job gives me the money to do what I want.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The only flaw I see in your argument is that you measure the risk soley in lives. The risk is bigger than that. Our economy and status as a superpower are at risk. If we are subjected to repeated terrorist attacks, I dare say that our economy would go into a nosedive. Look at what happened to the stock market after 9/11. Although the economy barely faltered, I doubt this would be true with new attacks and $4/gallon gas. I, for one, don't want to make things easier for China than they already are! Frankly, having a job gives me more freedom than anything else. At least a job gives me the money to do what I want.
    Yeah, I'll agree with that. I said we have to consider the risks. I didn't say I was the expert who should be doing the calcuating.
  • The only flaw I see in your argument is that you measure the risk soley in lives. The risk is bigger than that. Our economy and status as a superpower are at risk. If we are subjected to repeated terrorist attacks, I dare say that our economy would go into a nosedive. Look at what happened to the stock market after 9/11. Although the economy barely faltered, I doubt this would be true with new attacks and $4/gallon gas. I, for one, don't want to make things easier for China than they already are! Frankly, having a job gives me more freedom than anything else. At least a job gives me the money to do what I want.
    The same thing happens to the economy when you give up freedom. If you can't speak up about taxation what stops them from making it insane.The corporations move off shore due to the taxes. This damages the economy and makes less tax income so the government introduces more taxes. More corporations move off shore due to the new taxes and the cycle repeats.
  • edited August 2006
    The same thing happens to the economy when you give up freedom. If you can't speak up about taxation what stops them from making it insane.
    Straw man argument. I haven't seen anything done so far that has limited my right to speak out against taxation. Heck, millions of people are speaking out against the war. I'm sure we can also speak out against taxation. I understand your point, but nobody is suggesting that things have gone that far. We are merely talking about looking for terrorists. Remind me again of this argument when someone is put in jail for complaining about their taxes.

Interestingly enough, taxes are much lower than they should be. Look at the deficit we are running! We need to either cut spending or raise taxes to balance the budget. Senator Lieberman, who is in favor of the war, just lost his primary. I'd say the opponents of the war are doing just fine. Some of these folks are no doubt opposed to the war because of its tremendous cost.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Hey may have lost the primary but he will win the general election as an independant.
  • Hey may have lost the primary but he will win the general election as an independant.
    Lieberman is such a sad case. I look at his policies and everything other than his stance on the war and his stance on violent video games is moderately agreeable. I used to live in CT, so he represented me for a significant portion of my life. CT will probably vote him back in based on name recognition alone. It's sad that name recognition is perhaps the number one factor in deciding who is elected.
  • As I see it, it is nigh impossible to win a war that is fought against an ideology.
    Look for instance at what happened when America decided to war against communism. It resulted in some of the more horrific and disgraceful conflicts in our nation's history, helped set the stage for some of the major conflicts of today, and was, for the most part, a failure. While the Soviet Union did eventually collapse (though IMO more due to the inherent flaws in the communist system than anything else) one of the largest communist states in the world, China, still remains a viable military and economic power. Let's not forget the loose handle that is North Korea either, a problem we're still coping with today.
    A war against terrorism could easily produce the same sort of results, if not worse ones, given the virulence and tenacity of the ideologies that often give rise to it. As well the sheer omnipresence of terrorism in many corners of the globe can lay way to the dangerous possibility of the government using the war as reasoning for any number of future conflicts.
    And let us not forget, we will not win it. George Bush has said so much himself (though he quickly recanted)
    So instead of declaring war, and in turn use it as justification for the current imbalance in civil liberties, we can simply safe gaurd ourselves against terrorism as best we can while trying to peacefuly and diplomatically deal with the sort of social instability and violence that breeds terrorism.
  • China is learning the power of commerce as opposed to communism...

The question is...

Do they want to become a trade nation or a military power? I cringe whenever something high-tech is made in China. I understand the idea that if you have a trade relationship with another country you are less likely to go to war with them but... That did not stop World War 1 from occuring...

The only way to fight terrorism is with education. you have to win the "hearts and minds" of the people who are now choosing to enter the terrorist groups. Much like stopping the next generation of gang bangers from joining the gang lifestyle.

At the same time, you have many countries in the middle east who give out cash to these "militia/terrorist" groups and use them as a proxy military to do the work they do not want directly linked to them. I'm still shocked Iran publicly said they support Hezbolah with money, training and weapons...
  • edited August 2006
    I actually briefly heard it mentioned (though I have nothing to confirm the myth) that Russia, China, and Brazil were briefly considering an extremely open trade pact much like NAFTA that would establish them as the largest industrial and economic power in the world by far.
    Who knows what creedance there was in it, but it was certainly a scary idea to contemplate.
    Post edited by Hasbro on
  • I actually briefly heard it mentioned (though I have nothing to confirm the myth) that Russia, China, and Brazil were briefly considering an extremely open trade pact much like NAFTA that would establish them as the largest industrial and economic power in the world by far.

Who knows what creedance there was in it, but it was certainly a scary idea to contemplate.
    Scary awesome! I'm all for free trade. The problem is that the kind of free trade they talk about isn't really free trade. Treaties like NAFTA and groups like WTO fight to get free trade for governments and corporations. That means that companies like Wal-Mart and governments like Mexico get all the benefits of free trade, yet people like you and me can not trade freely. Not only can we not trade freely, but our societies make it incredibly difficult for the average citizen to engage in any sort of international trade in the first place.
  • I agree, though. There should be some mechanism where certain judges can be given security clearance to review these matters "in camera." If they are valid secrets, then they can remain that way.
    This mechanism could always be rigged by the administration... It would just be another cushy job for a crony, who could rubber stamp any inquiry.
    Our economy and status as a superpower are at risk. If we are subjected to repeated terrorist attacks, I dare say that our economy would go into a nosedive.
    I think the biggest threat to our status as a superpower is corporations and individuals using our military as their personal mercenaries, while gouging our military budget at $6 a can of coke. Even so, I fail to see how would the individual American would benefit by having the biggest army.
    That means that companies like Wal-Mart and governments like Mexico get all the benefits of free trade, yet people like you and me can not trade freely.
    Yes! This is so true. I mean, think All of mp3. A legal foreign market for music, that is closed off (by propaganda?) to American consumers.
  • Our economy and status as a superpower are at risk. If we are subjected to repeated terrorist attacks, I dare say that our economy would go into a nosedive.
    While I won't dispute your point that terrorist attacks are not the best things for the economy, I also present that our country's overzealous response militarily under the auspices of "fighting terrorism" and "protecting freedom" haven't been too savvy for our economy either. While not necessarily something that effects our domestic economy, the faith of other countries in America as a reliable and worthwhile investment greatly effects our position in the global economy, which in the end come back to bite us in the ass. While we put ourselves into debt up to our eyeballs with military spending, other countries are begining to doubt (among other things) the continued stability of the American dollar as a currency and have preceeded to dump vast amounts of their reserves of American currency back into the open market. We've yet to really feel the long-reaching effects of the plummeting exchange rate here at home, but any real downward turn in our national currency can threaten turning into a downspiral of lost credibility on the world market, and eventually loss of major business on the international scene.
  • A weak dollar helps us sell "home-made" items abroad. It also boosts tourism dollars as the foreign currency (when traded for dollars) buys more.

A weak dollar does not help companies that manufacture abroad. That is one of the reasons the US kept pushing China to stop tying their currency to the dollar but to instead let it float and find it's own value.

A weak dollar helps home industry and hurts the multinational industries in our country. Why do you think so many foreign car companies now have auto plants in the USA???
  • Actually many foreign car companies have put auto plants in the US largely due to a massive restriction on foreign car imports instituted underneath Reagan. It was meant to help revive the then in danger (now endangered) American car manufacturers. As you can tell, it didn't come off quite as planned, but did manage to create a good number of manufacturing jobs in America. Also, avoiding hefty tariffs imposed on large imports like cars plays a big role in manufacturing within the target country.
    As for your other point- increasingly, America is indeed becoming a country of multinational companies. As manual (and some semi-skilled) labor is becoming uncompetetively expensive within the US, and many likewise jobs are being outsourced to more (excuse me if it sounds a bit cold) cost-effective countries, our national trade deficit skyrockets. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to have a primarily outsourced and service based economy, except when the national currency starts to fall, hurting, as you said, companies that manufacture abroad, which is quickly becoming more and more the norm.
    As for tourism, maybe we're stabbing ourselves in the foot with this TSA insanity. I might just as well opt out of coming to America if it meant avoiding that sort of mess.