This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows Media Center = WIN

edited November 2009 in Technology
So I'm in the new apartment, and I don't have a Mac mini or anything yet. This really sucks. If I want to watch Internet videos like Hulu, I have to watch on the monitor instead of my new TV. It also sucks because I can't use boxee to watch videos I download from the Internet.

Unbelievably, Microsoft came to the rescue. I actually tried to use the Windows Media Center extender on the XBox 360. Holy shit, it actually works. Even more unbelievably, the codecs work. It can play every video I've tried. All sorts of weird anime videos from bittorrents, all of them are playing just perfectly. I had to download one free update to make AAC/MPEG4 audio/video play. It worked perfectly. Even when an anime has soft-subs, they are on by default, and perfect.

I'm still going to need some way to watch Internet videos on the TV, but I'm thinking a Mac mini is not going to be necessary. I'm probably going to get some sort of Nvidia-ION based nettop down the line. All I need is a web browser, enough horsepower to play videos that play in the web browser, and boxee. Gimme the South Park, Crunchyroll, Collegehumor, Cinemassacre, and I'm all set. The XBox is handling the rest super awesomely.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have to assume that any of the videos that the XBox can play can also be played by Windows Media Center on my desktop. Windows 7 FTW? CCCP dead and useless?

Comments

• That's pretty amazing.
  • edited November 2009
    Is this part of Windows 7, or what's up?

EDIT: Oh man. Just found it in Vista Ultimate.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also, if you get cable TV, Windows Media Center can be a DVR.
  • edited November 2009
    You can also do this with the PS3, however I kept getting corrupted data when I tried to view anime or downloaded shows. I'm going to check this out with 360, if it works, success!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I wish I had known everything in this thread 3 days ago when I didn't have any homework.

Also, there are some plugins allowing you to build an on-screen library of ROMs that can be launched on your TV through the extender (and thus played with an Xbox controller, I'd assume). So screw my HDMI+laptop+TV solution, I'm just going to extend my laptop to my Xbox.
  • It's funny, because WMC came out in the early 00's and was initially a complete flop because it was heavily DRM'd, and MS hinted heavily wanting to charge monthly to have/use it at all. Additionally, while they said you could record shows like a DVR, it didn't function well and you couldn't rewind or fast forward. I think the Xbox really made them forget all those shenanigans by the sounds of it. Honestly, I'm as surprised as you are.
  • Dont forget that you can have Windows Media center access Hulu through a plugin.
    Trying it now. It will be useless if it doesn't transfer over to the XBox, though.

Also, it seems that this is using the Windows Media Center Extras functionality. It's basically the same as Boxee Apps. The difference is that Boxee has a ton of apps, and you can write them in Python IIRC. I have no idea how to write a windows Media Center Extender, and there aren't that many of them.
  • Hulu Extender transferred over to the XBOX! However, it doesn't work. Every time I try to use it the XBox loses connection with the PC.
  • Another hint: Only add your videos to the Videos library, not the Movies library. The movies library just crashes. I think it's only meant for evil Windows DRM type movies. Videos works just fine.
  • Hulu Extender transferred over to the XBOX! However, it doesn't work. Every time I try to use it the XBox loses connection with the PC.
    I think I know why that is. The extender minimizes Windows Media Center and opens the Hulu program. Since the Xbox doesn't have the program, and the PC program wont work on the XBOX, it wiggs out.
  • I love WMC. Right when I got on vista I spent a night playing with just that and it's what I use to watch DVDs.
  • Also, if you get cable TV, Windows Media Center can be a DVR.
    You can use the DVR stuff with a simple antenna & USB tuner. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to play around with and it works dandy recording over the air stuff in high def for a pretty low cost ($50). If you live in a major metro area you can get a bunch of TV on the cheap.
  • You can use the DVR stuff with a simple antenna & USB tuner. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to play around with and it works dandy recording over the air stuff in high def for a pretty low cost ($50). If you live in a major metro area you can get a bunch of TV on the cheap.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about an antenna just for the TV itself directly. The thing is, I can't put anything out the window, on the roof, etc. No protrusions are allowed. I have to get an antenna that picks up digital TV from inside the house.
  • I'm not sure how you figure CCCP is dead, but I'm glad that worked out well for you.
  • I'm not sure how you figure CCCP is dead, but I'm glad that worked out well for you.
    What do you need it for if the legit Windows Media Player plays everything?
    What do you need it for if the legit Windows Media Player plays everything?
    That's like saying VLC plays everything on linux, why would anyone use MPlayer. Or vice versa. Some people like things differently.
  • edited November 2009
    You can use the DVR stuff with a simple antenna & USB tuner. I bought one a couple of weeks ago to play around with and it works dandy recording over the air stuff in high def for a pretty low cost ($50). If you live in a major metro area you can get a bunch of TV on the cheap.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about an antenna just for the TV itself directly. The thing is, I can't put anything out the window, on the roof, etc. No protrusions are allowed. I have to get an antenna that picks up digital TV from inside the house.
    Since we live in the same metro area I'm going to list channel numbers... I get 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 & 13 with the small antenna that came in the box from inside my cinder block house. Nothing outside the house. The only major channel I can't get for some odd reason is 7 (ABC)

I'm using this tuner:
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html
    Post edited by VinceA on
  • Since we live in the same metro area I'm going to list channel numbers... I get 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 & 13 with the small antenna that came in the box from inside my cinder block house. Nothing outside the house. The only major channel I can't get for some odd reason is 7 (ABC)

I'm using this tuner:
    Looks good. I'll try it out when I have money again maybe.

The thing here is this. If I get some TV, be it cable or antenna, I'll want to DVR, but also want to do it live sometimes.

Why should I buy a separate DVR if my computer with WMC can be the DVR? I shouldn't.

However, my computer is on the other side of the room from the TV. If I put the antenna or cable near the computer I can get the DVR, but I won't get any live. If I put the antenna on the TV directly, I'll get live, but no DVR.

I really don't want to send more wires across the room. I already have a network cable going across the room. That should be able to handle everything.

What is the solution?
  • edited November 2009
    Since we live in the same metro area I'm going to list channel numbers... I get 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 & 13 with the small antenna that came in the box from inside my cinder block house. Nothing outside the house. The only major channel I can't get for some odd reason is 7 (ABC)

I'm using this tuner:
    Looks good. I'll try it out when I have money again maybe.

The thing here is this. If I get some TV, be it cable or antenna, I'll want to DVR, but also want to do it live sometimes.

Why should I buy a separate DVR if my computer with WMC can be the DVR? I shouldn't.

However, my computer is on the other side of the room from the TV. If I put the antenna or cable near the computer I can get the DVR, but I won't get any live. If I put the antenna on the TV directly, I'll get live, but no DVR.

I really don't want to send more wires across the room. I already have a network cable going across the room. That should be able to handle everything.

What is the solution?
    A splitter?

Edit: Just noticed you said no wires.

Double Edit: It looks like you can use VLC to stream the video to another computer from your TV tuner card, but I'm not sure about sending it to a TV over the network. I've seen little boxes with a simple Linux distro that let you share the TV across the house and also manage all of your media, so maybe one of those hooked up to your TV could share it to your computer for DVR-ing.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • A splitter?

Edit: Just noticed you said no wires.
    That or two antennae.

You have to make a compromise, TVs don't accept Cat 6.
  • I think this system was really designed for a situation where you have a house and the windows media center PC is on one TV and the XBox is on another TV. Because otherwise it's completely stupid to have a PC/DVR on your desk with cable/antenna coming into it and your TV so far away with yet another cable/antenna coming into it.
  • So for those using 360, how are you connected to the internet? Wired or wireless? I'm currently using the original Xbox wireless adapter, and I honestly don't have any problems with it. I saw this on Kotaku this morning and it has me wondering if it would be worth getting.

I sometimes get a moments during my Netflix streaming to where it freezes so it can change the quality of the video based upon the connection, but it's really not noticeable. My router is probably 50ft away from the 360, so I don't really see distance as a problem. I was only curious because of the quote from the article:
    With the official pictures, model number and the roll-out of more HD movies, I can't imagine this rumor isn't true.
    I have the 360 connected with an HDMI cable, so I don't think the quality would be any different using the new adapter. I probably won't be getting the new adapter, but was curious to hear what everyone else uses.
  • So for those using 360, how are you connected to the internet? Wired or wireless? I'm currently using the original Xbox wireless adapter, and I honestly don't have any problems with it. I sawthison Kotaku this morning and it has me wondering if it would be worth getting.
    The router is over by the TV, and the 360 is connected via a wire. The computer is on the opposite wall. The only thing going across the room is one ethernet cable, and I'd like to keep it that way.
  • edited November 2009
    Just saw this posted from Twitter:
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/26208

It's the TiVoPC package for $35 which includes the USB tuner I mentioned. You don't need to use the TiVo software at all. I bought the same package for $50 just to get the tuner. So, it might be worth it for you even to test/play with at that price point.
    Post edited by VinceA on
  • Just saw this posted from Twitter:
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/26208

It's the TiVoPC package for $35 which includes the USB tuner I mentioned. You don't need to use the TiVo software at all. I bought the same package for $50 just to get the tuner. So, it might be worth it for you even to test/play with at that price point.
    How does that help me get the TV from my computer over to the TV?
  • It doesn't. It's for getting TV content to the computer on the cheap. Still pondering the next link in the puzzle.
  • edited November 2009
    I had to download one free update to make AAC/MPEG4 audio/video play.
    Out of curiosity, what did you download? I'm finally trying to get this to work, but when I add the folder most of my videos are saved to, it doesn't recognize it the Video Library. It only recognizes the folder if I added it in the Movies Library.

Edit: Looks like it works when I copy the files to My Videos Folder. All the video files I want to watch are on a separate hard drive. It's odd however, because it recognizes the anime that is on the separate hard drive, but not the TV shows. *shrug*
    Post edited by Rochelle on