This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas

edited January 2010 in Anime
So I started watching this anime about 3 months ago. The 2 episodes are being released every 2 months, and so far they are doing a really fantastic job adapting the manga. I gotta say that at the beggining I was a little adamant of starting this if only because I am a fan of the classic Saint Seiya animation from the 80s. I was also afraid to give it a watch since it lacked the classical/ 80s rock that it was characterisitc of the classical series.
However, I ended up liking it a lot. Also, it does not take a lot of time to catch up since there are only 8 episodes so far.
The plot is simple enough: "Hades wants to Kill his sister Athena. But, Tenma (Pegasus) is BFF of both of them and he doesn't want to fight against his step brother!"
What I like about this series is that Athena is not the damsel in distress (like in the classic series) but actually a really strong character. I also enjoy that each character is important for the overal narrative and you get to care about each of them even though most of secondary characters only appear for one or two episodes.
If you are afraid of long over dragged fighting scenes then you do not have to worry since most of them had to be cut for the OAV format.
This first season of OAVs is suppose to be 12 episodes long and will cover until the Fall of Sanctuary (I think). The opening is in english but it grows on you.

Comments

• Do you need to see the original series to watch this, or is it stand-alone? I'm only about 45 episodes in with the original.
  • Nope, you do not need to see the classic series to enjoy this one. Funny note aside, I consider really interesting how this guy became a super Saint Seiya fan by reviewing the awesome Myth Cloths from Bandai :P
    Here is one of his reviews