This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pluto

edited August 2006 in Everything Else
So, if Pluto is not a planet because Neptune is in it's orbit, then isn't Neptune no longer a planet because Pluto is in it's orbit?

Comments

• That was actually my first thought too. But then my second thought was that Rym and Scott, no offence, have little in the way of astronomical (I very nearly typed astrologcial, how embarassing) background. If not one but two traditional planets had been lowered to the rank of Minor I'm sure we would have heard about it.
  • It actually has to do with the fact that Pluto is greatly effected by Neptunes gavitational pull. I know that sounds weird but science has shown that Neptune is almost completely unaffected by Pluto pull
  • I understand that Neptune is far more in line with the classical "feel" of what a planet should be but... Doesn't Neptune spin on it's side? Or is it the Windy one... I've got the planet song from Blues Clues running through my head (kids will do that to you)..

"Well the sun's a hot star
    Mercury's hot too
    Venus is the brightest planet
    Earth's home to me and you
    Mars is the Red one
    Jupiter's most wide
    Saturn's got those icy ring
    and Uranus spins on it's side
    Neptune's really windy
    and Pluto's real small..."
  • edited August 2006
    Anyone else notice they played Futurama's Pluto episode last night on Cartoon Network?
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • SAVE PLUTO! Do not let the astronomers split up the planets! If Pluto goes, we could be next!
  • 1) Pluto is about a half the size of Earth's moon.
    2) Pluto was the only planet that has no magnetic feild (yes Mercury does has a small magnetic feild)
    3) There are a lot of asteroids in Plutos orbit, so it has not cleared it path.
  • You know they're not after Pluto, this is the first step to something else. They're really after Uranus.
  • My anus! *Hides.*

((Sorry I just had to do that.))
  • Pluto is the most powerfull robot ever.
  • Thats no planet....thats a space station!
  • The first thing I thought when I heard this news was "Poor Sailor Pluto".
  • I just keep wondering why it took them so long to make a decision.
  • edited August 2006
    I would have gotten a A in a science test this would have being proven 15 years ago.

I want my "A" Mrs. Rodriges , I want it now
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Pluto will always remain a planet in my heart.
  • I think the main reason Pluto is gone, and there's all this talk about it, is because there's never really been a strict definition of what a planet is. With the new rules, scientists are now more easily able to determine what can be considered a planet, which will most definitely be useful in the future. As for Pluto, I don't personally care as to whether it's considered a planet or not. I know it exists, and I know enough about it to see why the scientists did what they did, and that works for me.
  • I just read something about the Battle of Stalingrad in WW2 (I'm going somewhere). So the Russians are mounting a counter attack to finally recapture the city they call it "Operation Uranus". Now I don't wanna laugh while reading about a very bloody battle but how can I help it when its talking about sneak attacks under Operation Uranus?
  • I just read something about the Battle of Stalingrad in WW2 (I'm going somewhere). So the Russians are mounting a counter attack to finally recapture the city they call it "Operation Uranus". Now I don't wanna laugh while reading about a very bloody battle but how can I help it when its talking about sneak attacks under Operation Uranus?
    Sneak attacks, from behind!
  • I wonder what'll happen to TYPE Pluto now?</utter geek>
  • I'm from Kansas, and our university, KU, is going insane over this topic. It's stupid, I know, but the who school wants it to stay a regular planet, just because a professor there discovered it.
  • The fact that this is still a matter for debate among the non-scientists amazes me. No one should care whether or not scientists apply an arbitrary label to an arbitrary body in space. Keeping the definition of "planet" broad enough to include Pluto makes the very word "planet" too broad and thus useless.

Almost every statement I've seen online against the change was either a straight-up appeal to emotion, a weak argument concerning having to "change all the textbooks," or a pseudo-scientific argument by someone who obviously doesn't quite grasp what was done.

Why would anyone care? Who has a vested interested in keeping Pluto's designation as a "planet?"
  • I don't see how Pluto's Planetary status can effect people in the slightest. If these people want to make a stink about this, that is their deal. The only people that this effects are the people whom teach science and history. However, if these educators can't make an alibi, and adjust fire than they have no right teaching the youth.
  • I don't really get the argument either. I know very little about space and I'm happy to leave to definition of such things to experts. It does however amuse me to say things like "Uranus will be next".
  • Oh, Uranus jokes are always important. ^_~
  • At least we know that in the future they'll solve the joke issue by renaming the planet Urectum.
  • Lol, it's not like Pluto is going to "go away" because we call it something different. It's still a body in the solar system, kids are still going to be learning about it.