This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Well this sucks...

edited March 2010 in Technology
I was planning on re-purposing my Dell T105 server into a gaming rig but now that I have looked inside the case I see that it only has 2 PCI-E x8 slots. I can't put a PCI-E x16 video card in there!

Are there any good PCI-E x8 video cards out there or should I just sell the system or part it out on eBay?

I read on some forums about cutting part of the slot off so the x16 cards will fit (but run at x8) but I don't want to do that.

The machine has a dual-core Opteron (2.xGhz), 4GB of RAM and two 500GB Seagate drives with a spare (was running gmirror under FreeBSD) in case anyone is interested in taking it off my hands.

Comments

• The machine has a dual-core Opteron (2.xGhz), 4GB of RAM and two 500GB Seagate drives with a spare (was running gmirror under FreeBSD) in case anyone is interested in taking it off my hands.
    Take all the reusable parts out, like the drives, RAM, CPU, and stick them in a new box with a new motherboard and video card.
  • I would need a new case, motherboard, video card and power supply. Not sure about the RAM being reused, it is 800Mhz DDR2 (4 1GB sticks of PC2-6400E).
  • I would need a new case, motherboard, video card and power supply. Not sure about the RAM being reused, it is 800Mhz DDR2 (4 1GB sticks of PC2-6400E).
    Why can't you use the power supply from the existing computer? I have DDR 800 in my desktop.
  • 300W power supply with no extra power cabling.
  • edited March 2010
    I read on some forums about cutting part of the slot off so the x16 cards will fit (but run at x8) but I don't want to do that.
    This should work in theory, you wouldn't happen to be in the DC area, cause I have a 16X card I could loan you for testing.

EDIT: Alternatively.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I read on some forums about cutting part of the slot off so the x16 cards will fit (but run at x8) but I don't want to do that.
    This should work in theory, you wouldn't happen to be in the DC area, cause I have a 16X card I could loan you for testing.

EDIT:Alternatively.
    Is that a good idea? That 1x card has really bad reviews on Newegg.
  • Is that a good idea? That 1x card has really bad reviews on Newegg.
    I know, but the options it seems are limited. :(
  • I have a 16x card that I can test with. Yes, it also has a 1x slot.

I was hoping to find a decent 8x card somewhere but I can't find them. All I get when I search is an 8x to 16x adapter.
  • Why can't you just drop in a new motherboard? As long as it's an ATX case, you shouldn't have a problem.
  • It is a Dell case, not true ATX. It is custom to the motherboard (opening on back).