This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Selling my car

edited January 2010 in Everything Else
I think I'm going to sell my car. It is very sad because I paid off the entire loan, and I own it completely. I also really really like the car, and there is nothing wrong with it, except one dent that I can probably hammer out. I would like to keep it, but I think it is stupid if I do.

Because I am in the city now, the car is just a liability. Even though I completely own it, I have to still pay for registration, maintenance, insurance, gas, and other costs. Also, I either have to pay for parking with money ($125/month), or I can pay for parking with work (constantly moving it around to different places to avoid tickets).

I do not need to use the car again until... ever? I don't need it to go to work, or the grocery, or pretty much anywhere. I could use it to go to my parent's house, or to conventions, but public transportation is more than sufficient. If I wanted to go skiing like Rym, the car would be useful, but I don't. If I wanted to go somewhere like the beach, the car would be useful, but that is a rare occurrence, so I can save money with an alternate means, even if it's renting a car.

So if you're in the NY city area, and you want a 2006 Mazda 3 5-door, call me up. It has two sets of wheels and two sets of tires (snow and not snow). It's in perfect condition except for one dent, which can be fixed easily. It needs a wash and vacuum. It has NY PH33R license plates, that I sadly have to give up if I sell the car. It has iPod/iPhone integration that I installed. It also has a CD changer and working moon/sun roof (don't know the difference). I'm going to ask about $10->11k for it. I need some bank account padding to make it worth it.

Also, even if you don't want the car, I need some advice on how to sell a car. I doubt I just trade the keys for money. What kind of paperwork is involved? Also, I assume it's standard practice to ask for cash/certified check/money order?

Also, if I sell the car now, I can buy a new one when they look like this

If they had that at the dealer now, I would trade in for it tomorrow.

Comments

• NY PH33R license plates,
    Damn.
  • I would consider it if it was stick shift. I personally have no interest in an automatic.
  • I would consider it if it was stick shift. I personally have no interest in an automatic.
    I'm buying an auto when I get to LA, but It's an australian car, and I can source the parts much easier than most Americans(Ie, Just have my mate Nick, A mechanic, Slip off down to the junkyard and pick something up)
    Its tiptronic. Best of both worlds.
  • Its tiptronic. Best of both worlds.
    Technically no: "tiptronic" is a Porsche trademark.
    Ok sure. Unobtanium is an Oakley trademark.

You can shift gears manually sans-clutch pedal if you so choose. You can also just let the automatic take over.
  • edited January 2010
    Its tiptronic. Best of both worlds.
    Ok sure. Unobtanium is an Oakley trademark.

You can shift gears manually sans-clutch pedal if you so choose. You can also just let the automatic take over.
    Ahh, the flappy paddle gearbox: Either you love it or you hate it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ahh, the flappy paddle gearbox: Either you love it or you hate it.
    Oh, I don't mind it. I just can't afford a car with it, or afford to have it put into any of my Vehicles, and I'm not even sure I could have it put into the bike even if I could afford it.
    No, it's not, it's slow and annoying. Even the mighty VW DSG gearbox, widely regarded as the best of all the road going paddle shifts, was slow in my opinion.

I should say there's nothing wrong with the automatic in the Mazda 3, I just prefer cars with 3 pedals.

So Scott, is it a 2.0 or a 2.3?
  • So Scott, is it a 2.0 or a 2.3?
    I was about to say "Nah, it's a 75 falcon XB v6 turbo" but then I realised you meant Scott-Prime.
  • So Scott, is it a 2.0 or a 2.3?
    All 5-doors are 2.3. Also, it comes in copper red. That was a special color that was only available that year on that model. I've seen a lot of my car driving around, but never one the same color.
  • What about the maintenance of the car? When was the oil changed? Have the belts ever been changed? When is the timing belt due? When was the transmission fluid last changed? Any repairs you've had to do?
  • What about the maintenance of the car? When was the oil changed? Have the belts ever been changed? When is the timing belt due? When was the transmission fluid last changed? Any repairs you've had to do?
    Never repaired it. I changed the oil according to schedule. Belts have never been changed. Transmission fluid never changed. I'm pretty sure it has a timing chain, not a timing belt, so it's not "due".
  • Never repaired it. I changed the oil according to schedule. Belts have never been changed. Transmission fluid never changed. I'm pretty sure it has a timing chain, not a timing belt, so it's not "due".
    Tyres, how new are they? Last rotated? Spare?
  • Tyres, how new are they?
    We don't use tyres in the US. We use tires. USA! USA!
  • What color is the little pine air freshener?
  • What color is the little pine air freshener?
    Do you have a novelty Gear-knob? Little Skull with light up eyes? Eightball?
  • Tyres, how new are they? Last rotated? Spare?
    I already said I have two sets of wheels and two sets of tires. I think this is the third season for the snow tires, and the second season for the other set. The ones that came with the car were shit.
    What color is the little pine air freshener?
    Do you have a novelty Gear-knob? Little Skull with light up eyes? Eightball?
    The only thing is some fuzzy mario dice, but I'm keeping those.
  • Also, even if you don't want the car, I need some advice on how to sell a car. I doubt I just trade the keys for money. What kind of paperwork is involved? Also, I assume it's standard practice to ask for cash/certified check/money order?
    Did you even bother using Google/DMV/common sense? Cash or check is most common, you have to sign over the car papers and possibly something more depending on how the hell the states want it done. The other thing you can do is let that dent be repaired, instead of doing it yourself or leaving it there. Also clean the car yourself, make it look like it just came from the showroom. Also, give actual information (as you can see with all the questions) and have a perfect service history.

Also, that pictured Toyota interior is ugly as fuck.
  • Mileage?

Get the car tuned up and detailed before you sell it.
  • We don't use tyres in the US. We use tires. ??! ??!
    How that looks in my head..
  • edited January 2010
    Did you even bother using Google/DMV/common sense? Cash or check is most common, you have to sign over the car papers and possibly something more depending on how the hell the states want it done. The other thing you can do is let that dent be repaired, instead of doing it yourself or leaving it there. Also clean the car yourself, make it look like it just came from the showroom. Also, give actual information (as you can see with all the questions) and have a perfect service history.
    Says the man who doesn't drive and has never bought a car. But, Points in your favor, It would have been a good idea a put in a touch of research on the topic - Though, back home, all that's required is that you get the money by your preferred method, and then sign over the registration officially, which is just a bit of paperwork, and a trip to the DOT/DMV - I imagine it can't be terribly different in the US.

Also, that pictured Toyota interior is ugly as fuck.
    I believe the technical term is "Concept car".
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I imagine it can't be terribly different in the US.
    The trick with the US is it varies (sometimes wildly) from state to state.
  • Says the man who doesn't drive
    I drive whenever my dad needs an extra driver. I don't need a car myself, ergo, I'm not going to waste the money to buy one and then waste money on tax, gasDiesel and insurance. I don't really see how not driving or not owning a car would keep one from having common knowledge, like the basics of selling a car. Make it look good, make sure it is good, and then get money for signing over the car papers. It's not terribly hard.
    I believe the technical term is "Concept car".
    That would explain it. Wasn't clear from Apreche's post though.
    The trick with the US is it varies (sometimes wildly) from state to state.
    I suspected such. The individual states just want to be their own countries with a sugar daddy.
  • edited January 2010
    The individual states just want to be their own countries with a sugar daddy.
    That about sums it up. Cars are easy though, it's gun ownership that will confuse the hell out of you.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I drive whenever my dad needs an extra driver. I don't need a car myself, ergo, I'm not going to waste the money to buy one and then waste money on tax,gasDieseland insurance. I don't really see how not driving or not owning a car would keep one from having common knowledge, like the basics of selling a car. Make it look good, make sure it is good, and then get money for signing over the car papers. It's not terribly hard.
    I thought you didn't have a licence, I was mistaken.
    That would explain it. Wasn't clear from Apreche's post though.
    That's because I was making a joke.
    Cars are easy though, it's gun ownership that will confuse the hell out of you.
    Eh, As long as I know what California law has to say, I'm easy.
  • I thought you didn't have a licence, I was mistaken.
    Ah, that you were. Heck, even my little brother has his license now.
  • Without knowing the miles, it's tough to tell if you are in the right price range. One problem is that a city car is less desireable. City miles are much tougher on a car.

The big problem with selling a car is that it is a total pain in the neck. There is quite a bit of time involved, and you have to have a certain level of trust in the purchaser. I've seen forged bank checks that looked incredibly real, right down to the security features. And keep in mind, just because funds become "available" does not mean that the check has "cleared". I would seriously considering holding the title until the check clears. The other problem is that if the car has anything wrong with it in the next couple of months, expect to be getting a phone call. People don't understand what "sold as-is" means.

My one recommendation would be to set a firm price. This way, you will only have serious purchasers taking up your time. There are plenty of people out there looking to lowball a seller. You want to avoid tying up your time with them.
  • Without knowing the miles, it's tough to tell if you are in the right price range. One problem is that a city car is less desireable. City miles are much tougher on a car.
    Oh, it's got around 45k miles on it. Even though the car is presently in the city, it actually mostly has highway miles from the time I was commuting to the middle of nowhere, and from convention trips.
  • edited January 2010
    While we know that's true, why should a buyer believe it? What matters most is where it is physically located. I can't say that I would blame a buyer for being skeptical. The only known fact is its current location. Everything else is speculation to a buyer.

If you've got service records from a suburban location, that's a big help. It is understandable that someone would want to sell a car when they move into the city. You just need something more than your word to demonstrate this.
    Post edited by Kilarney on