This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Youtube vs iTunes

edited March 2010 in Everything Else
Normally if someone uses music in an iTune video, three things happen at my end:
1. I just watch the video as normal. Maybe see a music credit.
2. The video is removed so I can't see it at all, or the music is replaced automatically.
3. If the music is "located" somewhere else, I get a message saying "Not available in your part of the world."

Tonight something else happened for the first time:
4. A link shows up on the bottom of the video saying "Buy this track on iTunes."

And I bought an entire album. Yeah, the first time I've ever been able to buy music within two clicks of a mouse from Youtube, I did so.

Generally any time I listen to music, if there was a "buy it now" option, which will get it onto my iPod within two clicks, I'd be an easy, easy, easy target. Why doesn't the record industry understand this?

Comments

• Why doesn't the record industry understand this?
    Because Big Music is composed of out-of-touch fools.
  • Why doesn't the record industry understand this?
    Because they are still making bank, and until that stops happening, they won't change.
  • Tonight something else happened for the first time:
    4. A link shows up on the bottom of the video saying "Buy this track on iTunes."
    Was this a user annotation, or is it a new YouTube feature?
  • Was this a user annotation, or is it a new YouTube feature?
    The latter.
  • Tonight something else happened for the first time:
    Was this a user annotation, or is it a new YouTube feature?
    Yeah, it was a feature on youtube. I know this was a plan, that if copyright music was detected, you had the option to have a link to iTunes. It was just the first time I ever saw such a link, and I bought the music without hesitation. A trusted company already having my credit card details is a killer app. See also: Amazon.com.