This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All White Basketball League: "Not racist."

edited January 2010 in Flamewars
T9R_AzXLKcw

Is there a market for an all-Caucasian basketball league? Would you watch Snow-ball Vs. Bro-ball? What the hell kind of nickname is "Moose", anyway?

Comments

• It's all about going "the nostalgia way, like how things used to be." You know, like when blacks couldn't play sports with whites!
  • Wouldn't an any race leauge with a skill cap be a better idea? or something like college basketball?
  • Wouldn't an any race leauge with a skill cap be a better idea? or something like college basketball?
    I've always thought weight classes in a lot of sports would make them much better -- I'm sure you'd get vastly better football and basketball games if you limited the players to, say, 200 pounds. In fighting sports, heavyweight fights are usually awful -- the best fights are between the little guys. I think most other sports would work the same way. I don't think it's reasonable to try to implement that, of course.

But it's beside the point. This guy's a just a racist.
  • Basketball is bad. Racist basketball is probably worse.
  • I'll take overt racism over covert any day.
  • I'll take overt racism over covert any day.
    Yep.

This is something I've been really observing lately. Overt racism is largely gone from our culture. Almost no one will admit to straight-up hating people of other races. It's kind of more insidious, because it's harder to see. People will talk about how black people are lazy, or Asians can't drive, or whatever bullshit, and they don't think they're racist, because "some of my best friends are black!" Like this guy. He doesn't hateblack people. It's just that whites "have better fundamentals" because they don't have the "natural athleticism" that black people do. But it's "not a racial thing".
  • edited January 2010
    At least it's obvious with this guy, though.
    Also, the video link goes to some financial advice BS for me. Try this instead:
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The Rachel Maddow Show did a segment on this tonight, and the background music they used was House of Pain's "Jump Around." Fucking brilliant.
  • It'll be interesting to see 1) if any mayors decide to allow one of these teams to be organized in their town and 2) if any of those that do get reelected next year.
  • It'll be interesting to see 1) if any mayors decide to allow one of these teams to be organized in their town and 2) if any of those that do get reelected next year.
    You haven't been to the south, have you? Before I left for DC I was told by one of my dad's friends, "now go find a girl, but don't bring a nigger back." All I could do was laugh and agree.
  • Any organization that automatically rejects members based solely on race is racist. They may not have malicious intent, but they are discriminating based on race.
  • Everyone's a little bit racist, sometimes.......nah this is just racist.

What is extremely telling is he is talking about "The Good old days" which to me sounds a lot like "when those black people couldn't play".
  • edited January 2010
    In the dude's defense it seems his issue is more their behavior than the fact that they're black. He's just incorrectly attributing this behavior to all black people.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • In the dude's defense it seems his issue is more their behavior than the fact that they're black. He's just incorrectly attributing this behavior to all black people.
    Or he's using this attribution to cover up his bias.
  • In the dude's defense it seems his issue is more their behavior than the fact that they're black. He's just incorrectly attributing this behavior to all black people.
    Or he's using this attribution to cover up his bias.
    yeah, or he's just racist.
  • He's just incorrectly attributing this behavior to all black people.
    Um, definition of racism. There's no "or" about it.