This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coverage/Thoughts of the Apple "Tablet?" Event

Comments

• Please list the apps. You don't need to list all of them, just 2001 to prove you are no full of shit.
    Here's 1428 for starters.
  • edited February 2010
    Please list the apps. You don't need to list all of them, just 2001 to prove you are no full of shit.
    Here's 1428 for starters.
    OK. I'll call your bluff, let's go through them one by one while you scrounge up the remaining 573 apps.

1) When did you last use acpi-support?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited February 2010
    1) When did you last use acpi-support?
    Uh constantly? Even using Ubuntu in VirtualBox I usually tell VirtualBox to send an ACPI shutdown to the virtual machine, which because of acpi-support will shutdown normally and safely instead of just turning off instantly. I also often put my computer in S3 sleep. So if you want to know the answer to when, the answer is less than an hour ago.

If you want to catch one I'm not using, you're probably better off searching for something I don't use rather than going in order.

Here's 3 freebies:

ppp install
    pppconfig install
    pppoeconf install

I don't have DSL, and I don't use my dial-up modem, so I never use ppp. However, my laptop does have a modem in it. Having ppp installed is good just incase there is some sort of emergency and I need to connect my laptop with old school dial-up. Also, ppp is necessary if I were ever to get one of those 3G modems.

Haha, maybe they weren't freebies after all. Keep looking!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2010
    If you want to catch one I'm not using, you're probably better off searching for something I don't use rather than going in order.
    Oh, I've got time.

2) When have you last used acpid

How's that list of 573 other apps coming along? (Btw, I'm already highly anticipating number 4) aisleriot, since you don't really seem like a solitaire kind of guy.)
  • 2) When have you last used acpid
    acpid is always running, and goes right along with acpi-support. Kernelspace vs. userspace.

Yeah, I've never played aisleriot. Until just now! Does that count?
  • edited February 2010
    Yeah, I've never played aisleriot. Until just now! Does that count?
    I just realized that this is either going to end by you admitting to not using "thousands" of apps, or me effectively making you use every single utility that comes with ubuntu....

Aaaah, nothing beats lazy Sunday evenings with nothing to do but argue on the interwebs.

EDIT: Wait! Actually, anything beats that.
  • edited February 2010
    Timo, and especially Apreche, You're forgetting one thing. The iPod, iPhone, and iPad only have the most limited multitasking, Mostly Between Apple Apps and the occasional 3rd party that interacts with them, and there are no background settings or running gear that the user really interacts with. For Scott to meet Timo's challenge and it not be useless apples to oranges comparison, each application must be a distinct application (Ie, Firefox is valid, but firefox plugins are not), and Must be something the user interacts with directly and uses directly, rather than being part of the running gear of the OS or applications (Ie, Steam and Bioshock are valid examples, but, say, Direct-X isn't.)

Otherwise, your comparison is useless. It's like saying Scott is winning Because he has More Dollars, but 3/4 of them are in fact Canadian Tyre dollars, rather than being useful currency in anything but the most limited sense.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Why on earth would I want to jailbreak it?
    The fact that the app store has thousands of apps, and you are only using three I think says it all. If people could make any app they wanted, there would be a lot more than three you would be using.
    Here's what I want to, and do, use my iPhone to accomplish:
    1. Listen to music, podcasts, and other audio. Functionality built in.
    2. Read ebooks. I downloaded Stanza.
    3. Have my calendar and contacts ready to read and modify on the move. Built in.
    4. An alarm clock, timer, stopwatch and world time. This is all built in.
    5. Emails on the move. Built in.
    6. Facebook and Twitter updating and reading on the move. These are downloaded apps two and three.
    7. Take notes. This is built in.
    8. Check things on the internet. Built in.
    9. Take photos of things. The camera is built in.
    10. Sometimes I need to make a phone call. This is also built in.

Now I know, due to the 150,000 apps (or whatever) in the app store, I could be doing many, many, many more things on my iPhone. But every time I hear about new iPhone software, I ask myself "Are you really going to use that?" and the answer is invariably "Probably not." This way I save myself lots of time and money. Just about all the functionality added is stuff I can already do on my laptop, and in a lot more comfort. There are things I WANT to do on the move, and things I really don't want to do.

And if I could make any app I wanted, for any platform, I wouldn't be a juggler. I'd be a computer programmer like you. But I'm not. So for now I'll stick with the built in functionality, plus three apps.
  • And if I could make any app I wanted, for any platform, I wouldn't be a juggler. I'd be a computer programmer like you.
    Sure, but Scott's point is that there are a lot of people who are.
  • 1) When did you last use acpi-support?
    I used it last night, actually. My old Ubuntu box has trouble with ACPI, and I disabled it to test something. Basically, it causes a system hang if certain events take place, and I was trying to copy data off of the machine. =P
  • I used it last night, actually. My old Ubuntu box has trouble with ACPI, and I disabled it to test something. Basically, it causes a system hang if certain events take place, and I was trying to copy data off of the machine. =P
    That's because you're using a wicked old Ubuntu.
  • That's because you're using a wicked old Ubuntu.
    Or because it's just not fully compatible like mine?
  • That's because you're using a wicked old Ubuntu.
    Yeap. Once I migrate all of my data off, the box is being rebuilt entirely by Emily. Dual-boot Windows 7 and the newest Ubuntu.
  • Wow. For once there is a fight that has nothing to do with me.
  • Hah! We have plenty of fights around here. We're basically Fight Club.
  • We're basically Fight Club.
    This is kinda eerily true.
  • We're basically Fight Club.
    What the fuck?

What is the first rule of Fight Club? It's the first one!
  • Ah, but no-one will suspect us now that the rule has been broken.
  • It's the first one!
    And the second.
  • It's more like Argue Club. If this is your first day at Argue Club, you have to argue!
  • It's more like Argue Club. If this is your first day at Argue Club, you have to argue!
    I Disagree.
  • That ought to be an official forum rule, except change it to "debate" to encourage intelligent discussions.
  • edited February 2010
    That ought to be an official forum rule, except change it to "debate" to encourage intelligent discussions.
    *one month after rule is ratified*

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2010
    I'm finding it too difficult to decide if the pictured outcome would be good or bad.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm finding it to difficult to decide if the pictured outcome would be good or bad.
    Strangely enough, me too.
  • edited February 2010
    Oops, I was missing an "o" from the "too".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Getting back to the topic at hand, this.
  • Honestly, if someone were to give me an iPad, I would likely hang it on the wall in my nook and use it as a small jukebox.
  • Honestly, if someone were to give me an iPad, I would likely hang it on the wall in my nook and use it as a small jukebox.
    See, that's why I want a tablet. But there's cheaper ways!
  • Getting back to the topic at hand,this.
    That would be what did it for me, but I still can't justify that cost to myself.