This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IDShare 2.0 Beta

edited November 2009 in Forum Stuff
On November 14, 2009, in the land of no shit talking, something stirred.

Behold!

http://idshare.frontrowcrew.com

Right now it is ugly as sin, and there is currently no way to correct yourself if you make a mistake. That is next on the to-do list, so don't worry. Other than that, the basic functionality is there, and it's not really going to take that much work to polish it up.

Comments

• Also, this version of IDShare solves the problem of me needing to add anything. If you want to put in an ID for something that isn't in there, just do it. It will work. It's up to all of you to work out some naming standard. User categorization is on the to-do list also.
  • One bug already fixed. Please continue hammering.
  • Also on the to-do list is to make IDs clickable. So for example, clicking on someone's twitter name will go to their Twitter account.
  • edited November 2009
    I now have two "Real Name" values, one "Dimitri", one "Dimitri Klimenko" - do you think allowing multiple entries with the same key is acceptable?
    Also, there are now two different "Email" keys - "Email" and "E-mail". I realise I should have done the latter, but it does bring up the point that the key entry box should offer a selection of what other users have used.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So are you moving away from having the program integrated with Vanilla?
  • edited November 2009
    I suspect Vanilla would be too limited, and too much effort to mess around with. After all, this is just a very basic database, but I doubt it would be so easy with Vanilla.
  • I now have two "Real Name" values, one "Dimitri", one "Dimitri Klimenko" - do you think allowing multiple entries with the same key is acceptable?
    Also, there are now two different "Email" keys - "Email" and "E-mail". I realise I should have done the latter, but it does bring up the point that the key entry box should offer a selection of what other users have used.
    Yes, I know. I am going to add the option to edit and delete entries next.

Also, I do think people should be able to make multiple entries. What if I have three Twitter accounts, and want to share them all?
  • So are you moving away from having the program integrated with Vanilla?
    Yes, especially since I hope to upgrade to Vanilla 2 when it is ready.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    So are you moving away from having the program integrated with Vanilla?
    Yes, especially since I hope to upgrade to Vanilla 2 when it is ready.
    How is that looking by the way? When do you think would be the right time when Vanilla 2 gets to the point where it will be integrated with the forums?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I suspect Vanilla would be too limited, and too much effort to mess around with. After all, this is just a very basic database, but I doubt it would be so easy with Vanilla.
    How is that looking by the way? When do you think would be the right time when Vanilla 2 gets to the point where it will be integrated with the forums?
    Fix the attribution for that quote, Matt.
  • Fix the attribution for that quote, Matt.
    I'm pretty sure everyone knows Vanilla is being screwy by now.
  • I'm pretty sure everyone knows Vanilla is being screwy by now.
    That's irrelevant. No matter what the cause of the problem (and I continue to hold that it's user error), you're responsible for the attribution of the quotes in your post.
  • Question:

Let's say you go to the page that lists all Facebook IDs. Do you want to see your own Facebook ID on that page, or only other people's? Should I maybe display yours, but put it separate from the list of everyone elses?
  • Question:

Let's say you go to the page that lists all Facebook IDs. Do you want to see your own Facebook ID on that page, or only other people's? Should I maybe display yours, but put it separate from the list of everyone elses?
    I would like that it shows your name in there somewhere, it could be separated, but I don't mind it being there in the middle of other peoples stuff. It's good thing to keep ones own ID showing too, because you might be going through different ID;s and you might notice that your name is not on some list where you would have account, but just haven't remembered to put it in IDShare, thus it can remind people to putt new stuff in.
  • You can now delete IDs, editing will come soonish. Just go to your own page of IDs and you will know what to do.
  • edited November 2009
    I got an "I AM ERROR" message.
    How? By trying to make a duplicate of an already-existing key with a dash instead of a space (or vice versa), from noting that your keys work in lowercase with dashes instead of spaces.

Also, once a category has no keys, it should be removed.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    I got an "I AM ERROR" message.
    I don't think you see the very clever humor that Scrym placed in that message as well.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'm pretty sure he does.
  • Actually, I looked it up, and no, I did not know the original source of that phrase. Regardless of the source, it is still amusing in and of itself, however.
  • I got an "I AM ERROR" message.
    How? By trying to make a duplicate of an already-existing key with a dash instead of a space (or vice versa), from noting that your keys work in lowercase with dashes instead of spaces.

Also, once a category has no keys, it should be removed.
    Perfect, I know exactly how to fix it.
  • Ok, that particular I AM ERROR is fixed. Also, if there is a key, and everyone deletes their IDs on that key, the key will be deleted.

After a few more features are added I'm going to go open source. Anybody want to help me out, you will be more than welcome.
  • edited November 2009
    Perfect, I know exactly how to fix it.
    Indeed, it was fairly obvious that, given your approach, you should simply consider the keys "real name" and "real-name" equivalent.
  • Indeed, it was fairly obvious that, given your approach, you should simply consider the keys "real name" and "real-name" equivalent.
    Yeah it was an issue of slugs. You have to slugify any names in order to make them work in URLs. That means turning spaces into hyphens and making everything lowercase. That means that "E-mail" and "E Mail" generate the same slug which makes the database unhappy because the slugs all have to be unique.

Also, you now have the ability to edit your existing data.
  • Also, you now have the ability to edit your existing data.
    But what if someone makes a typo and, say, misspells Twitter as Twiter? Currently, we can't edit the name of the service, just its value.

Also: If I look at the list of Skype keys and I see an IDShare username I'm interested in, I should be able to click on their name and see the user's page. Is it safe to assume that this will be implemented at the same time as this?:
    Also on the to-do list is to make IDs clickable. So for example, clicking on someone's twitter name will go to their Twitter account.
    I know that you could simply hit the back button and view the user's page, but that's kinda clunky.

Also: there should be a link to the IDShare homepage from each user's page and each service's page.
  • Also: If I look at the list ofSkype keysand I see an IDShare username I'm interested in, I should be able to click on their name and see the user's page. Is it safe to assume that this will be implemented at the same time as this?:
    Oh yeah, I had that on my list, but I forgot. It will actually take just a few seconds to setup.
    Also: there should be a link to the IDShare homepage from each user's page and each service's page.
    Ok.
  • Should I change the link at the top of the forum to go to the new IDShare, or should I keep the old one there until the new one is better? You guys decide when I should make the switching.
  • Keep it there until the new one is better.
  • Navigating should be much easier now.
    Keep it there until the new one is better.
    You need to tell me when that is.
    But what if someone makes a typo and, say, misspells Twitter as Twiter? Currently, we can't edit the name of the service, just its value.
    This isn't really an edit if you change the key, It's a delete followed by a create. Regardless, I will change the user interface to hide that fact, and make editing easier for people.

Also, feel free to tell me what feature/bug to work on next. Otherwise, I'm just going to continue to do the lowest-hanging fruit. Your encouragement can help defeat shit-talking.
  • Actually, I'm full of shit. I hadn't seen the updates from the past two days. The way it works now is just as good as the old system, if not better because each value has a link. I think you could get away with changing the link at the top now.
  • Now I can delete all those pesky items in my forum profiles and link to just one page! Ahh, the freedom!