This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

8TB Server.

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
So the highlight of my weekend was not getting my iPad, it was building a new server. Here's the video.

CvMa8E8ix6Q

P.S. Rym & Scott, please do a show in April. Thank you.

Comments

• P.S. Rym & Scott, please do a show in April. Thank you.
    I don't know... maybe we'll take April off. lol

Also, what do you need 8TB for? Rocking some HD video?
  • Fun vid Thaed, don't fill up those 6TBs TOOOOO quickly.

Also, after hearing your voice I miss Friday Night Party Line again. Ah well.
  • edited April 2010
    Also, after hearing your voice I miss Friday Night Party Line again. Ah well.
    Oh man, I feel ya there. It's been almost a year since the last FNPL.

@Thaed Oh geeze, A Matrox card! I remember one of the first computers I ever built had a matrox millennium card in it. I had one lying around until a couple months ago when my last computer with an AGP card slot died.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Nicely done, Thaed. I've been considering repurposing some of my old hardware into a NAS for some time now and your video brought back that itch to get it built and up on the LAN. Granted, trying to explain to my girlfriend why we need a NAS is going to be a chore, but it'll dovetail nicely with the HTPC I'm planning on building as well. Hmm - maybe I should build the HTPC first. *wanders off to consider his next move*
  • Hmm - maybe I should build the HTPC first. *wanders off to consider his next move*
    At current (and future) storage prices, you could likely build them both at once.
  • I had 3 projects on my agenda for 2010: an HTPC (built), the new server (built) and a new flagship machine (still a dream). And Scott (1) thanks for the new show and (2) you can never have enought terabytes. :-)
  • Drobo just came out with a new one that has only an ethernet plug. Anybody want to take a second gen Drobo off my hands so I can justify buying $700 worth of industrial design?
  • Drobo just came out with a new one that has only an ethernet plug. Anybody want to take a second gen Drobo off my hands so I can justify buying $700 worth of industrial design?
    Nope. I refused to buy a Drobo because it didn't come with networking. Now that it does, I'm definitely not going to get the old crummy one.
  • What do people think is a good amount of hard drive space for today's techie user? 1TB? 8TB? I'm thinking my next computer will have around 3-5TB, and I hope to god I don't use all of it (I'm going to start getting into making movies again, maybe. Hopefully I'm not just shittalking about this).
  • What do people think is a good amount of hard drive space for today's techie user? 1TB? 8TB? I'm thinking my next computer will have around 3-5TB, and I hope to god I don't use all of it (I'm going to start getting into making movies again, maybe. Hopefully I'm not just shittalking about this).
    I'm giving my server 10TB, but my flagship only has one, because I don't trust too much data to anything other than dedicated storage.
    I'm giving my server 10TB, but my flagship only has one, because I don't trust too much data to anything other than dedicated storage.
    QFT. I just "upgraded" to a 64G SSD and just stream all my media.
  • edited April 2010
    My desktop's got 1TB total.. I'm still cool, right? Right? :'3c

Also, nice to see the Thaed persona making it's return.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • My desktop's got 1TB total.. I'm still cool, right? Right? :'3c
    You're always cool. My server is just a sketch, at this point.
  • I have a RAID-1 1.5TB server setup and my desktop only have a single 640GB drive. Both are no where near full.
  • With more music, video, and games moving to the cloud, the continuing drive size boom confuses me. I have a 160GB drive and it suits me just fine. What in the world are you folks doing? If you're hoarding video, I can see the need for a TB drive, but are you seriously watching the same movie multiple times to justify not just burning it to a disc? I am a compulsive drive space cleaner. If it's not in active use, it's beleted.
  • A 1.5TB HDD is worth 30 DVDs, though. Plus, what if you happen to have a laptop without a disc drive? When I get a laptop, I'm going to swap the internal drive out for an SSD, and have an external storage drive for media.
  • My home server is puny compared to all of yours. 1 60gb drive: 1 6gb partition for windows, 1 54gb partition for storage.
  • Yes, I am a digital pack-rat, but I've got nothing on this guy.

I highly recommend that everyone take a look at Gordon Bell's book. It is fascinating and horrifying at the same time.
  • At current (and future) storage prices, you could likely build them both at once.
    It's not so much the price of storage media that bugs me, it's the price of the other stuff that has to go around it. The HTPC is going to be a scratch-build and until I get a HDTV (or at least one with an HDMI or VGA port on it) it's going to have to have a video card in it that'll do S-Vid or RCA/Composite out. I also want it to be able to handle the TV capture on its own, so it's got to have room for at least one PCI add-in card. I already have both of those parts, so that leaves me with needing the mobo, ram, HDD, proc, and case. Something tells me that I'm going to be building this one just like I did all my other PCs: one piece at a time. :D
  • Something tells me that I'm going to be building this one just like I did all my other PCs: one piece at a time. :D
    But then things age while you gather pieces! Best to save and buy everything at once.
  • Yes, I am a digital pack-rat, but I've got nothing onthis guy.

I highly recommend that everyone take a look at Gordon Bell's book. It is fascinating and horrifying at the same time.
    Strange Days (an underappreciated movie in my opinion) delves into the idea pretty well on the individual level. Basically, the protagonist is addicted to reliving recorded experiences from the better days of his life, preventing him from moving forward.

Interestingly, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles also explores the idea of reliving the past versus forgetting it for the future.
  • Strange Days(an underappreciated movie in my opinion) delves into the idea pretty well on the individual level. Basically, the protagonist is addicted to reliving recorded experiences from the better days of his life, preventing him from moving forward.

Interestingly,Final Fantasy: Crystal Chroniclesalso explores the idea of reliving the past versus forgetting it for the future.

I think the concept is a truism. You are a) living in the past and not advancing/choosing to fully accept the present, b) fully in the moment with no care to past nor future, or c) obsessing on the future which can lead to a similar stagnation I pointed out in point a. Life is balance, IMHO. Mostly b with dashes of a and c is optimal but hard to achieve.