This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dear God, please confirm what I already believe

edited December 2009 in Flamewars
"People may use religious agents as a moral compass, forming impressions and making decisions based on what they presume God as the ultimate moral authority would believe or want," the team write. "The central feature of a compass, however, is that it points north no matter what direction a person is facing. This research suggests that, unlike an actual compass, inferences about God's beliefs may instead point people further in whatever direction they are already facing."
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18216-dear-god-please-confirm-what-i-already-believe.html

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Yo, Axel, where you at?

This is actually pretty interesting. I'm curious as to what this means for theists who believe in a god but don't know which god is the "correct" one.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Really, I never knew.............. That explains why there are so many versions of Christianity and god wants me to have more then 20 wives ;-p
  • I was taught that God has set beliefs in all categories and that he is omnipotent and all knowing. However this study defuses all the "God wanted me to do it" and "the devil made me do it" arguments.

@ Cremlian: more than 7 is a waste... one for each day of the week...
  • This article confirmed what I already believed. No God needed!
  • Really, I never knew.............. That explains why there are so many versions of Christianity and god wants me to have more then 20 wives ;-p
    You specifically?