This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The "Bitch About Award Ceremonies" thread

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
Posted By: Kate MonsterThe Oscars, like many movie awards, come down to whichever studios put the most money into lobbying for the votes. In my eyes, the prestige is negligible since it is just a way to publicize films and increase DVD sales. One of the graduate film classes I took was a Film Speakers class. Twice a week an industry person (writer, director, actor, editor, publicist, lawyer, etc.) came in and talked about what they worked on and allowed students to take questions for about three hours. A topic that came up with relative frequency was the various awards they won. One of the marketing professionals (iirc he helped to market Amelie in the States among other things) discussed in depth how the various major awards worked. Viewings and DVD sales go up quite a bit when a major award is attached to a film. The Oscars is the holy grail of this and, according to him, one of the easiest to manipulate since it works a bit like a caucus. He said no other single advertisement tactic brings in the kind of revenue that the Oscars can because it not only bring instant attention, but it will be sought after for quite some time because people will specifically seek out "Oscar Award Winners".
The long and the short of it is, that I really couldn't care less about the Oscars. However, if anyone else does, they can certainly feel free to pay attention to this giant hype fest.
Posted By: RoI think the only thing I get out of the Oscars are the titles of the lesser known films onto my own radar of movies I should think about watching. If you win, good for you. If you don't win, oh well, you're still making money regardless.

Other than that, the whole thing is just a waste of time to me. Plus, I got rid of my cable a month or two ago. Best decision I've made in regards to Comcast.
Posted By: Kate MonsterPosted By: JasonKate: I gave Lisa the same rant this past weekend about the Grammys. It's a prime-time advertisement wrapped in the illusion of integrity and pomp.
Solidarity! ^_^
EDIT: Also, if I hear one more person ask "Who are you wearing?" I will flip-the-fuck-out! It isn't clever word play and no one really cares about the answer.

Comments

• They're boring and I don't really care about anything they acknowledge. The awards are fairly meaningless in this day and age.

/thread
  • edited February 2010
    WTF?
    Let Geo have his thread.

I think that awards based on public voting would hold a lot more meaning than these awards like the Oscars and Grammys that are based on the opinion/bias of a board of members. At least that kind of award has quantifiable meaning, as in "you were the most popular actress this year" or "the most people liked your film this year". No matter how shallow, that kind of thing means something to a director or actress.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • WTF?
    Ditto.
  • Yea, I think it's kinda crappy to crap on someone's thread "Hey lets pick oscar winners" and then say "Oscar's suck screw you guys."
  • All awards ceremonies are basically the same as the basic high school assembly, at least for the attendees. ^_~
  • edited February 2010
    Yea, I think it's kinda crappy to crap on someone's thread "Hey lets pick oscar winners" and then say "Oscar's suck screw you guys."
    Exactly. As much as you guys are sore about "tailoring" to Geo's "needs", I agree with him in this scenario. You're only bogging down the thread for people who simply want to discuss the movies they liked most this year.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2010
    Yea, I think it's kinda crappy to crap on someone's thread "Hey lets pick oscar winners" and then say "Oscar's suck screw you guys."
    Exactly. As much as you guys are sore about "tailoring" to Geo's "needs", I agree with him in this scenario. You're only bogging down the thread for people who simply want to discuss the movies they liked most this year.
    Crap on someone's thread? No one owns a thread. WTF? There are many, many threads that start out with one intent, but people take it many directions. Seriously, this is kindergarten bullshit.

EDIT: Also, there are a number of threads regarding movies people like. No comments that were made in the previous thread in anyway hinder that. You made a pointless, redundant thread.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited February 2010
    No one owns a thread.
    Kate, this is an internet forum, not a revolution.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Kate, this is an internet forum, not a revolution.
    If that is how you took my statement, then you don't understand what I am getting at.
  • Fuck "Bitching about Awards Ceremonies." That's just an excuse to whine like little babies about unimportant advertising revenue circuses. In the grand scheme of things, we draw more attention to award ceremonies by bitching about them, guaranteeing more free publicity for an industry's product. A good friend of mine in the bitching industry once explained all of this to me. There are more important things to bitch about that need more attention, like unjust wars, HIV/AIDS, breast cancer, and African genocides.
  • edited February 2010
    If that is how you took my statement, then you don't understand what I am getting at.
    Look again.

Here's something that is not joking: You're blowing this situation epically out of proportion. This is not a big deal.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2010
    Look again.
    What-the-fuck-ever.
    EDIT:
    I think that awards based on public voting would hold a lot more meaning than these awards like the Oscars and Grammys that are based on the opinion/bias of a board of members. At least that kind of award has quantifiable meaning, as in "you were the most popular actress this year" or "the most people liked your film this year". No matter how shallow, that kind of thing means something to a director or actress.
    I don't think this would make much difference. The masses would vote for well known, popular films and actors.
  • I think that awards based on public voting would hold a lot more meaning than these awards like the Oscars and Grammys that are based on the opinion/bias of a board of members. At least that kind of award has quantifiable meaning, as in "you were the most popular actress this year" or "the most people liked your film this year". No matter how shallow, that kind of thing means something to a director or actress.
    I don't think this would make much difference. The masses would vote for well known, popular films and actors.
    That's what I'm saying. It would at least come from the people who watch the movies rather than make them. Maybe it wouldn't solve much, but it's a broken system to begin with, so at least being able to say "the most people liked your movie from this year" has a quantifiable achievement attached to it.
  • There's nothing wrong with compartmentalizing discussions, especially on an Internet forum whose primary purpose is to categorize and document discussions.

I won't be satisfied until there is a heavy metal awards ceremony called the Kill-a-Grammies. It works on so many levels!
  • edited February 2010
    I won't be satisfied until there is a heavy metal awards ceremony called the Kill-a-Grammies. It works on so many levels!
    If they can make a whole award ceremony based around something as narrow as country music, this is completely doable.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If they can make a whole award ceremony based around something as narrow as country music, this is completely doable.
    On the contrary, it's probably way easier to judge songs from a genre in which every song sounds like the same person wrote it.
  • I used to really care about the Oscars back in the 90s but then I stopped since the musical acts stopped being fun. Now I only care for three categories, "Best Movie", "Best Foreign Film", and "Best Documentary".
  • That's what I'm saying. It would at least come from the people who watch the movies rather than make them. Maybe it wouldn't solve much, but it's a broken system to begin with, so at least being able to say "the most people liked your movie from this year" has a quantifiable achievement attached to it.
    Popularity and quality are not necessarily the same. Matter of fact, I think there's some sort of a Latin phrase about it... ad pop something or other.
  • That's what I'm saying. It would at least come from the people who watch the movies rather than make them. Maybe it wouldn't solve much, but it's a broken system to begin with, so at least being able to say "the most people liked your movie from this year" has a quantifiable achievement attached to it.
    Popularity and quality are not necessarily the same. Matter of fact, I think there's some sort of a Latin phrase about it...ad popsomething or other.
    Again, that's the point. Quality is not quantifiable. Popularity is.
    Popularity and quality are not necessarily the same. Matter of fact, I think there's some sort of a Latin phrase about it...ad popsomething or other.
    Again, that's the point. Quality is not quantifiable. Popularity is.
    So is bribe size.
  • So is bribe size.
    Not publicly.
  • Kate Monster, I will refer you to this forum rule:
    Only moderators are responsible for enforcing the rules of the forum. If you are not a moderator, you should not take it upon yourself to inform other users of their forum-related transgressions.

The entire rule is posted in a sticky on the front page.
  • edited February 2010
    Kate Monster, I will refer you to this forum rule:
    Only moderators are responsible for enforcing the rules of the forum. If you are not a moderator, you should not take it upon yourself to inform other users of their forum-related transgressions.

I didn't say they were breaking a rule, I was saying it was redundant and instigated by whining about someone discussing various aspects of the topic at hand. The demand to create a new thread seems more like attempting to dictate than the other way around. Regardless, we now have two Oscar related threads and I don't really give a crap.
  • edited February 2010
    OMG, the irony, it burns.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Only moderators are responsible for enforcing the rules of the forum. If you are not a moderator, you should not take it upon yourself to inform other users of their forum-related transgressions.
    OMG, the irony, it burns.
    The recursive nature of the rule is what makes it so elegant.
  • Kate Monster, I will refer you to this forum rule:

Kilarney,

Thankyou.
  • This thread is my thing of the day.
  • edited February 2010
    I didn't comment whatsoever on the rule, nor did I comment on Kate's behavior. Merely quoting a rule, devoid of any additional comment, does not equate to an afirmative step to "enforce" the rule.

If you read the post, you will see that it is impossible to know what my position was on this matter. You may attempt to infer my position, but that's all you can do.

Trust me, I had thought of the irony. Thus my carefully crafted post. I was also careful to avoid responding to Kate's defense.

Sorry to disappoint, but no irony here. If anything, it was a lesson on how perceptive I am. I caught the issue well before anyone else. I was surprised it took as long as it did for someone else to pick up on it.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I wish I could say that much, I was just taking the piss.