This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for a program to send soundclips over a mic

edited March 2010 in Technology
I don't know if this exists, but I need a program that can store various short sound clips and map them to hotkeys so I can play them over a mic. This will primarily be used for gaming when I dont have my headset with me and need to quickly communicate.

Comments

• HLSS is the only one that I've heard of.
  • I don't know if this exists, but I need a program that can store various short sound clips and map them to hotkeys so I can play them over a mic. This will primarily be used for gaming when I dont have my headset with me and need to quickly communicate.
    A really simple way to do this is to get a separate audio player, like iPod, iPhone etc, then just connect the audio out to the microphone in on the computer. You can also do this with a separate laptop or whatever.
  • Are you talking about Half-Life DJ?
  • HLSS is the only one that I've heard of.
    This seems to only work for steam based games.
    A really simple way to do this is to get a separate audio player, like iPod, iPhone etc, then just connect the audio out to the microphone in on the computer. You can also do this with a separate laptop or whatever.
    Having to find each sound clip to play defeats the purpose. Ideally I'd like to have it mapped to my keyboard to quickly play. Also, lets say I want to taunt my opponent and say "You got destroyed!" I want to say the "You got" part myself but then play a booming sound clip of the word "destroyed!" for added effect, is there a way to do this? That is, insert sound clips during the middle of my own talking? I've listened to podcasts in which they do exactly this where they have a sound board with buttons they press to play the sounds within the recordings but I'm not sure if this would work over random games within their own built in voice chats.
  • If the game supports VOIP, then why not just bind the mic key to something convenient and just talk?
  • If the game supports VOIP, then why not just bind the mic key to something convenient and just talk?
    This will primarily be used for gaming when I dont have my headset with me and need to quickly communicate.
    This will primarily be used for gaming when I dont have my headset with me and need to quickly communicate.
    Yeah yeah, so I "TL;DR"-ed the thread. Well, In UT2K4, I think you can set custom taunts, but other than that, I dunno.
  • I'm not sure about getting the WAV output to actually go to the mic input, but I'm almost certain that you could write a simple Autohotkey script that could trigger the WAVs from a hotkey.
  • I'm not sure about getting the WAV output to actually go to the mic input, but I'm almost certain that you could write a simpleAutohotkeyscript that could trigger the WAVs from a hotkey.
    Yeah that will work but I don't know how I could get it to go through the mic.
  • with out looking anything up I have a theoretical solution.

If you got some kind of midi controller and set it up so the sound pad was just all the various sound clips you could have a system to trigger each one at will. to get it to play over the "mic" you just have to change the mic preference, for the device just select the stereo instead of the mic.

I know that this alone wont work cause your not using your regular keyboard and you also need to figure out a way to still use the mic. and I'm pretty sure you would need to run the game and the other program at the same time.

What I have said alone wouldn't work but that is the backwards ass-ed way I would start to approach this particular problem. I don't look at it as one problem but a bunch of little ones and try to solve them individually and make them all work.

Or I'm just talking out of my ass, I dunno.
  • Midi controller
    You might be able to plug the mic through the controller, and have a hotkey for it, or have an always on setting for it.
  • Midi controller
    You might be able to plug the mic through the controller, and have a hotkey for it, or have an always on setting for it.
    so it's not a bad idea?

I mean if you were to do my theory and use a midi controller threw a separate program to control the clips and assign the stereo mix as your mic, all you would need to do is make the mic appear on your stereo mix, but you would have figure out how to eliminate game noise and there is the possibility of a feed back loop I suppose.
  • so it's not a bad idea?
    Shit if I know, but if you can make it work that way, Then I don't see a reason why the MIDI controller couldn't input the mic along with everything else.
  • Yeah, the game noise would be a problem in this case. I'd like to be able to speak through the mic and send sounds through at the same time. Maybe there's a way to hot key switching the mic input from the sound card to the actual mic.
  • Have you thought of getting a cheap webcam? I use mine for in-game communication and it's always ready to go.
  • Err, I'm not familiar with webcams. Does it let me insert sound clips while still being able to talk through it?
  • Err, I'm not familiar with webcams. Does it let me insert sound clips while still being able to talk through it?
    No, but almost all of them have built-in microphones.
  • No, but almost all of them have built-in microphones.
    Err, I already have a microphone this doesn't help me do what I want. I've been looking around and its looks like there is no way to both send my voice and sound clips at the same time. : /
  • The microphone on a webcam picks up anyone sitting at the computer, so you can communicate quickly without needing to put your headset on.