This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Critique this?

edited November 2009 in Art!
I need some second opinions or help on creating a logo. I've been sketching and trying a lot of things in Photoshop for my comic site and studying logo design. Here's what I got:

One of them I'm presently using. It's the latest one. I still haven't pinpointed one. Thus the need for input.

Comments

• I like either the one with the stick figure, or the one that's on the second row from the bottom on the left.
  • I agree with Axel on the non-stick figure one.
  • The tree logos that I like the most are: the one on the up left and the two bottom left ones. Also in the bottom right the word sketch is nice,but don't really like how "Boxed" is done there.
  • I'm partial to the top-right and the left in the second-to-last row. The rest either look unnaturally stretched or squished, or one of the fonts looks too cheap.
  • The stick fig one looks cool, and I agree with Eryn that the fonts on most of them look cheap and tacky,

BTW Viga, I love the humour in your comic
    Bsketchxed? B-Sketch-xed? B(Sketch)xed?
  • edited November 2009
    1- Skewed letters and a graphic bigger than the actual letters themselves, both are to be avoided.

2- Seems you are giving emphasis to the box and not the letters themselves, they look like an afterthought and should be the important part.

3- Its ok to change the fonts for the different words, but know that when you do, they compete against each other, so not only is the BOXED in the box in bolder letters and bigger lengthwise, its also on top of the other word, so in context someone might just read BOXED and then sketch as a sub text perhaps referring to a section.

4- For the ones marked with the number four, you chose colors of similar brightness so the logos even though they have different colors, seem bland and boring, create a bit more contrast in your designs (the biggest offender is the last one) an easy way to check for this is simply to desaturate the whole thing as I did and check to see if it blends into a single block.

*Circled stuff- As with most script fonts, the designers should fill in those gaps in between the letters, remember, its all about details :)
    *Squiggly lines- Avoid tangents in your designs so that either stuff overlaps or its apart, not just barely touching.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Not that I know anything about it, but I like the upper left the most.

Could use more comic sans. ~_^
  • Could use more comic sans. ~_^
    Yeah, don't forget to make it blink as well.
  • [graphic design analysis]
    Very good stuff, I'll try to keep this in mind myself!
  • Wow, Mr. Roboto! You are a huge help! Do you do this for a living?
  • Wow, Mr. Roboto! You are a huge help! Do you do this for a living?
    Yes, but with no "formal training" just a lot of asking around, practice and book reading.
  • Amazing! Can you post some of your stuff here? Or maybe get a Deviant art?

So after reading your stuff and what everyone liked I made more. I brought back some of the logos to compare. So far I grown attached to the second right one.
    I agree with Eryn that the fonts on most of them look cheap and tacky.
    Yeah, I 'm using mostly free fonts.
    (image)
    Whoa! Nice, but it doesn't match the site's colors. Plus it reads as Bsketchxed? B-Sketch-xed? B(Sketch)xed?
    Could use more comic sans. ~_^
    Yeah, don't forget to make it blink as well.
    Flaming skull gif included. :P
  • This is developing nicely. When I was making my logo, a friend told me to stick with the same type for both words. He said that it looked more like a logo if you did that. I have to agree with him. In your newest image, I'm liking column 1 row 2, column 2 row 2 and column 2 row 3. I like where these are going. They could still use some polishing but they are the strongest.
  • Can I try?
  • I really like the new one, second row on the right. The only issue may be the "O" overlapping the box.
  • I have a DeviantArt account, but I haven't updated it since 2006 or so. As for work, I'm under contract and thus cannot post or refer to my paid work.