This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Recommend some PS1 games

edited November 2009 in Video Games
Playing through some old PS1 games, does anyone have any suggestions?

Currently sitting in my ISO folder:

Abe's Odyssey
Abe's Exodus
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
G-Police
Omega Boost
Raystorm
R-Type Delta
Silent Bomber
Tombi
Tombi 2

I'm interested in the Parasite Eve series..

Comments

• Tenchu: Stealth Assassin
  • Pepsiman

/thread
  • edited November 2009
    Oh, if there's a series of games, could you recommend which one I should play to get an idea of the series.

Damn, I just switched from the Dualshock 2 to the Dualshock, the nipples on this thing are so much softer.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited November 2009
    MGS.

But seriously: Einhander.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Without being obvious:

Valkyrie Profile
    Vagrant Story
    Persona series
    Clock tower ( for lols)
    Silent hill 1
    Bushido Blade
    Symphony of the Night
    Parappa the Rapper
    There's this game I really enjoyed about a japanese family's life. I forgot the name but the game play was basically a bunch of hilarious minigames. I have this game but I still can't find it. It's in one of the ps1 cases. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?
  • @Mankoon: Incredible Crisis?
  • Mega Man Legends. Don't listen to Scrym, the game is so much fun.
  • edited November 2009
    @Mankoon: Incredible Crisis?
    YES! Thank you, Omnu! I <3 that game. Now I'm going to wreck everything to find it!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
    I've actually finished it, might have another play through.
    I've actually finished it, might have another play through.
    Try 2, then. From what I played of it before I had to return it (rental), it was a ton of fun.
  • Might also give The Misadventures of Tron Bonne a go.
  • Metal Gear Solid
    Resident Evil
    Winning Eleven 3
    Dragon Ball Legends
    Symphony of the Night
  • Symphony of the Night
    Only game you'll ever need.
  • I remember Crash Team Racing, Spyro and Spyro 2 being totally awesome. That might just be because I was ten years old when I had a PS1, though.
  • I always liked the Gradius ports and clones for the PS1
  • edited November 2009
    Günther already said Spyros, but forgot third one. They are all good (the PSone ones, later ones are crap). If you have time for only one Spyro game toss a coin between 2 and 3. I would say 2, but it's nostalgia talking.
    Spider-Man. Best Spider-Man game I have played. Actually only good Spider-Man game I'm played.
    Rayman. Good basic platforming.
    Grandia. J-rpg.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Definitely Symphony of the Night.
    Also seconding Mega Man Legends, so long as you're ok with the fact that it's closer to a Zelda game than a Mega Man game.
  • Twisted Metal Series. Good for a laugh or a need to destroy and drive.
  • edited November 2009
    Twisted Metal Series. Good for a laugh or a need to destroy and drive.
    Vigilante 8: Second Offense was another great PS1 car combat game.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Brave Fencer Musashi
  • Brave Fencer Musashi
    Seconded, and thirded somehow. This game is a forgotten gem. But screw the PS2 sequel.
  • edited November 2009
    Gran Turismo, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (1 is also good but 2 is the best in the series in my opinion), Sheep, Dog 'n Wolf and Medievil are the only ones I remember that haven't been named in the thread already.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Lunar and Lunar 2.
  • It is a flawed and unfinished game, but I love me some Xenogears. Also, Suikoden is one that I got recently and greatly enjoy.
  • I remember liking "project horned owl"
  • The Legend of Dragoon!!

It's one of those games that come out once every 5 years: There's nothing else like it, and there shouldn't be anything else like it.
  • Brave Fencer Musashi
    Fuck that game. When it makes you go through that tree level the second time? Yeah, I was so done with that game after that bullshit.
  • Brave Fencer Musashi
    Fuck that game. When it makes you go through that tree level the second time? Yeah, I was so done with that game after that bullshit.
    Really Adam? At least it isn't another stupid grind game that Squaresoft (it's publisher's name before Square-Enix) was so intent on putting out.
  • Brave
    Fourthed. 'twas an important part of the childhood of myself and and my brother, we still crack jokes related to the silly voice-acting and characters today.

Suikoden and Suikoden II, the latter especially, have some of my favorite writing in a J-RPG. Valkyrie Profile is seconded for the same reason.