This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GDC 2010

edited March 2010 in Video Games
I'm going to be at GDC the latter half of this week. It's a shot in the dark, but curiosity compels me to ask: are any other forumites going?

Comments

• Ehhh... San Francisco was too far from L.A. for me to go. Besides, I have class this week.
  • Kiey said he was going.
  • I'm going to be atGDCthe latter half of this week. It's a shot in the dark, but curiosity compels me to ask: are any other forumites going?
    You're actually going? Sheeeeeeeet.

I think that people from Firaxis, PIXAR, Square, Microsoft, NVidia, etc. are all giving talks. Probably a lot to learn from them. Also, I'm sure there will be a zillion talks about achievements, etc. which I would attend.
  • Sid Meier himself is giving the keynote. :)

Also Eskil Steenberg (of Love) talking about procedural content.

And Scott, you may be particularly interested to know that there's a talk called "Achievements Considered Harmful?".

I'm still figuring out exactly what I'm going to go to, because there are far too many choices. Should be cool, though.
  • Also Eskil Steenberg (of Love) talking about procedural content.
    Yeah, I think he talked at last GDC also. I am very interested in procedural content. However, after actually playing the alpha of his game, I think he is a little closer to the crazy side of the crazy<->genius spectrum.
  • We should go next year.
    I'm going to put that in the "Rym and Scott Shit-talking" file.
  • I'm going to put that in the "Rym and Scott Shit-talking" file.
    Be warned that it's $800+ for a pass.
  • Be warned that it's $800+ for a pass.
    Are you paying for that out-of-pocket, or did you convince your workplace to fund it?
  • Be warned that it's $800+ for a pass.
    I get into far more "expensive" conventions for free. Press credentials/company incentives go a long way.
    I'm going to put that in the "Rym and Scott Shit-talking" file.
    Notice I said "should," not "will." I wouldn't go if I couldn't get a free pass. PAX and Connecticon are probably the only conventions I attend that I would pay to continue to attend were I not able to get into them gratis.
  • Notice I said "should," not "will." I wouldn't go if I couldn't get a free pass. PAX and Connecticon are probably the only conventions I attend that I would pay to continue to attend were I not able to get into them gratis.
    Why would you pay for Connecticon? I wouldn't. I might pay for Anime Boston or Otakon if they mailed badges. Also, we both pay for MoCCA Arts Festival every year.
  • Why would you pay for Connecticon? I wouldn't.
    Gaming. I'd sit in that game room for three days straight. Connecticon is bigger, closer, and cheaper than all those Jersey gaming cons. ^_~
  • Gaming. I'd sit in that game room for three days straight. Connecticon is bigger, closer, and cheaper than all those Jersey gaming cons. ^_~
    Yeah, but with NERDNYC events, that's mostly covered.
  • Yeah, but with NERDNYC events, that's mostly covered.
    True. My perspective on gaming cons is from the Beacon days. Actually being in the City makes for gaming whenever I want now. Still, there's something to be said for cloistering yourself in Hartford with nothing to do but game.
    I might pay for Anime Boston or Otakon if they mailed badges.
    If they mailed the badges indeed.
  • I'm going to put that in the "Rymand ScottShit-talking" file.
    I put your shit-talking into the same file, so the original name is correct.
  • I put your shit-talking into the same file, so the original name is correct.
    But my shit talking pile is so much smaller. Don't associate me with Rym's heap of turds.
  • But my shit talking pile is so much smaller. Don't associate me with Rym's heap of turds.
    I still stress that "should" doesn't mean "will." Saying you want to or should do something isn't shit talking. If I'd said, "We'll give the keynote at the next GDC," that would be shit-talking.
  • We'll give the keynote at the next GDC
    OK, into the shit-talking file with you. :P
  • edited March 2010
    I'm going to be atGDCthe latter half of this week. It's a shot in the dark, but curiosity compels me to ask: are any other forumites going?
    As I write this I am sitting in the south hall lobby at GDC. So yes, I am at GDC.

Rym and Scott could probably get press credentials... maybe. That gives you pretty much an all access level pass from what I understand. I personally sprung for the main conference pass this year, which I'm regretting somewhat since most of the three days of the conference I need to be networking/trying to land a job instead of going to really cool panels. Also I can't really do anything with the pass the first two days (yesterday and today) while the summits and tutorials are going on.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • But my shit talking pile is so much smaller. Don't associate me with Rym's heap of turds.
    I also have a "Rym and scott's Shit-talking" folder, but You will appreciate that I do file things in the correct subfolders.
  • Are you paying for that out-of-pocket, or did you convince your workplace to fund it?
    Work's footing the bill; there are four of us here.

Kiey, I'm mostly going to be in sessions, but if you see me wandering around (green hoodie, orange laptop bag, messy ponytail) feel free to bug me.
  • Are you paying for that out-of-pocket, or did you convince your workplace to fund it?
    Work's footing the bill; there are four of us here.

Kiey, I'm mostly going to be in sessions, but if you see me wandering around (green hoodie, orange laptop bag, messy ponytail) feel free to bug me.
    I am likewise going to be in sessions, at least from now until the end of the show tomorrow. I'm actually giving a little presentation to the Indie SIG with a classmate in about an hour.