This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PS3 Questions for the Forums

edited August 2006 in Everything Else
So with the constant string of bad news coming from Sony about their "wonderful" new game system, I have some questions for everyone here one the Forums:

1) Are you planning on buying one at launch (if you can get it)?
2) If you are deciding to wait, at what price would the PS3 (fully loaded) be attractive?
3) Anyone give a shit about Blue Ray?
4) PS3 or Wii?
5) In your opinion, why can't Sony seem to get their act together?

Comments

• 1) No.
    2) $350 if fully loaded.
    3) Smells like Betamax to me. I have no desire to get involved in the Hi-def war until the winner is determined. Therefore, the fact that it has Blue Ray is of no consequence to me.
    4) If I can sample the controller before buying, the Wii.
    5) Because they are used to being the 800 lb. gorilla. "Build it and they will come." Other companies have been forced to be innovative because they were not the #1 seller. This is why other companies are coming out with some great products. Also, Microsoft is benefiting by being the first to the starting gate for next-gen consoles. That is a big advantage. Most people aren't willing to wait a year for slightly better performance.
  • 1) No.
    2) $350 if fully loaded.
    3) Smells like Betamax to me. I have no desire to get involved in the Hi-def war until the winner is determined. Therefore, the fact that it has Blue Ray is of no consequence to me.
    4) If I can sample the controller before buying, the Wii.
    5) Because they are used to being the 800 lb. gorilla. "Build it and they will come." Other companies have been forced to be innovative because they were not the #1 seller. This is why other companies are coming out with some great products. Also, Microsoft is benefiting by being the first to the starting gate for next-gen consoles. That is a big advantage. Most people aren't willing to wait a year forslightlybetter performance.
    I agreed completely.
  • 1)No
    2)Well I'm saving up for a new computer and a trip overseas so it would have to be very cheap, but I've got an original Xbox so if I was going to get a next gen console it would be stupid of me to change brands. Everything gaming related is more expensive here (a 360 is $600 or so and games are $90) so the price I would be willing to pay is living in a happy fantasy land with my unicorn called Rainbow.
    3)Nope, I don't care about either, one technology will win and one will lose. When the battle is concluded I will purchase the winner.
    4)Wii! The time I will buy it is the moment a game where I can use the conrtroller as a lightsaber.
    5)Who knows, maybe the people running the company don't talk to actual people.
  • 1: Nope
    2: Less than $300 for sure. I don't even have a PS2 yet so I'll probably take the opportunity of the PS3 comming out to pick that up.
    3: It had potential and 6 months ago I would have thought it would win for sure but Sony has screwed it so badly that it doesn't stand a chance against HDDVD anymore.
    4: Wii the day it comes out. OMG.
    5: Market leader complacency was a factor to be sure but their role as content creator has forced their hardware manufacturing side to make horrible concessions in the name of protecting their properties. They believe they're able to do no wrong, and this delusion has paved the way for some of the worst blunders in hardware proeduction in recent years.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2006

Ha! Hahaha!

2) If you are deciding to wait, at what price would the PS3 (fully loaded) be attractive?

It would have to cost less than the Wii for me to even consider it.

Blu-Ray has all the trappings of a technological abortion.

4) PS3 or Wii?

Even if the PS3 were free, I'd probably still plunk down for the Wii.

Sony needs to drop its intellectual property arm. They do nothing but sabotage Sony's technology business by forcing terrible DRM and bad policy down their throats. Imagine what kinds of hardware Sony could make if there were no internal competing interests.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • So with the constant string of bad news coming from Sony about their "wonderful" new game system, I have some questions for everyone here one the Forums:

Gods no.
    This all depends on what games are available for the PS3 and what year it is. The more games I'm interested in playing that are PS3 exclusive, the more I'm willing to pay. Also, if it's earlier in the lifetime of the PS3, I'm willing to pay more because I'm going to get more out of the system in terms of future releases. All told, with the information we have now Sony would have to change the price to $200 for me to buy a PS3 at launch. Even then, I would be buying it just for the awesome Linux-running hardware. There are exactly 0 PS3 games currently announced that I have nay interest in.
    Maybe if I had an HD-TV I might care a little. But the DRM-ness of the technology is very off-putting. Really I think it's the end times for optical storage of digital media. Now is the time of downloading movies and music.
    4) PS3 or Wii?
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiii!
    I think Sony's problem is that they've gotten lazy. They take for granted that their brand name will sell whatever products they put on the market. They also think that if they put out the biggest most powerful piece of hardware, people will buy it. And lastly, Sony is a Japanese company. In Japan the PS3 is going to make them some moneys because of the throngs of RPG players. I mean, that shit is so popular over their that you aren't allowed to release new RPGs on school days. The reason SONY is not going to make it is because they've completely failed the PR game this time around.
  • Another thing with Sony is that they might not care. They've got people like my 80-year-old great uncle who go into the Sony store and get convinced by the salesman to buy a bunch of shit he doesn't need, say an MP3 player for a man who owns about 3 CDs, or a digital camera printer thing when he has a brand new laptop, and a brand new printer. Maybe there are enough dumb people in the world who will buy this shit?
  • 1) Are you planning on buying one at launch (if you can get it)?
    No, it's way too expensive.

Somewhere between $350 and $400

I don't even know what it is

4) PS3 or Wii?
    Wii, it's less expensive and looks like it will be more fun anyway.

I think it's just overconfidence. Sony thinks that they rule the world since they did so well with the Playstation and PS2 that no matter what they do, people will buy their product. Though with the Wii being so reasonably priced, and some good titles available for launch, they'll have a good chance this time around.
  • To answer my own questions:

Fuck no. I'm sorry but that amount of money is a little less than a months rent for me. God Damn.

$350 or less. I got lucky and was able to get my 360 for $200 even (thank you trade-ins). A PS3 for $350 is even high for all the DRM we will have to deal with.

I really couldn't care less. DVD will be replaced with something. Then I am going to have to purchase Eva AGAIN (but at least it will only be maybe three discs). Seriously though, HD-DVD and BR are so horribly DRM'd that neither of them will be around for long. People must smarter than myself will crack it, and create something awesome.

4) PS3 or Wii?
    Wii Wii Wii all the way home bitches. I can't wait to get a hold of Nintendo's Wii. Both my fiance and I will be able to play with that little Wii long into the night. Much fun will be had with the Wii. Let us hope that the third party developers get interested in it and create something of much awesome.

A) They are arrogant
    B) Their DRM
    C) They aren't listening to what people really want
    D) All of the above.

It is really sad. They really are the Jack Thompson of Video Game companies.
  • edited August 2006
    I don't even know what it is
    Wiki on Blue Ray
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • Wii all the way!

I heard it's selling for about 19,000 yen in Japan which works out to about $170...

so, will the Wii be

a) $199
    b) $169
    c) $149
  • edited August 2006
    Oh hells no.

Same price as the 360.

Not a bit. I refuse to believe that the difference between DVD and HDDVD/Blue-ray will be noticeable (like the gulf between VHS and DVD), and the prospects of being able to buy movies I already have, well, suck. The only thing that makes Blue-ray attractive in the slightest is the potential for 25GB backup disks. It would be really nice to be able to make copies of my whole music collection without using 12 DVDs... That said, hearing rumors that Blue-ray discs burned on a PC won't work in a Blue-ray TV player makes that whole thing ring sour too.

4) PS3 or Wii?
    Xbox 360 + Wii is the combination for me. The only thing that the PS3 can offer that the Xbox 360 can't is games from Japanese developers, and despite what Microsoft will say, there will be plenty of those. The Icos, Shadows of the Colossi, Katamaris, Metal Gear Solids, Final Fantasies and the like simply won't show up on the 360. Sony has a very impressive set of first- and second-party developers, but I see no reason not to wait a couple/few years for those titles to materialize before picking up the console. My prediction is that the PS3 will be great system to pick up late in its lifecycle, just like the PS2 is a wonderful purchase this Christmas once you'll be able to get a slim system for a hundred bucks. The reason I'm going to go with the 360 for my "next-gen" (ie. completely traditional) console experience is that Microsoft has been actively testing their system (ie. Xbox Live, XBLA, XBLM, etc.) for a long time now. Sony will be trying to do all the same things, all for free and all at once. It's going to be a cockup of epic proportions.

Everyone's pretty much nailed it. Sony (or at least divisions of Sony) is convinced that they know what their customers want better than their customers do and that shit ain't gonna fly no more, so to speak. If they can suck it up and give in to market forces that are pushing for more open devices that let people play around and do things their way, Sony could bounce back in a big way. Things like not sabotaging computers with heinous rootkits, or giving PSP users the ability to run their own code without having to find security holes in Grand Theft Auto would be great starts. All it would really take is the acceptance that piracy happens, you can't stop it, so buck up and start offering things that are good enough to make people WANT to pay for it.
    Post edited by crowe on
  • All it would really take is the acceptance that piracy happens, you can't stop it, so buck up and start offering things that are good enough to make people WANT to pay for it.
    I have to say that this is most likely the only way to really curb piracy. You will never stop it, you have to deal with it in a human thoughtful way. Not a totalitarianistic way.
  • edited August 2006
    Engadget's podcast, released yesterday, mentioned that you can get a Wii and a bare-bones Xbox 360 for less than the price of a new PS3. That can't be good for Sony. They are predicting that the Wii will be just under $250 - but we shall see. I definitely can't imagine it being any higher than $250. It's definitely got less under the hood than the Xbox or PS3.

I bet a ton of people who have already purchased an Xbox can justify a new Wii, but can't justify a new PS3. What's bodes well for the Wii is that it is not at all redundant to either the Xbox or PS3.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Yeah, the XboX guy was asked at E3 and he said people should buy a 360 and a Wii instead of a PS3. Reggie was asked what he thought about this and he said he'd rather have people buy a wii and a whole mess of games instead of a Wii and a 360. I mean, sure the 360 aint bad, and I'll probably get one when the price drops. But for the price of a 360 you can get 8 or 9 Wii games. With 20+ launch titles and more coming before the end of the year I'm going to need that green to get more Wii and DS games.
  • I wonder if we will be seeing the Ebay price gauging on the Wii. Or if we will hear of stories where the game stores let people pre-pay for a system and then sell them once they come in rather then hand them over to the pre-paying customers.
  • Uh oh.. the XBox just got cooler:
    Boardgames on the XBox
  • 1) No. Not when I can get a Wii much cheaper, and I already got a 360 recently.
    2) I'm not really waiting on price, I'm waiting for MGS4
    3) Not really.
    4) Wii~!!...... I like chocolate milk!
    5) Too ambitious.
  • I think if it works out that you can buy a wii and a 360 for the price of the ps3, then the ps3 has NO chance, less chance than the tiny one it does now. Microsoft will probably lower the 360 price when the ps3 comes out and even people who've bought the ps1 & 2 won't pass up the chance to have 2 consoles for the price of one. Even if they have to spend twice as much on games for the 2. When you add in the fact that most of the big games come out on xbox and playstation there is no competition. I also don't know if the all-in-one entertainment station works for families. What if mum and dad want to watch a movie while the kids want to play a game? AND if one breaks down you have nothing AND what if I want to save my place on a DVD while I play on a game.

Please excuse my grammar I shut my finger in the car door today, it might be broken and I am in a fair amount of pain.
  • The PS3 really won't be worth getting for the first year since most of the games on it you'll be able to get on 360 or maybe even Wii. Once they start getting to the real exclusive stuff like FF and MGS, it'll really start selling, and hopefully they'll lower the price by then.
  • I don't know that I'll ever actually buy a game for the PS3, but I do plan on picking one up when I can swing it, so long as it actually boots into linux. I would love to have one of these to replace my (puny) mythtv machine in the living room. Besides said machine being very loud and my desire to move it to the back of the house, having a cell platform to play around with is almost worth $600 by itself. At the very least, I may go in halves on it with a friend of mine down the street, since much gaming happens at my house as it is.

That being said, I'm certainly not foaming at the mouth for this thing to come out, and I agree that Sony needs to drop its IP arm. Mini-disc players would be awesome if not for the DRM, Blue-ray as a storage medium is awesome, but I will probably never buy a movie on one because of...DRM. Perhaps their IP arm is a balancing factor; the universe could not handle the awesome that would come from a smart version of Sony.
  • Yeah, belarm, you're right. I really want to emphasize what you're saying there. Sony is a gigantic mega-corp of consumer electronics. If they wanted to, they could make the awesomes shit anyone's ever seen. But they don't, largely because of all their DRM, but also because of stupidity. That is why it is so sad that Sony is just making crap. It is also why it is absolutely necessary to give Sony as much bad press as possible. Maybe only then will they realize how to turn around their sinking ship. A Sony that doesn't suck is better for all of us.
  • <blockquote rel="baltmatrix">So with the constant string of bad news coming from Sony about their "wonderful" new game system, I have some questions for everyone here one the Forums:

4) PS3 or Wii?
    5) In your opinion, why can't Sony seem to get their act together?</blockquote>

1) God no. Never ever. No.
    2) If I was ever to shell out cash for that piece of crap, it'd have to be under $250. Not some basic/full system bullshit like Xbox pulled either. A full system for less than a Wii and the games would also have to come down.

3)
    nonotrly.gif

4) Wii, oui?
    5) Arrogance, DRM, and the want to screw the consumer for every last penny. It's what most companies do nowadays. Screw long and hard and hope no one notices.
  • 1. No
    2. Yeah, I'd buy a PS3 when it hits below $200. I'd like to play MGS4 at some point.
    3. No
    4. Wii
    5. I think that Sony's betting too much that Blu Ray will carry the system instead of games. Sony's also crazy as hell.
  • edited August 2006
    Wow. 100% of responses to the first question are NO. I ask you thing then: If by some miracle you got the PS3 without paying a single cent for it what would you do?
    Keep or Sell?

Me? I would Ebay that bastich.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • I'd keep it. If nothing else it would serve as a decent upconverting DVD player. And if Blu-Ray winds the war then I'd already have a player. Just because it's crazy overpriced doesn't mean it isn't genuinely good hardware.
  • If I got a PS3 for free it would be a tough decision to see if I ebay it or not. It really depends on when I get it for free. If I got it for free while demand was high and supply was low, I'd ebay for sure. I'd probably get more money than a PS3 costs at a store. That's a lot of Wii games. If I got a PS3 for free when supply was high and demand was low, I'd probably keep it and do some wicked mods.
  • edited August 2006
    Depends on the games. If there are enough good games that I like, then sure, I'll keep it. More likely though, there will be one or two and a bunch of dreck, in which case sell sell SELL! Most especially so if the demand is high (probably a given) and the supply low (considering that Sony has yet to start production for a launch in 3 months, probably also a given).

In other Let's-Bash-Sony news, anyone see this? Apple's recalling a bunch of (surprise!) Sony-made batteries after the whole Dell fiasco.
    Post edited by crowe on
  • edited August 2006
    I have a question.

What if Mitsubishi made a console?
    It wouldn't surprise me if they come out with a console just to jump on that business Microsoft style.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I have a question.

What if Mitsubishi made a console?
    It wouldn't surprise me if they come out with a console just to jump on that business Microsoft style.
    Mitsubishi? What are they going to make, the Lancer Evolution 360? I think you mean Matsushita a.k.a. Panasonic. IIRC they did make a console a long time ago, the 3DO. See, the 3DO wasn't a console from one company. It was a set of chips that could be put into any cd-reading device to make it a 3DO player. Lots of people made 3DO consoles, but it bombed. Lots of people, including Microsoft, still think the idea of an open console platform is a good idea, they're all wrong.