This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• TOTAL RECALL IS SO GOOD.

Why haven't I just watched it every day forever?!?
    I was surprised by how good the remake came out. There were also several nods to the original movie in the new movie.

I think the new version also did a better job of making the viewer wonder if it was real or recall.

• As I understand, there is no Mars in the new movie. If nobody is getting their ass to Mars, what's the point? You got a lot of nerve showing your face around here with that opinion. Consider this a divorce! Why don't you get to the reactor, and I'll see you at the party!
  • As I understand, there is no Mars in the new movie. If nobody is getting their ass to Mars, what's the point? You got a lot of nerve showing your face around here with that opinion. Consider this a divorce! Why don't you get to the reactor, and I'll see you at the party!
    Nope, no Mars. Instead their is a gravity elevator between London and Australia. There was a world war and those are the only two habitable regions left.

• edited June 2013
    Which makes things REALLY weird, considering the antipode of London is a spot very roughly a thousand miles and change off the south-east coast of New Zealand, and pretty much every Australian antipode is in the middle of the Atlantic.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The elevator doesn't go straight through the molten core of the planet. It gets close and there is a brief period of weightlessness when the elevator is near the mid point of the drop. I don't remember exactly what happens at the mid point but occupants are sitting right side up at both ends of the run.
  • edited June 2013
    The interior rotates to go with the change of gravity. I'm thinking back to some graphics earlier in the movie that show the tunnel, they show that Australia and England are antipodes.

I think the movie is closer in feel to the original story("We can remember it for you wholesale") while drawing a lot of elements from the original movie - a good blend of the two, really. I'll be honest, the original movie was fun, but it wasn't fun because it was a good movie, it's schlocky 80's action movie fun. I think overall, I like the slightly more serious 2012 version, rather than the 80s version, even though they're both enjoyable movies - they're just enjoyable for different reasons.

Edit - Also, to be fair to both movies, We can remember it for you wholesale would make a pretty short, shite movie if you made it as faithfully as possible.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2013
    Am I the only one who finds it weird that Ant-Man is getting his own film in the Marvel cinematic universe. I guess all the big guns (no pun intended) were already used and Ant-Man is one of the few characters Marvel still has the movie rights to and is somewhat of a major player in their universe.

Also made me wonder, who has the movie rights to Daredevil now, and when do they expire? Both the Daredevil and the Elektra film were hardly successful and I don't think Regency really has interest in producing any more films with those characters. However, I also don't think anybody in that company wants to be the person who signed away the rights and another Daredevil film by another company becomes a blockbuster.

I also wonder if Ms. Marvel is next in line. She is probably Marvels biggest female character who isn't either on the X-Men or a member of Spider-Man's supporting cast. Plus she is mostly associated with the Avengers themselves. Or maybe after Catwoman and Elektra flopped horrendously people in Hollywood are gun-shy of making a superhero film with a female protagonist.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • FOX had them for a while, but it was confirmed earlier this year that they'd reverted back to Marvel Films/Disney.
  • edited June 2013
    FOX had them for a while, but it was confirmed earlier this year that they'd reverted back to Marvel Films/Disney.
    You are correct. Punisher, Blade and Ghost Rider too.

While I'd prefer the last two not to be incorporated into the MCU, I think Daredevil could make sense as an Avenger, and I could also see a Daredevil vs. Punisher movie work out. Overall, Ant-Man is however more interesting to me because I know pretty little about the character.

There's still the possibility of a Dr. Strange film though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • On Monday I watched 2001 again, after watching it during a flight a month or two again. It's way better in the non pan-and-scan version. Waaaay better. It was Juliane's first time watching it, and she liked it up until "To infinity, and beyond!" Then she was confused about what happened, and took things a bit too literally. Give her a few days to think about it and I'm sure she'll be fine.

Today we watched Dumbo. It's really good, and in parts super racist.
  • edited June 2013
    Saw Man of Steel, better than i expected but...
    Spoiler:
    Man, I wish this movie wasn't so dreary. No humor, mountains of gray CGI, and any feelings between Superman and Lois were not earned.

Lots of destruction, but Superman never really seemed to notice all the citizens in danger because of it. He never tried to move the fighting somewhere else.

The beginning of the movie, (the flashback section) felt rushed. They never gave you a chance to care about the people he saved.

I liked Henry Cavill more than the last guy but still didn't buy any of his anguish they kept trying to sell. (Except for one scene at the very end, which was a big WTF scene for a Superman movie.)

Did I mention the mountains of gray CGI?
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • GANGSTER SQUAD

I really dug it. It felt like an 80s action movie set in the 40s. The dialog and the archetypes gave it a sort of unreal feeling I was really digging, it was darkly clever in a lot of places (Alright boys, you know the drill...) and even though I knew who would live and who would die the moment the gangster squad was assembled, it didn't matter because the journey was a blast.
  • Dragon (Wu Xia) is the best kung-fu film I've seen in a long time. I think it's better than Ip Man in most regards.
  • Saw Man of Steel, better than i expected but...
    Spoiler:
    Man, I wish this movie wasn't so dreary. No humor, mountains of gray CGI, and any feelings between Superman and Lois were not earned.

Lots of destruction, but Superman never really seemed to notice all the citizens in danger because of it. He never tried to move the fighting somewhere else.

The beginning of the movie, (the flashback section) felt rushed. They never gave you a chance to care about the people he saved.

I liked Henry Cavill more than the last guy but still didn't buy any of his anguish they kept trying to sell. (Except for one scene at the very end, which was a big WTF scene for a Superman movie.)

Did I mention the mountains of gray CGI?
    My favorite comment about Man of Steel came from my friend who said it was shot like a Terrance Malik film.

I thought the whole thing was pretty meh. It could have used some levity with humor. I didn't like the low saturated look of the film. I hated the jumping around of the first 3rd. The spent the middle begging for excitement and then got a bunch of explosions at the end, but that didn't even interest me.

But I'm kinda biased since I've always been more of a batfan.

• Whisper of the Heart. Like other Studio Ghibli, it's very good.
  • edited June 2013
    I watched Man of Steel with my son on Friday and I agree with basically everything 2bfree or Viga have said. There was not much development of characters and as such it was hard to care what happened to any of them. The only character that seemed worthy of care may have been Zod based about how they handled his race and even then it was only for a brief moment.

How each of the powers Kryptonian's manifested while on Earth was not fully explained but as it was obvious the atmosphere played a large role terraforming seemed like a ridiculous idea. Maybe the transition to Earth's atmosphere would be unpleasant but the rewards are more than worth it.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • So if it was the atmosphere, can Superman still breathe in space?
  • The problem with Man of Steel is that the bar was set very, very high by the Batman films. It was a good "Superman movie" but not a great "film," if you will.
  • On the other hand, the bar was set very low by the previous Superman movie. Does it at least top that?
  • Yeah, by leaps and bounds. I went to go see it because a good friend is a Superman fanatic, but I would personally recommend waiting for the DVD and reading All-Star Superman instead.
  • edited June 2013
    He still seems to not require breathing while in space, like in the comics.
    His invulnerability seems to be tied to Earth's atmosphere so my guess is as long as he has experience that he no longer needs to breath, like the comics.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Whenever I think of kryptonite I always think of the superman movie with Richard Pryor where he substituted tar for the unknown element of kryptonite.
  • There was a Superman movie without Richard Pryor?
  • I wonder how Equestria Girls went down, I'm not in the US, so waiting for the internet uploads sooner or later :P
  • I wonder how Equestria Girls went down, I'm not in the US, so waiting for the internet uploads sooner or later :P
    I'm surprised there's not a camrip already. Either way, I'm gonna wait for the release. Better quality.
  • Yeah, by leaps and bounds. I went to go see it because a good friend is a Superman fanatic, but I would personally recommend waiting for the DVD and reading All-Star Superman instead.
    I saw it with a friend who didn't see any flaws in the flick and didn't know the origin story. Upon further discussion she said she really doesn't see flaws in any thing she likes just allot of good and bad. So I didn't get the post movie talk I was hoping for.

I liked it as a whole but had some issues with superman himself and the dissonance between what Jor- El was preaching and the tone of the rest of the movie. I did like how it had the action that Superman Returns lacked.
  • edited June 2013
    So my new favorite bad movie, Miami Connection, has just hit Netflix I implore that anyone watch it. It was made in 1987 and rediscovered last year by Drafthouse Film starring Taekwondo Expert Y.K. Kim. The synopsis is easy: The band Dragon Sound is a group of 5 Taekwondo/College Students that have to defend their lives in Florida from a biker gang and drug-dealing ninjas.

It has such great moments of hilarity with terrible acting, random violence, 10-second scenes, lots of unintentional comedy and some of the most catchy, awful songs. I won't spoil it to you, but you should get into it within the first 10 minutes.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Has anyone seen the new Simon Pegg movie?
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2013
    For my intensive filmmaking course tonight, we watched Modern Times. I hadn't seen many Charlie Chaplin stuff before this (I saw The Kid and a few other things), but this was laugh out loud funny and I laughed both heartily and often. My favorite part is the Tramp being tested on the automatic feeding machine. If you need a good laugh, this will not fail.
    Post edited by Geo on