This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free will is an illusion, biologist says

13»

Comments

• I loved Molly Malone with her razor nails as a teenager.
    You mean Molly Millions.
  • I could have sworn that was her name, but then again, I haven't read the book for quite a while.
  • I read Neuromancer again a while ago, and while it's still enjoyable for the ideas, and was obviously hugely influential -- man, those characters are cardboard.
  • I could have sworn that was her name, but then again, I haven't read the book for quite a while.
    Molly Malone is an Irish prostitute.

No, really.
  • Molly Malone is an Irish prostitute.
    I know more than one version of that song.
    Did you pull the one line out of that article that suggested that? They clearly say that that is a recent invention, and that there is no evidence the song is even based on a real person.
  • edited March 2010
    I could have sworn that was her name, but then again, I haven't read the book for quite a while.
    Did you pull the one line out of that article that suggested that? They clearly say that that is a recent invention, and that there is no evidence the song is even based on a real person.
    Come now, I was just being a bit facetious. Furthermore, even if she is fictional, that doesn't impact what she is, just as if I said "Harry Potter is a wizard." Anyway, I read that "She is typically represented as a hawker by day and part-time prostitute by night." While there was likely no real Molly and the idea of a real one is a recent invention, the prostitute representation is way old.

Also, yes, she's also been represented as chaste. But given Molly Millions's various jobs, I feel that the "Meat Puppet" Malone, if you will, is more pertinent here.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I never heard anything about her being a prostitute until the modern legend crap started. I read that line as applying to the modern legend, and not the tradition. In the song, there is absolutely nothing to imply anything other than she's a fishmonger.

I just think it's a bit misleading to say, "No seriously." But then, I'm serious about my folklore and shit, so I'm sure no one else actually cared. :P
  • I never heard anything about her being a prostitute until the modern legend People taking dirty Drinking songs seriously crap started.