This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do I make this better?

edited November 2009 in Everything Else
So I found a way to make a podcast that would only need about 5-10 of original content, yet be able to run a half hour or more. A Music Podcast.

Since Jazz is one of my favorite genres, I thought I'd make a beta for a jazz podcast. It's very rough and I'll be working on some background music for when I'm talking, but please listen to it and give me your opinions.

Link.

Also, How is it I can't make polls? I've been on this board fucking long enough and everyone else seems to be able to make one.

I'd like to make one so we can vote on the name of the show. If you have an idea for the name or music suggestions, feel free to voice your opinions.

Comments

• Very good first run. The whole time I kept thinking of Cowboy Bebop's Music for Freelance CD. I do agree that you'd need some cool background music for the full effect.

The only real thing I noticed, that other podcasts also fail at, is that when you're doing a show by yourself, you really need to script out what you're going to say. Going off the cuff is fine when there are two or more people speaking, but for a single person, saying whatever comes to mind really only works if you're doing comedy. It doesn't come off as well for other genres.

With regard to that, I would suggest listening to an episode or two of A Life Well Wasted to get a better idea of how good single person podcasts should be done. It is not really one of my favorite podcasts, but it is highly regarded in the gaming scene, and the content is good.
  • I'm working on the background music right now and I'll make another episode tonight.
  • The only real thing I noticed, that other podcasts also fail at, is that when you're doing a show by yourself, you really need to script out what you're going to say. Going off the cuff is fine when there are two or more people speaking, but for a single person, saying whatever comes to mind really only works if you're doing comedy. It doesn't come off as well for other genres.
    I don't have a script for my solo-recorded podcast. and it works fine. What I DO use is a format...

For each topic (book) that I talk about (review) I have a set list of things I know I always want to at least mention. When thinking about the topic (which I typically do for a day after I've finished reading a book) I fix everything I want to say into one of those sub-headings, either by memory or I make a note of it.

I generally go:
    - why I read the book
    - the world (setting)
    - the plot
    - the characters
    - the science/tech
    - other bits
    - writing style
    - themes
    - conclusion

By touching all these points I can do a 30-50 minute episode on every novel I read. I don't stick hard and fast to the headings, as I usually talk about thematic ideas all the way through, and I don't try to spend equal time on each, as sometimes the setting is dull but the characters and themes are great, or the science/tech is really fun but the plot is weak sauce.

Anyway, my point is (that after not listening to your podcast) you should do something similar with the music tracks:
    - what
    - who made it
    - why you are playing it
    - why the listener should like it

You know, it'll all come together. You won't need to make any script, just follow the format.