This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Marksmanship

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
With all this gun-related talk today, it seems that more than a few of you are involved with some sort of marksman-like hobby. Not just sport shooting and paintball, but things like knife-throwing and archery too.

I've had it in the back of my mind to pick up a slingshot for a little while now. I used to do airsoft and one of my favorite thing was just to shoot at targets in my friend's backyard. I'd pick it up again, but my pump-action sawed-off shotgun looks just a *little* too threatening to be messing with on a suburban front lawn. I messed around with one this summer and it was pretty fun, and I think may be a suitable replacement for the kind of targeting practice I desire.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I'm really interested in air rifle, trap and skeet, and small game hunting; however, I just don't have the time/resources for them. I plan on buying an air rifle once I have an apartment though, and maybe hooking up with the trap and skeet club here when I get the chance.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I shoot archery, but I need to get my arrows re-tipped. Most of the target tips have come off in the targets, so I currently have fletched sticks and a pile of detached tips instead of arrows.

Can't shoot right now anyway, since I have all this crap going on with my shoulders and nerves.
  • Archery, skeet, knives and axe throwing, rifle, blowing the crap out of half rotten veggies, laser tag... etc

I'd practice spear fishing if it was more practical.
    I've though about getting into air soft.

@Nuri: Get better arrows.
  • I'm a reasonably competent marksman, but lately, I don't have the ability to practice over here so much, maybe once every few months.
  • I'd practice spear fishing if it was more practical.
    Lrn2scuba.
  • I'd practice spear fishing if it was more practical.
    I have friends who have spent weekends on Catalina island where they just went spearfishing for their meals every day. It really just depends on how temperate your climate is, I guess.
  • @Wyatt: I have to use wooden arrows for SCA shooting, so I have limited choice. I can't just get some sweet-ass carbon fiber arrows with tips that don't come off.
  • I used to go shooting, but I don't know of anyone who goes to a range nearby, and I don't own a gun. I suppose I'm going to finally get myself a Mosin when I find a reputable gun shop here. I'd like to go hunting some time, but I don't know anyone who hunts here, nor do I know someone who guts/etc carcasses. If I kill a dear, you better be damn sure I'm going to utilize as much of the animal as physically and legally possible.