This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game: Nimbus Sky Princess

edited April 2010 in Art!
Hello! Long time no post. I've been keeping busy doing some portfolio upgrades and working on some side projects. The side project for February and March was a game entry for a mobile games themed contest. It's an effort between my boyfriend and I. The game was actually ready to play earlier in the week but I was waiting on a video. Tonight it's ready to show!
Here's our short 3 stage game, Nimbus Sky Princess.
7lC2_hQYJVE
Link to download here:
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/121655-nimbus-sky-princess/download
Feel free to test it out and let me know what you think. Let me know if you beat it! :3
Thanks!

Comments

• This looks totally awesome. Alas, I have no windows.
  • This looks great. Downloading.
  • edited April 2010
    I can't figure out how to activate the shield :(

[Edit] Got it, double tap the back arrow. Bosses are hard. Wish it could be full-screened somehow.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This looks totally awesome. Alas, I have no windows.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, I'll make it quick:
    -It would really benefit with some music
    -There is no "Pause" button it would seem
    -Level 1 was awesome, but right now I'm at level two, and it's just the ship and the BG cycling over and over, so I guess something went wrong.
    -I was going to complain about the screen size, but then I saw this is intended for mobile devices
    -BG work is AMAZING
    -The multipliers looked a lot like the power-ups in contra, so I kept trying to go for those, the actual power-ups didn't really look like power-ups, nor are they really descriptive of what they are, and since you can't switch between them, you can't really tell if you want them or not.
    -Same thing happened with the secondary weapon.
    -Do power-ups stack up? if I get two SMG power-ups, do I get a better SMG?
    -I've been writing this post with the game still running, and it's still stuck in the second level intro.
    -SFX are cute.
    -First boss fight was awesome, nice balance, not overpowering, but not really easy either.
    -I'm really impressed that you made this in 2 months time, kudos on that.

EDIT: Finished level one again, again I'm stuck, only this time I've got this stuck to me:

EDIT2: OK you can stack the normal power-ups.
    I restarted the game again, made it through level one with different weapons and:
    This time he wasn't even latching on to me.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited April 2010
    -It would really benefit with some music
    Awkward. The game has both. Dunno what's wrong with your speakers, but pause is Alt.

Also, you use the shield to get that thing off of you.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • -It would really benefit with some music
    Awkward. The game has both. Dunno what's wrong with your speakers, but pause is Alt.
    Thanks for the pause tip. I get the SFX but no music, I have a SB Live! 24-bit with all driver up to date if its any help. I'm running Win7 64-bit updated as well.
  • Thanks guys for testing it out!
    @theknoxinator and Li_Akahi: Sorry, the game is windows only. It's an engine limitation for now :/. Eventually mac should be a possible but not now. Not sure about Linux at all.
    @Sail: It can go full screen but we had to disable that function for the contest. When we make more content we'll probably enable the full screen again.
    Mr.Roboto: Thanks for such a detailed review!
    The bug you are experiencing (no music/stage 2 not loading) seems to happen randomly on vista and 7(as far as we know right now). There's nothing wrong with your speakers. It may be fixed simply if we upgrade to the newest version of the game maker engine. It will take a while to rework the code after the upgrade, but we will do that soon if there's a chance it will eliminate this bug. Can I ask, in the second screen shot you posted, were you unable to shoot? If not that helps in narrowing down which variable this bug is screwing with.
    Thanks again for playing the game!
  • Can I ask, in the second screen shot you posted, were you unable to shoot? If not that helps in narrowing down which variable this bug is screwing with.
    I was able to dash and deploy the shields, but no shooting. I also tried to get killed by constantly bumping into the critter to no avail.
  • This morning I got to the third stage but couldn't progress because I had just died and didn't have any energy weapons to break the shields. Is there another way?
  • Dash through them.
  • Tried. It didn't work.
  • It did for me.
  • I just kept on either getting hurt or getting trapped or both.
  • Double tap up/down, right?
  • edited April 2010
    It's a little painful trying to play this on a 17" screen with 1920x1200 screen resolution, I must say. I had to turn the resolution down.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2010
    Dash them from above, not below - that's where their grabbers are.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, I finished the game. It was awesome, and well designed.
    I died ~8 times in the 3rd level (almost all, if not all, on the boss) after not dying before that. However, I think my final score didn't get recorded.

EDIT:
    You need to make sure you can't kill the squid at the end ^_~ Also, plasma ball + spamcannon ftw.
    EDIT2: Yep, when you win your score doesn't get recorded. I finished without dying and would easily have had 15k or so points, but it didn't go into the scores so my high score remains at 11085.
  • I got a score of 0 for the first level (admittedly, the Atom N270 helped there), yet the game gave me a "C" - what's up with that?
  • @LackofCheese: I'm really glad you're enjoying the game ^_^!
    I know it's a total pain to play such a tiny resolution game. Full screen is disabled for the contest. For newer builds we'll enable it again.
    About the scoring, the stage end currently doesn't properly cut off your combo to add up your actual score. We'll fix that function in the next build as well as put in the lower grade ranks. It is currently cut off at "C" as the lowest grade.