This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Converting RGB to CMYK

edited November 2009 in Art!
Hey artistic types,

I need an absolutely free way to convert an RGB image to CMYK for printing. I don't have access tp Photoshop or anything like that. The RGB->CMYK plugin for GIMP doesn't install, and I've tried it on both Windows and Linux. Pretty much all the guides I'm finding on Google require me to have Photoshop. I figure that with all the artist/computer combo types we have here, someone aught to know of a program I can use.

Comments

• Hey artistic types,

I need an absolutely free way to convert an RGB image to CMYK for printing. I don't have access tp Photoshop or anything like that. The RGB->CMYK plugin for GIMP doesn't install, and I've tried it on both Windows and Linux. Pretty much all the guides I'm finding on Google require me to have Photoshop. I figure that with all the artist/computer combo types we have here, someone aught to know of a program I can use.
    Photoshop. Seriously, we've had this same problem as well.
  • ImageMagick can apparently do it, but you'll probably have to fuss a bit with color profiles and stuff. I can't help you with that, because I've never done color work for print. You can download Adobe's profiles here.
  • edited November 2009
    Aw shoot. I mean, I can download the trial for now, but that doesn't solve my problem long-term. I don't want to pirate it for fear of viruses.
    ImageMagickcan apparently do it, but you'll probably have to fuss a bit with color profiles and stuff. I can't help you with that, because I've never done color work for print. You can download Adobe's profileshere.
    I doubt that I would know what to do either. Thanks, though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Aw shoot. I mean, I can download the trial for now, but that doesn't solve my problem long-term. I don't want to pirate it for fear of viruses.
    This is why Adobe has the world by the balls. Nobody else has this sort of stuff that people actually need.
  • edited November 2009
    Actually, here's a free way to convert to CMYK -- send it to me, and I'll do it.

EDIT: Actually, that doesn't really solve your long-term problem either, and you can always download the free trial. Offer stands, though.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited November 2009
    That would be swell.

Link

I'll just have to deal with this on a case-by-case basis. It shouldn't be that hard to find other people with Photoshop. The main reason that I even have to send this off to a printer is because it's in greyscale. My home printer, which is semi-professional because my mom prints stationary, is awesome with color but ain't so hot with the shades of grey. I'm thinking that greyscale album covers are going to be relatively rare, so I should be good for the most part.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • A) That's 72dpi, if you are doing work with a lithography or a professional digital print-shop work at least at 250dpi for B&W and 300dpi for full color.
    B) It's B&W, so the difference is going to be minimal between CMYK and RGB.
    C) If you are using a digital printer (even if it has a CMYK cartridge) again the difference will be minimal and either way, its so cheap, you can afford to print a test page then tweak the colors in RGB.
    D) You are basically printing white on white on the "Rite" part.
    E) I'd edit out the dude on the pole to the right.

CMYK is really for lithography, silkscreen or any other analog printing method or when you are dealing with corporate things such as logos, that must have a really specific color to it, so you print in CMYK + Pantone, and I'm sorry to say, that since Adobe bought macromedia, you only have 2 options now, Adobe or Corel.
  • edited November 2009
    Funfetus gave me the rundown on a lot of that stuff through whisper, but thanks! The company I'm using outlined in their requirements that they wanted CMYK, so I sent them and email the other night about how much difference it would really make and now I'm just waiting for a reply.

Also, I totally didn't notice the guy on the pole! LMAO! Anyway, it's not my artwork so I'm not editing anything out.
    Post edited by Sail on