This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Okay, I'm going for it.

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
I announced this on a geekchat a week or so ago, but now I'll formally announce it here.

Many of you know it's my goal to have my own radio show where people can call in and ask me their computer questions. Well, I've decided to be a bit more proactive with that dream.

By Mid-January/February, my college campus will have a new radio station; Radio KEEG ("geek" backwards) on the AM band. I wish it could be FM, but I would need a license for that. I tried asking the FCC for one, but the guy effectively told me "Fuck off, We don't want any more stations." Anyways, I'm recruiting friends who are in the journalism department who want their own shows and I've asked them to find businesses or individuals to sponsor their show so they can buy good quality microphones and headphones, as well as to help purchase the transmitters.

I am also looking for podcasters who would like to donate their content to help fill airtime. So here's lookin at you, Rym, Scott, Luke, Viga, Thaed, and anyone else on the forum who has a podcast.

EDIT: I told one of my journalism teachers about it and her reaction was, effectively, "Fuck Yeah! Awesome! C'mere, I know some people you should get in touch with!"
My reaction was, effectively, "Fuck Yeah, You're awesome!"

Comments

• If it's non-commercial (which a college station would presumably be) you can use CC-AT-NC stuff like GeekNights and TWiT.
  • Good luck sir. I used to work in computer repair and there were many days I struggled to suppress the urge to stab incompetent people.
  • If it's non-commercial (which a college station would presumably be) you can use CC-AT-NC stuff like GeekNights and TWiT.
    I know, I just want to get permission and let em know first, rather than just doing it. Think of it as a courtesy.
  • I've discussed with My co-host from The Radio show, Max, and while the show's future is uncertain, We'll be taking it out online as a podcast if we do, and you'd be free to use it, and failing that, I've got a music show in the pipe.
  • I can't remember the exact license number, but my podcast is Creative Commons - Attribution - Commercial. That means even if you want to make money out of playing it or distributing it, you can! I mean, if anyone ever works out how to make money out of my podcasts, they deserve any money they make. Take my podcasts and do with them what you will.
  • Yeah, the non-commercial restriction is basically just a display of envy.
  • Hey, more power to you. Good luck to you, I hope the best. Wouldn't the podcast thing be hard though, since you could only cover current topics? Or would you have to always do a warning that "This _____ was made in ______."
  • Sound awesome. Feel free to use any of my stuff.

I like the name of the station. KEEG!