This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FAT TAX

edited March 2010 in Everything Else
I'm against the idea of a FAT TAX. I really think it's just going to put a bigger crunch on the population that's already having financial difficulties. Parents, low income, single out of work Wow Addicts... I'd rather see healthier foods subsidizes or reduced in price. Soda and bottled water is $1.50. One costs less to produce, so why are they the same price? If given the option between a 1.50$ Pepsi and a .75$ bottle of water, I imagine most people getting the water.

I'm indifferent about Convenience Taxes, extra taxes on sales in convenience stores. I know Maine has one and my cousins hate it. I don't buy anything at one except Stewart's Ice cream. I'm not sure if bodagas would count or not. I think this bill should be expanded to consider drive through windows at fast food restaurants. Seriously, eating while driving increases not only your waist line; but your chances of being in a car accident as well. Ever try to drive an open a packet of ketchup? It's a pain in the ass. Nuggets? Forget about it!

Comments

• Keep in mind that the government is also trying to discourage bottled water because of the impact on the environment.
  • I think it would be much easier to just ban high fructose corn syrup and trans fat entirely. It would be a very simple regulation that would have the desired effect.
  • edited March 2010
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    -Thomas Jefferson

This is the view I ascribe to. If you want to make the argument that overweight people are hurting others because they cost society money, then we also need to start banning rock climbing, roller coasters, and driving; especially driving. You know how much you increase your risk of violent death by getting into a car? I garentee you cost society more money by driving in a car than by being overweight.

The problem with these kinds of laws (based on the idea that your lifestyle costs society money) is that we ALL do something that costs society money. Eventually the Fat police will turn into something else and will take away something you enjoy doing. Just let people live how they want, and you live how you want.

In responce to Scott:

High fructose corn syrup is not that bad compared to regular sugar. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. High Fructose Corn Syrup is 45% glucose and 55% fructose. There is a measly 10% more fructose in HFCS. And while fructose can be bad for you if you have too much of it (it can only be processed by the liver, and the liver can only process so much per day), the 10% is not going to make a huge difference. What will make a huge difference is people not gulping down 6 cans of soda a day.

If you ban high fructose corn syrup, the only real result is that we'd quickly make amends with Brazil so that we could buy cheap sugar, and people would consume the same amount of sugar soda instead of HFCS soda. LIke I said above, live and let live. If someone wants to be fat, let 'em be fat. It doesn't bother me at all.
    Post edited by Bridger on
  • Refined sugar, in any capacity, is a problematic food. Regular table sugar isn't good for you either. Pure sugar soft drinks are no better than HFCS soft drinks. Avoid high glycemic index foods, like refined sugars, and you'll find it a lot easier to maintain a healthy weight.
  • If someone wants to be fat, let 'em be fat. It doesn't bother me at all.
    So we don't want to address the fact that obesity appears to be the sole reason the average live expectancy of low-income Americans has dropped in recent years? It's a serious health issue that's only going to get worse. The question is simply to what extent and by what means should we address it. I do not believe that we should simply accept it.
  • I think it would be much easier to just ban high fructose corn syrup and trans fat entirely. It would be a very simple regulation that would have the desired effect.
    It would not have the desired effect at all. The desired effect here is raise tax revenue, reducing obesity is a marketing spin. Don't be stupid people.
  • It would not have the desired effect at all. The desired effect here is raise tax revenue, reducing obesity is a marketing spin. Don't be stupid people.
    What if we made a fat tax, but mandated that ALL monies earned by the tax could ONLY be used in equivalent subsidies for more healthful food? Make it a closed loop where no one has anything to gain from it on a personal political level.
  • edited March 2010
    It would not have the desired effect at all. The desired effect here is raise tax revenue, reducing obesity is a marketing spin. Don't be stupid people.
    What if we made a fat tax, but mandated that ALL monies earned by the tax could ONLY be used in equivalent subsidies for more healthful food? Make it a closed loop where no one has anything to gain from it on a personal political level.
    While it could work on paper, given today's political environment it would go form zero to pork in about two seconds.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • What if we made a fat tax, but mandated that ALL monies earned by the tax could ONLY be used in equivalent subsidies for more healthful food? Make it a closed loop where no one has anything to gain from it on a personal political level.
    They do the same thing with fuel tax in Britain, they pay for public transit. Sounds great, but if you think about it if everyone stopped driving cars and took public transit or walked, then how is it funded now? The same is true for what you propose, it only works as long as people are consuming large quantities of fizzy sugar water.

And again, this is for tax revenue, NY is hard up for cash, they're not gonna go for closed loop, make people healthier bullshit. Be a bit more skeptical of your government's "noble" intentions.
  • edited March 2010
    If someone wants to be fat, let 'em be fat. It doesn't bother me at all.
    So we don't want to address the fact that obesity appears to be the sole reason the average live expectancy of low-income Americans hasdroppedin recent years? It's a serious health issue that's only going to get worse. The question is simply to what extent and by what means should we address it. I do not believe that we should simply accept it.
    True enough. I guess I should qualify that I'm in favor of increasing awareness, but not forcing people to change their lives. Right now it's a crusade to make america healthy that results in people forced to change their lifestyle. What if the next target is people who play video games because that is seen as "unhealthy."? The precedent that was set with smoking (and with obesity) is that it's OK to force people to change their lifestyle as long as it's in their own best interest!

I, for one, do not want to set that precedent.
    They do the same thing with fuel tax in Britain, they pay for public transit. Sounds great, but if you think about it if everyone stopped driving cars and took public transit or walked, then how is it funded now? The same is true for what you propose, it only works as long as people are consuming large quantities of fizzy sugar water.

And again, this is for tax revenue, NY is hard up for cash, they're not gonna go for closed loop, make people healthier bullshit. Be a bit more skeptical of your government's "noble" intentions.
    The same thing happened with smoking. I remember an article that was discussing how state X (can't remember which one, might have been California) was in a bind. You see, they started the cigarette tax with the understanding that the money generated from it would only be used to pay for the damage to society caused by smoking (lung cancer patients and such). Yet, they are politicians, and there's a whole bunch of tax revenue just sitting there, we can't just leave it for it's intended purpose! So they redirected the money into the education system to score points with the voters. "I funded education without raising taxes." This was all well and good, until people started smoking less. Now the schools can't buy new books because the government's anti-smoking campaign was successful.
    Post edited by Bridger on
  • The precedent that was set with smoking (and with obesity) is that it's OK to force people to change their lifestyle as long as it's in their own best interest!
    We're not forcing anyone to not smoke in NYC. We're forcing them to not smoke around other people (majority rule), but allowing them to smoke in private as much as they like (minority rights). And what do we have to show for it? A significant increase in life expectancy, reduction in cardiovascular disease, and other assorted benefits. For the vast majority of New Yorkers, the ban has been a boon, while at the same time minority rights have been preserved.

So what precedent exactly was set? What if marijuana was legal? We would probably not allow its use in public places. How about alcohol? Consuming alcohol in public is illegal around here in many circumstances already. Glass containers aren't allowed in the park. Is this an infringement on the rights of glass-users?
  • edited March 2010
    As for the "sugar" tax, I'm conflicted. Most of me thinks that this is well beyond a proper governmental role. However, I've always been accepting of "stupid people" taxes. Thus, the conflict.

One problem, however, is that these taxes tend to hit the poor the hardest. In my area, cigarette taxes have gone through the roof, yet the poorest segment of the local population does not seem to have reduced smoking much at all. This is anecdotal, but it's based on discussions with people I know that serve those in poverty.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Same with taxes on alcohol, doesn't seem to stop people drinking themselves stupid.
  • Make it a closed loop where no one has anything to gain from it on a personal political level.
    I'm feeling this would make a leaky garden hose.

I'd stand behind tax breaks for establishments that produce/serve primarily healthier foods. We've got plenty of sources to help you quit smoking, but what about free nutrition counseling?
  • The precedent that was set with smoking (and with obesity) is that it's OK to force people to change their lifestyle as long as it's in their own best interest!
    We're not forcing anyone to not smoke in NYC. We're forcing them to not smoke around other people (majority rule), but allowing them to smoke in private as much as they like (minority rights). And what do we have to show for it? A significant increase in life expectancy, reduction in cardiovascular disease, and other assorted benefits. For the vast majority of New Yorkers, the ban has been a boon, while at the same time minority rights have been preserved.

So what precedent exactly was set? What if marijuana was legal? We would probably not allow its use in public places. How about alcohol? Consuming alcohol in public is illegal around here in many circumstances already. Glass containers aren't allowed in the park. Is this an infringement on the rights of glass-users?
    Everything you say is true, and I agree with it. However, this can lead to the destruction of the minority rights by extension. As long as that is preserved, I don't have a problem. A "fat tax" as proposed earlier in the discussion is the beginning of the removal of minority rights. History has shown us that anytime a government program is created, it can and will be used for much more than it was intended. Take the RICO act as a prime example. "We will only use these extraordinary powers against organized crime syndicates like the mob." They then started to use these extremely harsh laws against eco-terrorists and other groups. The deal (when the law was signed) was that it would only be used in the most extreme cases against the super-organized crime syndicates. Now they are using it against hippies who are trying to make a statement.

So I only suggest caution in the application of any penalties or benefits to people's lifestyle choices. What's next, a Gay tax? A tax on intrnet usage so people can get outside more? Everybody's view of a "proper, healthy lifestyle" is different. Some people don't care if they are fat. Some people don't care that smoking is killing them. Some people enjoy gay sex. Some people like to play a lot of video games. For each of these views there is another group out there who is absolutely sure that those kinds of people are destroying america!

So my point is: just because you feel that you are in the majority in "helping" these people live a better life "for their own good" in this situation, doesn't mean you will be in the majority all the time. So I would advise caution in any legislation designed to change people's lifestyle choices.

That said, a municipality has every right to legislate smoking out of bars or restaurants or whatever. Let's just make sure that fervor doesn't spill over to banning behavior in your own home (as you stated above Rym).
  • edited March 2010
    The government makes regulations on what you can do with your lifestyle all the time. The only difference between established laws and new laws is that you've been living with the established laws all our life, so you aren't being told that YOU have to change. If the government never mandated that something needed to change, they could never make new laws.

This "tax" seems perfectly reasonable to me. The government is not telling you you can't drink soda because it's bad for you. You still have the option to drink it. It just costs more. The gas tax might discourage people from driving if they can walk, but it does not prevent driving in general. The encouragement of healthy drinks is a nice perk of this proposed legislation, but not the main goal. The main goal is to raise revenue because we are in a budget crisis. Part of the budget goes toward funding the support of people who have health problems from obesity, so why not bring money into the budget while potentially cutting down the financial need for assistance? Raising the price of soda via a tax is rationally related to closing the budget gap.

The knee-jerk reaction of "Don't tell me I have to change something!" is typical, but is not a very sound argument here. We change things all the time. We integrated schools, we set clean air and water standards, and we changed the legal drinking age. This change is no different from the other changes the government implements. There is no fundamental or Constitutional right to drink soda without being taxed differentially, so come up with a better reason than "I'll do what I want" if you seriously want to counter this law.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot: as long as the tax applies equally to all soda purchasers, I see no problem with the application. If, however, it is discriminatory as-applied, then there will be problems. You see, skinny people drink soda too. Yeah, I know, the stereotype is that all skinny people are on diets and eat healthy. Well, no. That's not how it works. Besides, weight is not a protected classification as far as I know. If the government has a legitimate interest in legislation that happens to limit the access of obese people to something that contributes to obesity, then in my opinion, so be it. I do NOT see a minority protection issue here. Fat people are not a discrete and insular minority.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I just don't like getting taxes marketed to me (well not me, I don't live in NY). If you need revenue, raise the income and sales taxes. Don't tax a certain subset of the population.
  • I just don't like getting taxes marketed to me (well not me, I don't live in NY). If you need revenue, raise the income and sales taxes. Don't tax a certain subset of the population.
    No taxes on cigarettes or liquor?
  • No taxes on cigarettes or liquor?
    I my world, no.
  • The government makes regulations on what you can do with your lifestyle all the time. The only difference between established laws and new laws is that you've been living with the established laws all our life, so you aren't being told that YOU have to change. If the government never mandated that something needed to change, they could never make new laws.

This "tax" seems perfectly reasonable to me. The government is not telling you you can't drink soda because it's bad for you. You still have the option to drink it. It just costs more. The gas tax might discourage people from driving if they can walk, but it does not prevent driving in general. The encouragement of healthy drinks is a nice perk of this proposed legislation, but not the main goal. The main goal is to raise revenue because we are in a budget crisis. Part of the budget goes toward funding the support of people who have health problems from obesity, so why not bring money into the budget while potentially cutting down the financial need for assistance? Raising the price of soda via a tax is rationally related to closing the budget gap.

The knee-jerk reaction of "Don't tell me I have to change something!" is typical, but is not a very sound argument here. We change things all the time. We integrated schools, we set clean air and water standards, and we changed the legal drinking age. This change is no different from the other changes the government implements. There is no fundamental or Constitutional right to drink soda without being taxed differentially, so come up with a better reason than "I'll do what I want" if you seriously want to counter this law.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot: as long as the tax applies equally to all soda purchasers, I see no problem with the application. If, however, it is discriminatory as-applied, then there will be problems. You see, skinny people drink soda too. Yeah, I know, the stereotype is that all skinny people are on diets and eat healthy. Well, no. That's not how it works. Besides, weight is not a protected classification as far as I know. If the government has a legitimate interest in legislation that happens to limit the access of obese people to something that contributes to obesity, then in my opinion, so be it. I do NOT see a minority protection issue here. Fat people are not a discrete and insular minority.
    While there's nothing illegal or unconstitutional about these kinds of taxes, I would prefer they not exsist, for the reasons I stated above. I don't want the government deciding how I should live my life. As noted above, my view of government is it should only legislate in places that do definitive financial or physical harm. So no murder, no stealing, etc. I would prefer to live in an area where the local government did not decide for me what kind of life I should live.

Sure it's a pipe dream, unless I want to move to New Hampshire. That doesn't mean I can't argue against new impositions on forums though :P
  • . As noted above, my view of government is it should only legislate in places that do definitive financial or physical harm. So no murder, no stealing, etc.
    Companies sneaking trans fats into your food is basically attempted murder. A study from the NEJM states that it's likely that 30k-100k deaths from coronary heart disease each year are the result of diets high in trans fats.

Make no mistake: HFCS might not be doing "definitive physical harm," but trans fats are a step away from weaponized food.
  • Companies sneaking trans fats into your food is basically attempted murder. A study from the NEJM states that it's likely that 30k-100k deaths from coronary heart disease each year are the result of diets high in trans fats.

Make no mistake: HFCS might not be doing "definitive physical harm," but trans fats are a step away from weaponized food.
    Cigarettes are murder, too.
  • Trans fat is basically artificially created saturated fat. Bad yes, but not weaponized food. HFCS is the same, it's just sugars. Ever had sweet tea in the south, I think the sugar content is higher than soda.
  • edited March 2010
    As noted above, my view of government is it should only legislate in places that do definitive financial or physical harm. So no murder, no stealing, etc. I would prefer to live in an area where the local government did not decide for me what kind of life I should live.

Sure it's a pipe dream, unless I want to move to New Hampshire. That doesn't mean I can't argue against new impositions on forums though :P
    The only problem I generally have with opinions like that is that government functions are so incredibly intertwined with our daily lives that we cannot really draw a line for "definitive" anything. The argument could easily be raised that cutting the state budget is both physically and financially harmful to many of the state's citizens. Imposing this tax could very well be less harmful overall than cutting the budget by the amount that would be generated by the tax. Keep in mind that the options are not "status quo" or "soda tax." The options are "budget cuts" or "raise more money." In the case of budget cuts, some segment of the population WILL be harmed.

If you want the government to not impose certain burdens on you, then you should also be willing to give up commensurate benefits. Granted, there are people who are willing to do so, but not in enough of a majority to make it work. If you can find a state's majority worth of people who are willing to give up a certain amount of services in order to not have to pay a certain tax, then you can try to implement it.

(This is the same problem the "government shouldn't be granting marriage licenses to anyone at all" people face. Some say they would gladly give up the privileges conferred on them by their government marriage license to keep the government from giving homosexuals the label of "marriage," which is a religious sacrament. The argument is nice, in theory, but unless it can actually be applied, it is simply theoretical. There is simply no way to get a majority of married couples in the country to agree to give up those privileges.)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I would prefer to live in an area where the local government did not decide for me what kind of life I should live.
    I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes, we know more about what's good for you than you do. Really. Trust me. I'm from the government; I'm here to help.

I'm all for individual freedom, but some things are literally impossible for an individual to control effectively. Campylobacter from raw milk? It's there, it happens, and you can't stop it except by pasteurization. Thus, we regulate that product.
  • edited March 2010
    I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes, we know more about what's good for you than you do. Really. Trust me. I'm from the government; I'm here to help.
    I think my point was more convincing. :P

How about we let people drink raw milk, provided that they waive any and all rights to state-funded medical help or legal remedy if they get sick from it?
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • No, lets just tax raw milk heavily to discourage people from drinking it!
  • edited March 2010
    Cigarettes are murder, too.
    I won't argue that, but neither will I say that smokers should be forbidden cigarettes.
    Trans fat is basically artificially created saturated fat. Bad yes, but not weaponized food.
    Except natural saturated fats like lard don't radically increase your chances of CHD in a balanced diet. Even relatively small amounts of trans fat radically increase chances of CHD. We don't even know how the body copes with trans fats right now; the present theory is that human lipases can only handle cis saturated fats and that your body cannot physically metabolize trans fats for long periods of time. They are quite literally something that should not enter your body. For HFCS we have fructase, and that is easily handled, but trans fats should be banned or sold with the same surgeon general warnings that cigarettes and alcohol are. Say what you will about nicotine, but at least we have the CYP enzymes to deal with that shit.

Not that any of this is applicable to me; when I'm home I almost exclusively cook with butter and olive oil (other unsaturated oils as well), and once I'm out of this housing I will have entirely eliminated trans fats from my diet.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Oh, we must not forgot to tax salt while we're at it.
  • Oh, we must not forgot to tax salt while we're at it.
    You're just bitter because you're fat!