This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Ebay account just got hacked!

edited August 2006 in Everything Else
I just experienced my first case of internet fraud. I was sitting at my computer, when I noticed an email came in from Ebay confirming that I had just listed a DVD boxed set on Ebay. I thought this was interesting, since I haven't listed anything on Ebay in months. I assumed that this was a phishing scam, so I went over to Ebay and checked my account. Sure enough... somebody was listing DVD sets using my account.

I immediately changed my password. The weird thing is that they still listed several DVD sets after my password was changed. I wonder if they could stay logged in, even though I changed my password on my end. Just as fast as they posted the items, I deleted the listings. This went on for about half an hour.

I chatted with Ebay security, and they resolved the problem quickly. All of the charges were removed from my account. (About $50 worth.)

What's scary is that I know this was not the result of a phishing scam. It's also scary because my Ebay password was a unique password. I've checked my Paypal account, and that was not touched. (whew!) The Ebay representative said that they would probably claim that my Paypal wasn't working when the auction closed, and ask for a check to be sent. All of the auctions were for 24 hours.

I've never had something like that happen at all. Fortunately, I have very little on the internet that is sensitive. I've always declined to store my credit card number, etc. I also use different passwords. I suspect that Ebay is somehow being hacked, because a google search revealed many other complaints of identical behavior - and all of the victims swear that they did not respond to any email. Gotta love the wild-west world we call the internet!

Comments

• Gotta be security conscious. Obviously ebay is not.
  • wow thats pretty crazy... I should go change my ebay password... seeing as I haven't since I got it.
  • God damn man... scaring the bejesus out of me... I just went and changed my password (which I would have done eventually anyway since I've completely forgotten my old one ^_^' ). I hope this is a ebay.COM only thing and not ebay.co.uk
  • hello everybody
    im nice!!!
    love
    lauren
  • Sorry my friend overtook they keyboard.
  • The Ebay hack. My account was hijacked last week in a similar manner. I only noticed it because I saw the listing appear in My Ebay section the day after I posted an item of my own. Now I was selling a 1967 Shelby GT 500. Nice car. The listing had a comment in MyEbay section describing "an Ebay test" and that "the listing would disappear when the test was done". Haha. Ebay resolved the matter within 24 hours and the live help person was pretty much clueless as to how this happened.

Given that the email addy I use for Ebay and my paypal were not hacked, I can only assume that an image of the Ebay user database had been stolen or perhaps someone has found a way to hijack their sessions database. In any case... big egg on Ebay's face.

Security ain't a river in Egypt.