This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Modest heros?

A recent studyfrom the UK said that the large amount of sexual imagery in the media (tv, music, vidja games) is causing young boys to idealize the tough, muscular, bully type of character and girls to do the same to scantily clad, unrealistically proportioned, 'sexually appealing' characters/stars. This has had numerous effects including a marked increase in teens wanting plastic surgery. It also said that often, when children and teens attain what they feel is their 'ideal', they are often disappointed and depressed.
I thought about it a bit, and was wondering how many 'heroes' we could find in fictional media that went against these general stereotypes. Examples I could think of:
imageHilde, from SC4. While having an idealized face/body, at least the design has some modesty in there. It makes sense that in a sword fight, you'd want to wear some armor. Unlike, say Ivy who is a perfect example of the opposite.
Granted, it's more challenging to find main characters who have 'real' bodies, but I wonder if any of you guys can find them.
As for males, I also had trouble thinking of any, but again, maybe you guys could help out.

Comments

• Valve's non-comic characters fit the 'real' bodies description.
  • I think Elena Fisher (Uncharted/Uncharted 2) and Samus (Metroid) are probably the best examples I can think of.
  • Samus (Metroid)
    When she's in her Power Suit, sure, but Zero Suit Samus on the other hand...
  • Samus is a female?
  • Samus is a female?
    Darth Vader is Luke's father?
  • Samus is a female?
    You're not kidding are you?
  • Samus is a female?
    I refer you to the original "You disgust me" thread.
  • I think the main character of "Shadow of the Colossus" is a good example.
  • What about Koji Kabuto:

Or Gai Shishio:

Neither of them are particularly "beefcake"-style designs.
  • None of the Left 4 Dead franchise characters are idealized.
  • Samus is a female?
    I refer you to the original"You disgust me" thread.
    Something I said is the unofficial name for a topic? I feel so honored.
  • I have found four modest anime heroes for you, Mr. MacRoss. Two male, two female.

The males:

Yang Wenli - Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Admiral, Military Strategist
    He's not a beefcake - a trim military build, yes, but nothing unreasonable. But, he's 30 years old! He's lazy! He fights with the power of his mind! And spends the whole show worrying about the effects of his actions on the lives of others and the course of history. A great modest hero.

Justy Ueki Tylor - Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Ship's Captain
    Alright, maybe calling Tylor a "hero" is pushing it, but he's certainly the main character, and awesome. As far as anime characters go, he is rather plain-looking, and seems an average fellow (if not for his quite amazing luck...)

And in the ladies' corner:

Erin - Kemono no Souja Erin
    Beast Healer, Animal Tamer
    She's rather plain in appearance, apart from her green hair and eyes. Furthermore, she's a heroine who overcomes obstacles with her incredible smarts, her emotions, and her dedication to learning & helping living things. She'd be a good role model for almost anyone.

Balsa - Seirei no Moribito
    Bodyguard
    Like Erin, she's a heroine from an Uehashi Nahoko work, and her story also involves motherly themes. However, she's very masculine, and while she has an athletic build and fuller bust, it's nothing close to the anime norm. Her outfit provides full coverage, and she isn't treated as a sex symbol in the show. She's 30 years old, which is rather atypical for an anime heroine, and in addition, she's completely competent, skilled in fighting, and freaking badass.

I'm sure I could find some more modest heroes, but these are the first to come to mind. Also, if any of you haven't seen these shows, do yourself a favor and check them out. They should not be missed.
  • Kekko Kamen is a pretty good example.
  • It's not anime, but comic strip private detective Rip Kirby could be considered a modest hero. He wears glasses and has a busted nose, prefers to use his brains, but can fight if it comes down to it.
  • Kekko Kamen is a pretty good example.
  • Frankly, I'm surprised it took you that long.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    The most modest hero that I can think of is Kodai Susumu from Space Battleship Yamato (Derek Wildstar to those who grew up with Star Blazers). Honorable, chaste, and brave, and doesn't flaunt or show-off these traits; you can't really make a strike against him.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Gordon Freeman; does everything he needs to do and doesn't ask for a goddamn thing in return.
  • Gordon Freeman; does everything he needs to do and doesn't ask for a goddamn thing in return.
    That's because he lost his tongue during the resonance cascade. He isn't physically able to ask for anything in return.
  • Gordon Freeman is just a really grumpy bear.
  • edited March 2010
    Gordon Freeman is just a really grumpy bear.
    Comic incoming...

Note to self: learn to use the GIMP.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Gordon Freeman is just a really grumpy bear.
    Comic incoming...

Note to self: learn to use the GIMP.
    For a second I thought you meant this...
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Here's another challenge, what about heros that don't have idealized bodies? While Balsa is older and all around badass, she does have an idealized feminine body. The same with my example.
  • edited March 2010
    Bruce campbell
    he's aging :-p

Hmmm... in my cases the only stuff I can find is from comedies or the sidekick or "geek" character of a show...

Post edited by Cremlian on
  • That's a tougher one Mr. MacRoss. Like Cremlian I can only think of comedy/light-hearted stuff and of course side characters that are mostly just there for the joke ("Haha, fat cop eating donut, haha."), but you asked for heroes. So let's go to Heroes. The telepathic cop, Matt doesn't have an idealized body iirc. No idea for women though.
  • edited March 2010
    I would say Dr. Tenma from Monster is also a good example of modest heroes. A bad example would be Bayonetta, but I really don't mind her <3
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Here's another challenge, what about heroes that don't have idealized bodies? While Balsa is older and all around badass, she does have an idealized feminine body. The same with my example.
    Almost Every British hero:
    -Every roll Simon Peg plays
    -Holmes and Watson
    -Everyone from "Red Dwarf"
    -The Werewolf from "Being Human"
    -Susan Boyle

American:
    -Gabriella from early episodes of Xena. She got hot later.
  • A bad example would be Bayonetta, but I really don't mind her <3</p>
    Her alternate costumes in the game are far more sexualized than her normal one, and that's really saying something.
  • A bad example would be Bayonetta, but I really don't mind her <3</p>
    Her alternate costumes in the game are far more sexualized than her normal one, and that's really saying something.
    And that is why I am getting the strategy guide. Also, it looks like a neat coffee table :P