This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeknights iPhone app

edited November 2009 in Technology
Geeknights and Player one podcast are my two favorite podcasts and Player one just got a really nice little app.

The app does a few things, quick links to email, twitter feed etc.

But what I want to really talk about is that the app has ALL of their episodes right back to episode one, with detailed episode summary and all ready to stream instantly. Add to that, it will let you resume the podcast if you exit the app!

Guys, I want this SO BADLY for Geeknights!

Your back catalog is sickness! But like any good library, often you want to go back and check out a book or two.

Just finished watching Eva again thanks to you two, and had an urge to go back and listen to the Eva episode again, now that it's fresh in my mind. Oh, sure, I can search your website, maybe fire up tunes, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that an instantly streaming version on my iPhone would be gold.

And being able to browse the ENTIRE library when I have an hour to kill would be... it would be... *explodes*

Check it out. Steal it. Do it. Please. For the children. I beg you.

Comments

• Is the entire library actually on the app or is it just streaming? As in, do you need an internet connection to use it?
  • It's just a directory, it streams to the phone. So yeah, need a connection.

But the entire library is there, ready to go.
  • The only problem is that there are only a small few people willing to do this, and isn't the Dev kit about 5 grand or so?
  • There some company going around that is making iPhone apps for all the podcasts. Basically they made one app. Then they just reskin the app for different podcasts. They've done this for Anime Pulse as well as Comic Geek Speak. They then sell this simple reskinning for $2. Some of the money might go to the podcast, I don't know what the deal is, but this company is also taking a cut.

We here at GeekNights are professionals who don't put our names on half-assed reskinned shit. Really, there is no point in having a GeekNights app. We have RSS feeds and we have a web site. Go get a general purpose podcasting app like Google Listen for Android. A standalone app for GeekNights has almost no value.

What's sad is that the Anime Pulse app is actually on the staff picks. I don't know how the staff picks are selected, but someone at Apple is stupid.

Do not buy any of these apps made by whatever company it is. They are shit, and a waste of money.
  • Hold up. You mean that podcast apps like this aren't free? What the fuck is that shit?
  • Hold up. You mean that podcast apps like this aren't free? What the fuck is that shit?
    There's a company going around trying to make money. They made one podcast app. They just reskin this thing for any podcast that wants it. They then share money with the podcast somehow. They get a bunch of sales from the podcast readership, and the podcast gets some green. The listeners get a shitty useless and redundant iPhone app.

Unlike these other shit podcasts, GeekNights doesn't disrespect the listeners like that. I got an email from those dudes and ignored it.
  • I just don't understand why anyone would pay to listen to anything that's legally freely available anyway.
  • edited November 2009
    I just don't understand why anyone would pay to listen to anything that's legally freely available anyway.
    I doubt anyone thinks that they're getting exclusive content when they buy the app. They do it to support the podcast and have the convenience that the app gives.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Then why not just donate money directly to the podcast and skip the sleazy middleman?
  • No idea. I didn't make it or buy it. Lol.
  • Then why not just donate money directly to the podcast and skip the sleazy middleman?
    Because they don't realize it's sleazy. They get an e-mail that says "we will make you an iPhone app". Then they say OH MANS YES. Then somehow the app is a staff pick. People are stupid. GeekNights is not. That's why you listen to us, we hope. Pledge of allegiance kid wouldn't be fooled.
  • Pledge of allegiance kid wouldn't be fooled.
    Haha, that could be a good meme.
  • Well, the shitty app works just fine, supports a podcast that I like and gives me one touch, instant access to all their content.

If you had one, I would buy it to support you, and have that kind of instant access to your awesome podcast.

It is what it is, whatever.
  • Does it actually support the podcast?
  • Well, the shitty app works just fine, supports a podcast that I like and gives me one touch, instant access to all their content.

If you had one, I would buy it to support you, and have that kind of instant access to your awesome podcast.

It is what it is, whatever.
    If you want to support us, just visit our website on your phone. It works.
  • You have to admit. That was a pretty clever way to make a profit, even if it's sleazy and deceptive.
  • You have to admit. That was a pretty clever way to make a profit, even if it's sleazy and deceptive.
    So is reflexology.
  • So is reflexology.
    So is your Mom.
  • We here at GeekNights are professionals who don't put our names on half-assed reskinned shit
    I've been waiting for some small neat project to come along so I could try my hand at iPhone app development. I think I'll make a podcast app for Geeknights and call it "Half-Assed Reskinned Shit" or HARSh and sell it for $19.99.
  • I've found GeekNights on the MediaFly Application. But lately to get rid of the hassle, I just download the GeekNights podcast and upload it to my Palm Pre like a flash drive.

So go with either of those.
  • I've been waiting for some small neat project to come along so I could try my hand at iPhone app development. I think I'll make a podcast app for Geeknights and call it "Half-Assed Reskinned Shit" or HARSh and sell it for $19.99.
    Good luck with that. Objective C = nightmare.
  • -_^ I stream geeknights from frontrowcrew.com to my iPhone all the time. It's not hard. Why would people waste time creating an app that essentially turns four 'clicks' into two?

Oh, and because this method goes through mobileSafari, it keeps playing in the background while I use any other of my applications.
  • Can't the Ipod app on the iPhone handle urls?
  • Can't the Ipod app on the iPhone handle urls?
    No. However, if you use the iTunes app you can download episodes of GeekNights over wifi or the cellular network. However, there are limits on how large a file you can download over the cellular network using the iTunes app. However, if you use mobile Safari, you can get episodes of any size AFAIK, streaming.