This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100311 - Avatar

edited March 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss Avatar, with blue people, not the other one(s). In the news bikes without chains and banning salt.

Comments

Seriously, just go ahead and do it. I get that you're probably just trying to fill time on the episode, but it's not that big a deal. Shave it, and if you don't like it, it's back in a few months.
  • In the newsbikes without chains
    I'm surprised you guys didn't know about this. Trek has had this for months; it's pretty hot shit. The only downside is that that it almost doubles the cost of a bike (I'd rather save the $500 and carry an extra chain and tube of grease in my panniers), and the fact that all your gearing has to ride inside the hub. Plus, nothing like occasionally getting all greasy.
  • Seriously, just go ahead and do it. I get that you're probably just trying to fill time on the episode, but it's not that big a deal. Shave it, and if you don't like it, it's back in a few months.
    That image makes me not want to.
  • That image makes me not want to.
    It's also not actually your head, so you won't look quite like that.
  • Try this one instead. I took it just now in the mirror, so it's more up to date. Also, you can kinda mostly see the outline of my head.
  • Try this one instead. I took it just now in the mirror, so it's more up to date. Also, you can kinda mostly see the outline of my head.
    Why is it that almost every time I see you or a picture of you, you're wearing that shirt? I've only ever seen you or a picture of you like six times in my life, and at least 4 of those are of you in that shirt.
  • I started listening to this episode, thinking to myself, "wow, strange deja vu." Then I remember I was watching part of the Ustream.
  • Instead of a full shave, try a buzz cut. It will reduce the pale scalp issue and also works well with the halfway to balding hair.
  • What is with the mp3 info? I downloaded this episode directly and it's name is "ØA", artist and album are unknown, and the player says it's two hours long.
  • edited March 2010

edit: This was supposed to be a clip of the south park montage song but I just discovered it is blocked worldwide due to copyright bullshit.
    Edit2: Here is the official link to the clip
    Post edited by Pegu on
    Heh heh. This is fun.
  • That guy looks like he's about to shoot you.
  • Scott's a thug.
    Buzzcut Scott is a scary, scary man.
  • If he had a shave...

Hey, just listening to the episode now. I have a bike with a seven speed in-hub gear. It's fucking awesome.
    Buzzcut Scott is a scary, scary man.
    I know, but he looks so Bad Ass! All he needs now is a pair of killer shades and he'll be beating the ladies away with a stick.
  • edited March 2010
    I know, but he looks so Bad Ass!
    The ironic part is that that's a lady's bald head.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Hey, just listening to the episode now. I have a bike with a seven speed in-hub gear. It's fucking awesome.
    Update: I must admit, the bike is currently in the shop getting a new chain, because the old one stretched out and with no derailleur the lack of tension leads to the chain slipping off. Also, front suspension is a must. Listen to Rym about that, Scott, he's right and you won't regret it.
  • On a related note: Adam and I now have bikes!! ^_^
  • On a related note: Adam and I now have bikes!! ^_^
    Hooray! We shall have to go biking!
  • I gotta get two new inner tubes for my bike. I'm so smart I managed to rip the valve stem off of both pumping the thing up.
  • I need a bike. What should I look for in a bike these days?

The last good bike I owned was a Cannondale.
  • I need a bike. What should I look for in a bike these days?

The last good bike I owned was a Cannondale.
    What do you want to do with it?
  • If you're going to shave your head, it may as well be for a good cause: St. Baldrick's

I've got a friend that has raised about 1000$ doing this.
  • My bike was getting repaired, not just a new chain but something wrong with the front forks too. Turns out it's so broken it's not worth fixing, so I'm also in the market for a new bike. I know what I'm doing tomorrow... bike shopping!
  • If you're going to shave your head, it may as well be for a good cause:St. Baldrick's

I've got a friend that has raised about 1000$ doing this.
    It has the word Saint in the name, but it doesn't seem to be religious. That's good. The only thing is that this seems to be one of the ones where you pester friends and family for donations. Not a fan of that.
  • St. Baldricks? Bah! Locks of Love is a much more rewarding and worthwhile charity to do that for. Pete, didn't you get rid of your ponytail for Locks of Love?
  • St. Baldricks? Bah! Locks of Love is a much more rewarding and worthwhile charity to do that for. Pete, didn't you get rid of your ponytail for Locks of Love?
    10" minimum, not going to happen.
  • Pete, didn't you get rid of your ponytail for Locks of Love?
    Yup, that I did. Well, OK, I got rid of it because my hair was too thin to support a ponytail. It just so happened that it was long enough to donate to Locks of Love.