This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 091112 - Couches

edited November 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss couches, the kind you sit on.

Comments

• Not CouchDB?
  • Not CouchDB?
    Not Monday.
  • You know Geeknights is having a bumpy month when they make a show about a single type of furniture. You guys didn't even edit out Scott evaluating his pooping experience.
  • I immediately thought of that.
  • In the first bit you're talking about living options and I was thinking about my current situation. Single, large and awesome apartment, but I work away from home so much I don't see it as often as I'd like. Then, directly after the thing of the day music, you hit it dead on.

I'm thinking that I'm going to work loads and save up over the next two years, and get finished all the projects I want to do in Berlin. Then I'm going to buy a boat. A mother fucking boat. Where will I keep the boat? Anywhere I fucking like.

I work at sea (mostly) so why not live at sea? My clients always fly me from wherever I am to the ship, then back home or wherever I need to be next. But it doesn't matter where that place is. I work a lot in the Mediterranean, so I think I'd be based there all year. Once I buy the boat, the costs would come to about the same as monthly rent. Well, probably a bit more, but I'd be living on a boat.

Of course, I wouldn't see my friends in Berlin as much, but who wouldn't want to come visit me on my boat?

As yet this is just a dream, but if I plan it right it could all come together.
  • Oh, and I'll come to your Ted-X if you want...
  • My second cousin Nan lives on a house boat. She's the head of Red Cross foreign aid relief, and spends most of the time in the Maryland/D.C area, but she can take her boat wherever.
  • I reccomend Luke for spot at the FRC TEDx. I have no idea what he would talk about, but I'm sure he could come up with something. :P
  • What do you do for internets when you live on a boat?
    How do you juggle on a boat.

Also, coming to the TEDx would be awesome, but I don't know how your awesome juggling will fit in... At the bare minimum you could rock Connecticon. I'm sure we can justify you for TEDx, though.
  • When and where is this TEDx stuff going on?
  • When and where is this TEDx stuff going on?
    Connecticon '10
  • Ooh. I'll definitely be there.
    I think in a few years time internet on a boat will be minor problem to overcome. The world is becoming more and more connected all the time. I'm writing this message and posting from somewhere south of Portugal in the Atlantic ocean.
    I'd work it out so I do most of my juggling while working.
    I reccomend Luke for spot at the FRC TEDx. I have no idea what he would talk about, but I'm sure he could come up with something. :P
    I'm hoping to spend next summer in NYC, doing an apartment-swap via craigslist. It'll not cost me anything extra, as I'll get the flights paid for by work. I don't know when Connecticon is, or how far it is from NYC, but maybe I could make it. So it's not a totally out-there plan.

I think I made thread about doing a TED Talk, but I can't remember going back to check peoples answers. I have many things I could talk about, though juggling would be the most obvious choice. I know a few jugglers have done 40 minute slots at the real TED conferences, so it isn't unheard of.
  • I think in a few years time internet on a boat will be minor problem to overcome. The world is becoming more and more connected all the time. I'm writing this message and posting from somewhere south of Portugal in the Atlantic ocean.
    So there isn't currently an easy solution for internets on a houseboat? I wasn't trying to make a point, just asking a practical question.
  • edited November 2009
    Stand on the deck and have a lot of spare balls. That or go somewhere on the shore.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So there isn't currently an easy solution for internets on a houseboat? I wasn't trying to make a point, just asking a practical question.
    Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. However, no matter what the situation is now, it will have changed in two or three years time, and the change will only be moving in the "easier, cheaper, more effective" direction. I don't need to worry about it.
  • When I bought my 40" Samsung LCD for the bedroom I left it on Dynamic mode for about a month, even thought I knew it was a poor mode to use and in doing so I think I permanently messed up my eyes. Now I need lots of lights on in a room when I watch TV or play games. If I just use a lamp my eyes start to hurt after about 10 minutes.

I have one of the those calibration DVDs, but I never really got around to using it. Right now I use the "movie" mode (the darkest setting) and it works just fine for me.
  • DVDs by Pixar and Lucasrats (THX basically.) have calibration menus on them. DL.TV did a video on this you can find here.
  • ...and don't forget about the lighting in the room. Calibrate using the lighting that will be on when the TV is in use. Nothing would be worst than calibrating your TV in the day time with light coming in the windows when you actually do all your TV viewing at night with a lamp on in the room.
  • DVDs by Pixar and Lucasrats (THX basically.) have calibration menus on them. DL.TV dida video on this you can find here.
    Awesome, anyone want to give/lend me one? I'm not spending money right now.
    ...and don't forget about the lighting in the room. Calibrate using the lighting that will be on when the TV is in use. Nothing would be worst than calibrating your TV in the day time with light coming in the windows when you actually do all your TV viewing at night with a lamp on in the room.
    Well, some TVs have the ability to store multiple configs. So you can store multiple separate calibrations for different lighting situations. Otherwise, it's best to just calibrate for the darker movie-watching scenario. That's when you're going to care more about correct colors, and you can just deal with the slight inaccuracies if watching some regular old TV that matters a lot less. It will still be a hell of a lot better than not being calibrated at all.
  • I have the Ratatouille DVD. You could...watch it with me?

Or maybe I'll just forget to find the menu in the DVD and have to go search for another and another...
  • I have the Ratatouille DVD. You could...watch it with me?

Or maybe I'll just forget to find the menu in the DVD and have to go search for another and another...
    I see what you did there... good show.
  • I have tried calibrating DVDs before and the TV picture never looked absolutely correct. If you get totally tired of trying you can always hire an individual with ISF certification. They use a device called Spider hooked up to a computer to calibrate your TV. This was thrown in when I purchased my 52 inch TV last year. I have noticed a big difference from my calibrated TV and my DVD calibrated 32 inch TV.

As far as couches go Lazy Boy Demi style is well worth the money. The Demi is red and has a more modern style, not puffy like the old Lazy Boy couches. It is a very comfortable couch to sit on while watching TV for long periods of time. I was so comfortable I actually fell asleep with the remote in my hand.

If you want to add something to your movie watching or game play on your new TV you may want to considering buying a motion simulator called Buttkicker. It is a simply hookup to your sound system. Watching a action movie is very interesting with this device.