This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mathematics Within The Context of Information Technology (or Video Games or [Insert good idea here])

edited March 2010 in Technology
So my final paper for my math class this year asks us to create "a 5-7 page expository research paper that makes connections between Mathematics and a field or area of interest of your choice". Since I'm a geek I was thinking that either Information Technology or Video Games would be great places to start. Trouble is, I don't know enough about either to begin making the right kinds of searches.

Any ideas?

Comments

• For video games, you could look into physics engines. Things like the Havok Physics engine run on a ton of Math.
  • edited March 2010
    Physics engine
    I should clarify that I would have to do an oral presentation on the topic and that this is a math class for people who have trouble handling math more complicated than basic algebra. Most classes we only discuss math rather than actually do math.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Physics engine
    I should clarify that I would have to do an oral presentation on the topic and that this is a math class for people who have trouble handling math more complicated than basic algebra. Most classes we onlydiscussmath rather than actuallydomath.
    Y u do dis?
  • edited March 2010
    I should clarify that I would have to do an oral presentation on the topic and that this is a maths class for people who have trouble handling maths more complicated than basic algebra.
    So when you say basic algebra are we talking calculus level stuff? Or are we down at the poor level of quadratics?
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I should clarify that I would have to do an oral presentation on the topic and that this is a mathsclass for people who have trouble handling mathsmore complicated than basic algebra.
    So when you say basic algebra are we talking calculus level stuff? Or are we down at the poor level of quadratics?
    Algebra: quadratics and lower. Calc: basic functions.

It's basically a math class for people who's major doesn't need math...Like journalism.
  • So what if your major doesn't need math?
    Y u do dis?
  • edited March 2010
    So what if your major doesn't need math?
    Y u do dis?
    It's sort of a circular process. My skills have always been with language (writing, speaking, presenting, etc) so, since math was relatively hard, I avoided math in favor of literary courses.
    And since I didn't have enough practice with math, my skills never really grew beyond a certain point. And because my skills never grew beyond that point, math became harder as I progressed higher grades.
    So, to avoid those higher maths, I chose math classes that were more practical in every day use (Business Math) but not in the realm of academia.
    And because I chose those maths rather than more advanced maths, I wasn't prepared for maths normally used in more engineering based degrees (Information Technology), so I changed to a major that, while helping me on my path to my goal, was decidedly less interesting.
    As a result, I'm taking the required math course for that major (math 131: math ideas).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on