This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 100204 - Book Club: HHG2G

2»

Comments

• Scott's arguments aside (I seem to be saying that a lot lately), I would agree that games like the original Metroid are entirely redundant except:
    1. For historical study
    2. For more gameplay of that ilk once you've exhausted all better options

There's really no reason to play it otherwise. It was important, and has been replaced by better things since. I would never recommend to anyone to play it unless it were for one of the two reasons above. It's a game for gamers exploring their roots. Non-gamers or casual gamers need not bother.

HHG2TG, however, is an odd case in that the radio drama came FIRST, and, in my opinion, is a better form for this sort of thing. Scott would probably laugh out loud at the radio drama.
    Scott, HHG2G is Citizen Kane. Same arguments apply. You're just one of those people that doesn't like Citizen Kane.
    I wouldn't suggest anyone but a film enthusiast watch Citizen Kane in most cases, and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it. Depending on the person, I might well suggest a more modern movie in a similar vein.
  • edited February 2010
    I read HHG2G. I passed my judgment on the book as it is now, without taking into consideration any of those things which have no bearing on the quality of the book as a work of entertainment in the present day. And given that, it's pretty good. It's not something to rush out and read. It's not something that will blow your mind.
    I'm kinda confused have you read HHG2G before this? I ask this because you talk about knowing all the jokes but you don't seem to but the review in the context of someone reading it the first time (You never mentioned if you liked the book when you originally read it).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited February 2010
    Zeppelin and Beatles, influential and still the best.
    People are also unable to separate their personal taste from their judgment of quality.
    I'm just pointing out how incredibly inconsistent your argument is here.
    I wouldn't suggest anyone but a film enthusiast watch Citizen Kane in most cases, and I suspect a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it. Depending on the person, I might well suggest a more modern movie in a similar vein.
    I know, but I'm harkening back to Scott's harping on people who don't like Citizen Kane. Not liking something is one thing, but saying that it doesn't deserve the praise heaped upon it is another thing entirely.

HHG2TG, however, is an odd case in that the radio drama came FIRST, and, in my opinion, is a better form for this sort of thing. Scott would probably laugh out loud at the radio drama.
    I've actually never listened to the radio drama. I saw the old BBC mini-series and then read the books.

I read HHG2G. I passed my judgment on the book as it is now, without taking into consideration any of those things which have no bearing on the quality of the book as a work of entertainment in the present day. And given that, it's pretty good. It's not something to rush out and read. It's not something that will blow your mind.
    OK, and now the big question: how? What are your standards? From where are your standards derived? If you're making a measure of ANY quantity, you NEED a reference for that measurement. What is your reference for quality for HHG2G?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • What is your reference for quality for HHG2G?
    Specifically, what books are funnier, and what books are less funny. Make a scale. ^_~
  • Specifically, what books are funnier, and what books are less funny. Make a scale. ^_~
    And you goddamn well better include every book ever. I demand satisfaction, sir!
  • edited February 2010
    Specifically, what books are funnier, and what books are less funny. Make a scale. ^_~
    And you goddamn well better include every book ever. I demand satisfaction, sir!
    Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman definitely need to be in the scale.
    I haven't watched many films, but I still enjoyed Citizen Kane a lot - it was highly entertaining, with some great humour.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm kinda confused have you read HHG2G before this? I ask this because you talk about knowing all the jokes but you don't seem to but the review in the context of someone reading it the first time (You never mentioned if you liked the book when you originally read it).
    I remember that I read it. It was very very long ago, because I don't remember when, or much else.
    It's more funny than this book.
    It's not nearly as funny as this book.
    And it's not even remotely close to being a fraction as funny as your face or your mom.
  • Hey, what was that really complicated chant you guys used to do at RIT hockey games? I think you did it on the show once.
  • So, have you guys decided on the next book? It wasn't mentioned at the end of the episode.
  • So, have you guys decided on the next book? It wasn't mentioned at the end of the episode.
    It's a difficult decision. ^_~

We're going to announce it in another show and review it ahead of the book club spoiler show.
  • It's not nearly as funny as this book.
    I'm pretty sure John Hodgeman would disagree with you.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure John Hodgeman would disagree with you.
    Then John Hodgeman is fucking wrong.
    Post edited by Churba on
    It's a difficult decision. ^_~

We're going to announce it in another show and review it ahead of the book club spoiler show.
    There was a huge argument about what kind of book, who refuses to read what, how long it should be, what genre, etc. The end result was, of course, a lack of a result. :P
  • I've been meaning to pick up More Information Than You Require, but when you already have a compendium of complete world knowledge, how much more do you really need?
  • This episode is rather timely as I have recently been listening to all of HHG2TG books read by Douglas Adams. I am almost finished with So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. I read the series when I was much younger and thought they were hysterical. I re-read HHG2TG in college and still found it amusing and diverting, but not as funny as I did on my first read at a younger age. I have to say that I really like the audio book read by Douglas Adams. It isn't as funny as my first read, but his voice and intonations highlight the humor. All-in-all they are quick, light, and amusing reads and the audio books help pass a dull day at work or a boring car ride. I am going to seek out the radio drama based on Rym's recommendation and see how it stacks up.
  • Review was kind of lacking. I'm surprised you guys didn't talk about the wonderful beam of sunshine that was Marvin. Nor how awesome it would be to have something like the improbability drive.
  • edited February 2010
    As for the Super Bowl, I don't care who wins. Just as long as the Colts lose, I will be perfectly fine. My hatred for the Colts is only surpassed by my hatred for the Steelers. If you need an explanation, I'm a Ravens fan.

Oh, and I played the shit out of the Star Wars game for the original Game Boy. It was the first game I ever owned.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Oh, and I played the shit out of the Star Wars game for the original Game Boy. It was the first game I ever owned.
    NICE!
  • edited February 2010
    It's pretty much over at this point. I am surprised by the outcome. I did not expect the Saints to play this well, especially after their slow first-quarter start.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • 's pretty much over at this point. I am surprised by the outcome. I did not expect the Saints to p
    Yay! Not-Colts won!
  • Nice game, not great, but good. Onside kick at half time was most memorable.
  • Nice game, not great, but good. Onside kick at half time was most memorable.
    I saw that. Took some serious...balls. The whole drive to the touchdown right after that was great. The Saints were like a juggernaut.
  • Since you guys were talking about the different team rivalries, I need to mention my city, Boston's, pet rivalry with the New York Yankees. This is probably the greatest rivalry in all major sports, because we actually have a reason to hate them, and it has been going for 92 years.
  • So the Superb-Owl set a record for longest amount of commercial; 48 minutes.
  • I've been meaning to pick up More Information Than You Require, but when you already have a compendium of complete world knowledge, how much more do you really need?
    There is always more. I read it in one day and it's funny as shit. Particularly what he has to say about the presidents of the U.S.
    There is always more. I read it in one day and it's funny as shit. Particularly what he has to say about the presidents of the U.S.
    ITAOME was hysterical. Especially the part about snowball fights--the "New Yorker" snowball being one with a D battery hidden inside.
  • My favorite part is Hobo Matters.

• Greatest Hobo movie EVAR! (that was not made by Charles Chaplin)
    Sadly I was not able to find any other youtube video but this one:
  • Thanks for the compliments about us Washington Capitals fans. Also, I did actually read the book and it only took me a few days during my commute to and from work to do so. One reason I'm glad I take the METRO to and from work is the time to read or play something on my DS.
  • There are 42 days left until PAX, coincidence, I think not.....

(uh oh, I'm becoming a boring nerd, don't want that.)